Rutgers vs Cardozo vs BU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
thejerseykid

Rutgers vs Cardozo vs BU

Postby thejerseykid » Sat May 04, 2013 4:05 pm

Hello everyone,

I visit this site frequently and appreciate most of the opinions offered here so I figured I'd create an account to get some advice if possible. As the situation currently stands, I have the three following options:

BU ($75,000 scholarship)

Cardozo (Full tuition scholarship)

Rutgers-Newark ($69,000 scholarship, which is pretty much full tuition)

Regardless of where I attend, I am expecting to graduate without any debt due to a combination of savings (I attended undergraduate on a full scholarship) and help from my parents. I'm from Jersey and wouldn't mind working here. I've never lived anywhere else so I don't really have any reason to leave. I'm currently leaning towards public interest or state/local government (the later only in the case that I remain in this state). My LSAT score is 166 and my GPA is 3.97 and I've only taken the LSAT once.

From what I've read on this site, it seems Rutgers should be the clear choice for me. Rutgers offers an interesting opportunity through their Community Law Clinic to work with charter schools. This is something I'd genuinely be interested in as someone who attended an inner city school in Jersey and believes that charter schools are the right step to improving education in this state. BU doesn't seem to offer any clinics or concentrations that would provide a similar experience and I'm not sure if it would even provide me with a good opportunity to return to Jersey after graduation. I'm a bit concerned, however, with Rutgers' (and even Cardozo's) less than impressive reputation (I understand the infamous areyouinsane most likely attended one of these schools) and employment statistics. As a result, I'm trying to determine whether it would be a bigger risk to attend BU and try to return to Jersey after graduating or to attend Rutgers.

Also, I am currently on the waitlist for NYU and it seems that they also have a good reputation in public interest and their Brennan Center Public Policy Advocacy Clinic seems to offer a similar opportunity as the Rutgers clinic in working with public education. If, by some miracle, I was to get into NYU do you think, considering the work I’m interested in, it would be worth paying sticker over attending one of my other options? Any thoughts you could provide are appreciated.

y2zipper

Re: Rutgers vs Cardozo vs BU

Postby y2zipper » Sat May 04, 2013 4:13 pm

With a 3.9, retake for a 175 and enjoy Harvard or a t14 on a full scholly.

BU is your best option for a job, but worry less about clinics and more about having a job when you graduate.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Sat May 04, 2013 4:54 pm

I would do terrible things to get your GPA. Please retake. Do it for us. Instead of riding the waitlist at NYU, you could be getting big money from them.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat May 04, 2013 4:58 pm

phillywc wrote:Please retake.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sat May 04, 2013 4:59 pm

y2zipper wrote:With a 3.9, retake for a 175 and enjoy Harvard or a t14 on a full scholly.

BU is your best option for a job, but worry less about clinics and more about having a job when you graduate.

Not even a 175 for close to a full ride at a lower T14. A 170 and OP will likely get close to full tuition at one of Cornell, UVA or Michigan.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat May 04, 2013 5:10 pm

BU with no debt isnt horrible, but since you only took the LSAT once I would definitely advise a retake. If it was your third try and you studied your ass off Id say go to BU, or NYU if you got off the waitist -- Im guessing you'd have about 100K debt at NYU if your parents/savings were sufficient to cover the BU difference, thats still worth it.

Not everyone can get a 175, the posters here are exaggerating a bit, but you could get 170+ with a little more prep and you'd have NYU in the bag.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Sat May 04, 2013 7:16 pm

thejerseykid wrote:My LSAT score is 166 and my GPA is 3.97 and I've only taken the LSAT once.

I hate spouting "retake" at people... but if there is anybody who should retake, it's you. A 166 shows that you grasp the fundamentals of the LSAT, and with a little refinement you can easily hit 170+. Even three points- which your current score band says you are presently capable of achieving - has you seeing serious money at T14 schools.

You overachieved in undergrad and got an amazing GPA. Why wouldn't you also try and overachieve in law school and get into a top ranked school? You are obviously a great student, and you shouldn't be settling for schools with ~50% placement rates. You owe it to yourself, and to all the hard work you put into undergrad, to maximize the potential of your GPA and retake.

froglee

Postby froglee » Sun May 05, 2013 2:26 am

Cardozo is the obvious choice. Full scholarship and powerful alumni network.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun May 05, 2013 10:10 am

froglee wrote:Cardozo is the obvious choice. Full scholarship and powerful alumni network.

LOL

dawyzest1

Postby dawyzest1 » Sun May 05, 2013 2:03 pm

Maybe there should be a "top 3 scenarios in which you MUST retake the LSAT" sticky. I think this would be #1: Super high GPA; above 90th percentile score on first and only try.

As someone who knows a few things about charter schools, I can assure you that the right thing to do is retake the LSAT, go to HYS and enjoy whatever opportunities in the sector you might want after you graduate.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun May 05, 2013 2:25 pm

froglee wrote:Cardozo is the obvious choice. Full scholarship and powerful alumni network.

