Rutgers vs Cardozo vs BU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
timbs4339

Re: Rutgers vs Cardozo vs BU

Postby timbs4339 » Mon May 06, 2013 12:14 pm

I stopped reading at "my pre-law advisor said..."

These guys suck. Usually they are burned out poly-sci profs who want an extra couple G's a semester. They probably know less about law school admissions than a 0L who browsed TLS for 15 minutes.

thejerseykid

Postby thejerseykid » Mon May 06, 2013 2:02 pm

I think, in this instance, the advisor is simply unaware of how law school admissions currently work. For example, at least part of his reasoning for discouraging LSAT retakes is his belief that, if you retake, law schools will use the average of your scores. So, even if you scored higher, your overall improvement would be limited by your first score. Of course, even explaining to him that most of the representatives at the law school forum said they would place more emphasis on the highest score didn't really change his views.

Everyone here has provided some great advice and some fantastic resources (NoodleyOne's guide in particular seems like it's going to be a big help for studying) all of which I'm grateful for. I'm thinking I will probably go the "retake and reapply" route then. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

This does leave me with a few new questions about the whole reapplying process. Naturally, I would expect to write a new personal statement and update my resume if possible but, I am wondering if it would be necessary to get new LoRs, especially for the schools that I would be applying to for a second time. I've read several posts on the site which suggest it's not necessary but I'm wondering if it would be best to contact the schools specifically and ask if they would prefer new recommendations. I'm not sure if these questions would best be answered through a pm since we're no longer discussing the thread subject but, if anyone familiar with the reapplying process is able to provide some insight, I would appreciate it.

elm84dr

Postby elm84dr » Sat May 25, 2013 9:21 am

thejerseykid wrote:
froglee wrote:Cardozo is the obvious choice. Full scholarship and powerful alumni network.

Alright, I will admit, considering Rutgers and Cardozo alongside BU is a bit ridiculous. I understand that, normally, the offer from BU would be a no-brainer but many of the posts that I've read on this site suggest that, aside from the T-14, you should select a school that leaves you with the least amount of debt and is located near or in the region where you want to work. Since I am interested in working in Jersey, I was a bit confused as to how I should approach the decision.

I think you may be misinterpreting TLS advice. There are certain non-top 14 schools that are not equal to others. Vanderbilt, Fordham, BU, BC, GW, UT are not equal to Arizona, Alabama, Indiana. The former feed into big legal markets and the latter do not. This is just for the top 30. Rutgers and Cardozo are FAR OUTSIDE the top 30. Your chances of getting a great position out of these schools is under 10%. So no, a full ride w/ stipend at Rutgers or Cardozo is not better than a half ride at BC, BU, GW, Fordham, etc. The TLS common sentiment is that a full ride at BC is better than a half ride at Vandy---thats the debt/benefit analysis here.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

elm84dr wrote:
thejerseykid wrote:
froglee wrote:Cardozo is the obvious choice. Full scholarship and powerful alumni network.

Alright, I will admit, considering Rutgers and Cardozo alongside BU is a bit ridiculous. I understand that, normally, the offer from BU would be a no-brainer but many of the posts that I've read on this site suggest that, aside from the T-14, you should select a school that leaves you with the least amount of debt and is located near or in the region where you want to work. Since I am interested in working in Jersey, I was a bit confused as to how I should approach the decision.

I think you may be misinterpreting TLS advice. There are certain non-top 14 schools that are not equal to others. Vanderbilt, Fordham, BU, BC, GW, UT are not equal to Arizona, Alabama, Indiana. The former feed into big legal markets and the latter do not. This is just for the top 30. Rutgers and Cardozo are FAR OUTSIDE the top 30. Your chances of getting a great position out of these schools is under 10%. So no, a full ride w/ stipend at Rutgers or Cardozo is not better than a half ride at BC, BU, GW, Fordham, etc. The TLS common sentiment is that a full ride at BC is better than a half ride at Vandy---thats the debt/benefit analysis here.

for your goals if rutgers and cardozo are = cost, you should go to rutgers.

BU won't do that well in NJ - probably still better than rutgers, but not enough to make sticker worth it. BU is also kind of a "trap school" in that it's a good school with impressive students, but not good enough to get lots of jobs.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat May 25, 2013 2:37 pm

My god this thread wants me to find a job as a pre-law advisor just to make some $$$$. Most of those people suck.

OP: I really think you should re-take and aim for the "big boys" (seriously, I bet you'd get into Cornell/GULC and possibly Mich/Duke/UVA/etc. with no re-take and that GPA). If you know 100% you just want to do small law in NJ, then go ahead and go to Rutgers (don't go to BU/Cardozo no matter what), but you can do a lot better than that with those grades. If you have questions about the NJ legal market and going out of state, PM me. I'm a recent law grad from NJ and did a bunch of interviewing in NJ during 2L year.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”