blah

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Volforlife
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:22 pm

blah

Postby Volforlife » Sat May 04, 2013 6:30 pm

blah
Last edited by Volforlife on Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia $$ vs Cornell $$$

Postby jbagelboy » Sat May 04, 2013 6:45 pm

Columbia. You are in an extremely fortunate position to most likely be getting a cLS degree debt free. I will be loaning out $140K with the same scholarship amount!

If this was legitimately 40K/yr at cornell v 60 total CLS, my vote would be a lot harder, but with your families' mitigating financial circumstance, this choice is easy.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Columbia $$ vs Cornell $$$

Postby sinfiery » Sat May 04, 2013 6:57 pm

Pick the school you like the most I guess, can't go wrong. Gratz.

Financially, it's a slight win for Cornell without your parents aid and at zero debt CLS wins.



Also, I'd much rather be at median at CLS than Cornell even with 100k more debt given your goals. Change that to bottom 35%ish and yeah, definitely Cornell.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Columbia $$ vs Cornell $$$

Postby hephaestus » Sat May 04, 2013 7:04 pm

I would go Cornell here. That's a serious savings, especially when COL is factored in. Columbia is a great choice too. I don't think you can go wrong here.

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: Columbia $$ vs Cornell $$$

Postby phillywc » Sat May 04, 2013 7:09 pm

Your stats make me very hopeful for next cycle! Any extraordinary softs/URM/anything, if you don't mind me asking?

Volforlife
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: Columbia $$ vs Cornell $$$

Postby Volforlife » Sat May 04, 2013 7:21 pm

Thanks for the input thus far. I may be coming off as an incredibly anxious person because of my financial concerns, but I'm sure we all share the fear of big debt and no job. I am no financial wiz, so it is hard for me to determine how much risk is reasonable to take on for Columbia.

phillywc wrote:Your stats make me very hopeful for next cycle! Any extraordinary softs/URM/anything, if you don't mind me asking?


PM'ed, but the short answer is no.

User avatar
Lacepiece23
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Columbia $$ vs Cornell $$$

Postby Lacepiece23 » Sat May 04, 2013 8:55 pm

Go Conrell save the skrilla and be happy when you have a NYC firm with a lot less debt. Yes you will get better firms at a lower ranking attending Columbia. However, in the end if your not just chasing prestige to chase it you can do quite well coming from Cornell, for a lot cheaper.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: Columbia $$ vs Cornell $$$

Postby NYstate » Sat May 04, 2013 9:08 pm

Dude: if you can go to Columbia for free barring any major disaster in the next three years, you should go to Columbia.

I'm debt averse but even I like the chances of you making it the next 3 years without disaster. If your parents can afford it and don't care, just go to Columbia.

If you are really worried, get them to pay for 1L and 2L- and you cover 3L.
Last edited by NYstate on Sat May 04, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3096
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Columbia $$ vs Cornell $$$

Postby Lavitz » Sat May 04, 2013 9:18 pm

I really want to say Cornell because I'm tired of people defecting to Columbia, but the more I look at this:
Volforlife wrote:Best case scenario (i.e., family help): debt free at either school.

the more I think Columbia is worth it here.

Volforlife
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: Columbia $$ vs Cornell $$$

Postby Volforlife » Sat May 04, 2013 10:56 pm

Lavitz wrote:I really want to say Cornell because I'm tired of people defecting to Columbia, but the more I look at this:
Volforlife wrote:Best case scenario (i.e., family help): debt free at either school.

the more I think Columbia is worth it here.


Columbia (potentially) debt free is very tempting, hence my second thoughts about Cornell. However, saving my family ~50 large is also tempting. Imagine the well-deserved vacation my parents could take with 50k. They would never want me to turn down Columbia in order to save them money, but they are often blinded by their own benevolence.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Columbia $$ vs Cornell $$$

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sat May 04, 2013 11:06 pm

Volforlife wrote:
Lavitz wrote:I really want to say Cornell because I'm tired of people defecting to Columbia, but the more I look at this:
Volforlife wrote:Best case scenario (i.e., family help): debt free at either school.

the more I think Columbia is worth it here.


Columbia (potentially) debt free is very tempting, hence my second thoughts about Cornell. However, saving my family ~50 large is also tempting. Imagine the well-deserved vacation my parents could take with 50k. They would never want me to turn down Columbia in order to save them money, but they are often blinded by their own benevolence.


Take out 50k in loans and go to Columbia. That is a damn pittance.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3096
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Columbia $$ vs Cornell $$$

Postby Lavitz » Sat May 04, 2013 11:24 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Take out 50k in loans and go to Columbia. That is a damn pittance.

Or you could work out a deal where you pay them back 50K after if you land biglaw. Although if they're as benevolent as you say, I suppose they may refuse taking back the money.

nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: Columbia $$ vs Cornell $$$

Postby nebula666 » Sat May 04, 2013 11:49 pm

CLS by a mile

User avatar
HBBJohnStamos
Posts: 456
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Columbia $$ vs Cornell $$$

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Sun May 05, 2013 1:23 am

nebula666 wrote:CLS by a mile


(0L)

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia $$ vs Cornell $$$

Postby jbagelboy » Sun May 05, 2013 1:32 am

Lacepiece23 wrote:Go Conrell save the skrilla and be happy when you have a NYC firm with a lot less debt. Yes you will get better firms at a lower ranking attending Columbia. However, in the end if your not just chasing prestige to chase it you can do quite well coming from Cornell, for a lot cheaper.


I think some people are voting for cornell without reading the OP. its no debt either way. Cornell is a great school, but Columbia is a clear winner here on all counts. (If his parents couldnt afford it, they wouldnt offer. It sounds like they know what they're doing).

