Columbia v.Chicago Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
switchis32

Bronze

Re: Columbia v.Chicago

Post by switchis32 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:39 am

jbagelboy wrote:
switchis32 wrote:The coa of columbia is about 240k (over three years) and for chicago it is 225k. I have a full ride at chicago and about a half ride at columbia. I am from california and intend on practicing here as well. Like I said above i want to be in human rights/immigration/labor law
Between these two obviously Chicago. But if you have a full ride there you must have a near full ride at NYu, again, better for your goals. Also, full ride at Chicago probably means Stanford too, which would be the best school to get back to CA. So SLS > NYU (assuming full ride) > Chicago > CLS. No idea why you've chosen these two schools.
I did apply to nyu and didn't get nearly as much. I got a named scholarship from chicago (not ruby). Some of you have asked and I got dinged at both Harvard and Yale. And I am currently sitting on a waitlist at Stanford. Chicago is cool and
Makes sense money wise, but I am just concerned with the curriculum at Chicago. With regards to the areas of the law that I have mentioned, I feel as though Columbia has a larger selection of courses. Btw sorry for the delay, due to a busy weekend I had to step away from tls.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 06, 2013 2:12 am

switchis32 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
switchis32 wrote:The coa of columbia is about 240k (over three years) and for chicago it is 225k. I have a full ride at chicago and about a half ride at columbia. I am from california and intend on practicing here as well. Like I said above i want to be in human rights/immigration/labor law
Between these two obviously Chicago. But if you have a full ride there you must have a near full ride at NYu, again, better for your goals. Also, full ride at Chicago probably means Stanford too, which would be the best school to get back to CA. So SLS > NYU (assuming full ride) > Chicago > CLS. No idea why you've chosen these two schools.
I did apply to nyu and didn't get nearly as much. I got a named scholarship from chicago (not ruby). Some of you have asked and I got dinged at both Harvard and Yale. And I am currently sitting on a waitlist at Stanford. Chicago is cool and
Makes sense money wise, but I am just concerned with the curriculum at Chicago. With regards to the areas of the law that I have mentioned, I feel as though Columbia has a larger selection of courses. Btw sorry for the delay, due to a busy weekend I had to step away from tls.
I understand this. the grading system at Chicago scares me too. Both schools will be most likely be equally competitive though. Columbia will have more courses because it is a significantly larger student body. I could give you the reasons I chose CLS over Chicago, but I have different goals from you and actually had more money at Columbia.

If you have a full ride named scholarship at Chicago, I would definitely take it regardless. I understand your situation a little more clearly now.

switchis32

Bronze

Post by switchis32 » Mon May 06, 2013 4:32 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
switchis32 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
I understand this. the grading system at Chicago scares me too. Both schools will be most likely be equally competitive though. Columbia will have more courses because it is a significantly larger student body. I could give you the reasons I chose CLS over Chicago, but I have different goals from you and actually had more money at Columbia.

If you have a full ride named scholarship at Chicago, I would definitely take it regardless. I understand your situation a little more clearly now.
do you think that less of a class selection should be something to be legitimately worried about?

The Brainalist

Bronze

Post by The Brainalist » Mon May 06, 2013 4:33 pm

You may be overthinking the curriculum. With your three different interests I highly doubt you would find yourself without relevant electives at any top school, especially in something like labor law.

Also, my understanding is that small schools like Stanford and Chicago offset the usual lack of offerings relative to larger schools through the quarter system, which effectively allows for 50% more available classes. Assuming four courses a term, that's 24 elective courses at Chicago, and 16 courses at Columbia over 2L and 3L. Even if Chicago only offers 2 courses each term with the words Labor, Employment, Immigration, International, Human Rights, or Discrimination, in the title, you'll still have taken 12 courses in your area of interest and still have space for clinical units or units from interning.

I think it is possible that one can over-focus on taking only classes in a designated area, to the detriment of the larger picture. E.g., if you want to be a good immigration lawyer, you'll also need to take general litigation and federal law courses like evidence, appellate advocacy, and con law. If you want to be a good labor lawyer, you probably want to take at least the basic corporations classes and perhaps a seminar on drafting contracts. I'd be kind of wary, even if you decided to go to Columbia, of taking all 16 elective courses in just classes with key-words in the titles. Ultimately, all specialties exist within the general, one way or another.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Mon May 06, 2013 4:34 pm

switchis32 wrote: do you think that less of a class selection should be something to be legitimately worried about?
absolutely not, classes are a flame anyway

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Mon May 06, 2013 4:36 pm

You're crazy not to take the full ride. But it's clear there's no convincing you. Go with god and enjoy Columbia.

switchis32

Bronze

Post by switchis32 » Mon May 06, 2013 4:43 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:You're crazy not to take the full ride. But it's clear there's no convincing you. Go with god and enjoy Columbia.
what? who said there was no convincing me? I am just voicing my concerns and trying to get of what other people thought...

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Mon May 06, 2013 4:52 pm

There is absolutely no reason to turn down a full ride at Chicago.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Mon May 06, 2013 4:53 pm

switchis32 wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:You're crazy not to take the full ride. But it's clear there's no convincing you. Go with god and enjoy Columbia.
what? who said there was no convincing me? I am just voicing my concerns and trying to get of what other people thought...
If you're still voicing your concerns and still don't understand that the marginal differences between these two school don't outweigh the insane amount of money you'll be getting from UChi, there is no convincing you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 06, 2013 5:01 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
switchis32 wrote:
If you're still voicing your concerns and still don't understand that the marginal differences between these two school don't outweigh the insane amount of money you'll be getting from UChi, there is no convincing you.
switchis32 wrote:
do you think that less of a class selection should be something to be legitimately worried about?
Not only are these "marginal" differences, but your concern seems to be rooted in educational experience and not placement power or opportunities. I believe classes are important for your 3 years in law school. And to this point, UChicago offers a BETTER educational experience than CLS, with smaller class sizes, more involved professors, a slightly more intellectually intense environment. This is coming from someone who chose Columbia. To reiterate, if you are worried about Chicago for its ability to provide a quality legal education, the only better place might be Yale.

tractal

New

Post by tractal » Mon May 06, 2013 5:22 pm

It's good to want to get all the info, but at the end of the day you will be spending $100,000 for no significant difference in outcome opportunity. Unless for some reason you know you would absolutely hate your life at Uchicago this is as close to a nobrainer as it can get.

Please go to Uchicago. Paying a cool 100 grand for an elective or 2 is beyond words. Especially considering your non-biglaw goals that extra -100k stands a very good chance of being the biggest regret of your life.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”