Stop trolling

thejerseykid

Postby thejerseykid » Sun May 05, 2013 2:33 pm

Alright, I will admit, considering Rutgers and Cardozo alongside BU is a bit ridiculous. I understand that, normally, the offer from BU would be a no-brainer but many of the posts that I've read on this site suggest that, aside from the T-14, you should select a school that leaves you with the least amount of debt and is located near or in the region where you want to work. Since I am interested in working in Jersey, I was a bit confused as to how I should approach the decision.

I do appreciate the advice so far and I think a retake is absolutely valid advice. It's actually a bit unfortunate because my very first reaction after receiving my LSAT result was to sign up for a retake. I was about to submit the payment but decided to consult with my pre-law advisor first and he all but convinced me that a retake wasn't worth the risk so I cancelled it. The decision never sat well with me and, at the time, I wasn't aware of TLS otherwise things would have turned out differently and I could have saved myself an additional year.

For now, I might wait a while to see how things play out with the schools I'm waitlisted at. It's never an easy decision to put off plans for a year and I'm not entirely confident in my ability to score higher (I remember trying something similar with the SAT in high school and doing worse in all three sections the second time around). I also understand, though, that this is a big deal so I'll take some time to mull things over and perhaps I'll retake in October or December. In terms of preparing for a retake, though: the first time around, I only used the practice exams from the LSAC and took most of them. I believe I only have eight full practice exams left out of the forty or so that they offer. I've also heard a lot about the PowerScore “Bibles”. Do you think these eight exams and the PowerScore practice books would be a decent way of preparing? Are there any additional resources you would recommend? Again, I appreciate the advice.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun May 05, 2013 2:43 pm

thejerseykid wrote:I do appreciate the advice so far and I think a retake is absolutely valid advice. It's actually a bit unfortunate because my very first reaction after receiving my LSAT result was to sign up for a retake. I was about to submit the payment but decided to consult with my pre-law advisor first and he all but convinced me that a retake wasn't worth the risk so I cancelled it. The decision never sat well with me and, at the time, I wasn't aware of TLS otherwise things would have turned out differently and I could have saved myself an additional year.

Prelaw advisers are the WORST. They just have no idea what is going on in the world of law and it really kills me that they have the ear of so many prospective students. This is just a downright gut-wrenching story to listen to, and unfortunately, for every student on TLS that we "save" and convince to retake, there is at least one or two out there who gets duped by the people closest to them (parents, advisers, etc.) and they sell themselves far short.

It sounds like you are capable of doing really well on the LSAT. You have a great GPA, and a few more points would change the ballgame drastically for you. Harvard isn't even out of the question if you can get a 172+. Please, it is absolutely critical that you retake. I know taking time off doesn't sound appealing now, but a better LSAT score is worth waiting a year for; it could change the course of your entire career. Don't sell yourself short. RETAKE.

ru2486

Postby ru2486 » Sun May 05, 2013 2:44 pm

current RU-N student here to tell you to FUCKING RETAKE.

FOR THE LOVE OF MANKIND, YOU HAVE A 3.9 DON'T WASTE IT

if you don't retake, i'm going to murder you, your parents, siblings, and all family members to the 5th cousin. I will then build a time machine to go back to your great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfathers and perform vasectomies with a dull razor blade just to ensure this terrible event doesn't come to pass.

scuse me while I go study for a 5.5 hour conlaw final at a T2.

PM if you have questions.

dawyzest1

Postby dawyzest1 » Sun May 05, 2013 2:57 pm

thejerseykid wrote:
my pre-law advisor [...] all but convinced me that a retake wasn't worth the risk

This "advisor" is committing educational malpractice. That's horrible advice. The idea that you could be worse off after a retake is bizarre and not based in reality. Sounds to me like this advisor is someone who is behind on what's going on and doesn't care to update themselves. You cannot hurt yourself with a retake.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun May 05, 2013 7:26 pm

Friends don't let friends go to 'bozo.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sun May 05, 2013 9:39 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Sun May 05, 2013 10:11 pm

See this thread, please

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=208084

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun May 05, 2013 11:46 pm

Retake. I even wrote a guide for your exact situation. Crush that shit and enjoy HYS/Hamilton/Ruby.

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Sun May 05, 2013 11:53 pm

Last edited by boblawlob on Thu May 30, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Mon May 06, 2013 12:07 am

OP cardozo forfree would not be a bad choice at all, but you have the rare ability to graduate debt free from top ten law schools - a literally ten time chance of big law or clerkships if you get a 171. It's a 50 percent best job at the same price if you retake. Your school will follow you for much of your career. Its worth a year. Just see it as I'm already in NYU - just doing a 4 yr program (year 1, get a 172)

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon May 06, 2013 10:10 am

And when you retake and get a 174 and go to Harvard, be sure to send your pre-law adviser a scathing email telling him/her what a damn fool they are.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Mon May 06, 2013 11:33 am

Retake -> Go to NYU on a scholarship -> Get your dream PI job

Your prelaw advisor should be dismissed from his or her role for giving you that advice.

Myself

Postby Myself » Mon May 06, 2013 11:41 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Mon May 06, 2013 11:50 am

Does your pre-law advisor happen to be the lawyer who defended Brian Banks?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”