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Columbia $$ vs Cornell $$$

Postby 09042014 » Sun May 05, 2013 1:35 am

Columbia. Your boomer parents money should have zero value to you. So spend it.

User avatar
Lacepiece23
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Columbia $$ vs Cornell $$$

Postby Lacepiece23 » Sun May 05, 2013 1:50 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:Go Conrell save the skrilla and be happy when you have a NYC firm with a lot less debt. Yes you will get better firms at a lower ranking attending Columbia. However, in the end if your not just chasing prestige to chase it you can do quite well coming from Cornell, for a lot cheaper.


I think some people are voting for cornell without reading the OP. its no debt either way. Cornell is a great school, but Columbia is a clear winner here on all counts. (If his parents couldnt afford it, they wouldnt offer. It sounds like they know what they're doing).


yeah i'm one of them i never read the OP just look at the poll look at the money and always pick the lower rank school that gave that scholly offer. If its still within the T14 and not GeorgeTTTown.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: Columbia $$ vs Cornell $$$

Postby NYstate » Sun May 05, 2013 5:05 am

Volforlife wrote:
Lavitz wrote:I really want to say Cornell because I'm tired of people defecting to Columbia, but the more I look at this:
Volforlife wrote:Best case scenario (i.e., family help): debt free at either school.

the more I think Columbia is worth it here.


Columbia (potentially) debt free is very tempting, hence my second thoughts about Cornell. However, saving my family ~50 large is also tempting. Imagine the well-deserved vacation my parents could take with 50k. They would never want me to turn down Columbia in order to save them money, but they are often blinded by their own benevolence.


Are you crazy? Take the money. Go to the best school. This is almost a very stupid humble brag thread. " my parents will pay for my COA and difference from my scholarship but I don't know if I should take them up on this offer. If they lose their jobs that allow them to pay these huge sums, I will have to borrow money. What to do?"

Do you have any idea how much easier your life and career will be because of this? Just having COA covered would be a huge benefit to most people.
The difference to your potential career could be huge.

If you changed the title to Columbia or Cornell for free, everyone would vote Columbia.

nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: Columbia $$ vs Cornell $$$

Postby nebula666 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:36 am

HBBJohnStamos wrote:
nebula666 wrote:CLS by a mile


(0L)


2L but that's OK. $60k more for CLS is a pretty easy decision.

Volforlife
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: Columbia $$ vs Cornell $$$

Postby Volforlife » Sun May 05, 2013 2:55 pm

I really appreciate all the input. Also, I realize now that, although unintentionally so,
This is almost a very stupid humble brag thread
Sorry about that. This thread has functioned somewhat like a coin flip to me. I threw the question out there and, once all the pro-Columbia comments/votes came rolling in, I found myself really pulling for Cornell. I have until Wednesday to decide, but I will likely be choosing Cornell. Go Big Red.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Columbia $$ vs Cornell $$$

Postby sinfiery » Sun May 05, 2013 5:31 pm

And there goes the TWIST!

Gratz man, can't go wrong.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: Columbia $$ vs Cornell $$$

Postby NYstate » Sun May 05, 2013 5:38 pm

Volforlife wrote:I really appreciate all the input. Also, I realize now that, although unintentionally so,
This is almost a very stupid humble brag thread
Sorry about that. This thread has functioned somewhat like a coin flip to me. I threw the question out there and, once all the pro-Columbia comments/votes came rolling in, I found myself really pulling for Cornell. I have until Wednesday to decide, but I will likely be choosing Cornell. Go Big Red.


You should go to Columbia because you are more likely to get big law. Also, you will be in New York which will make everything about getting a job in NYC much, much easier.

You are making the wrong choice. How will you know that if everyone had pulled for Cornell that you wouldn't have wanted to go to Columbia?

Even if they had pushed for Cornell, you should still go to Columbia.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Columbia $$ vs Cornell $$$

Postby sinfiery » Sun May 05, 2013 5:51 pm

There is no way this is a mistake unless you inherently value the money of your parents as worthless which I highly doubt OP did.

This is close enough to being a toss up that I can't imagine you being so adamant that CLS is worth 60k more than Cornell. Yes, there are slightly better job prospects for biglaw plus clerkship but 60k plus COL difference is a big.chunk of change that easily equates to being worth more.than the difference in certain characters personalities.

MrBlueSky!
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 7:11 pm

Re: Columbia $$ vs Cornell $$$

Postby MrBlueSky! » Sun May 05, 2013 5:53 pm

.
Last edited by MrBlueSky! on Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3096
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Columbia $$ vs Cornell $$$

Postby Lavitz » Sun May 05, 2013 6:14 pm

NYstate wrote:Also, you will be in New York which will make everything about getting a job in NYC much, much easier.

Can you explain how this works, exactly? Genuinely curious.

sinfiery wrote:There is no way this is a mistake unless you inherently value the money of your parents as worthless which I highly doubt OP did.

This is close enough to being a toss up that I can't imagine you being so adamant that CLS is worth 60k more than Cornell. Yes, there are slightly better job prospects for biglaw plus clerkship but 60k plus COL difference is a big.chunk of change that easily equates to being worth more.than the difference in certain characters personalities.

This. I have similar goals to the OP and a $60,000 difference in scholarships is right where I'd have a difficult time choosing between the two schools.

MrBlueSky! wrote:Also, how do the two schools stack up against each other in the field you are going for, transactional law (I have no clue if they are comparable).

No idea if this is even relevant, but Cornell's been trying to beef up its transactional offerings: http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/spotli ... Lawyer.cfm




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests