LSAT and its predictability of success in Law School.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Nevertaken646

LSAT and its predictability of success in Law School.

Postby Nevertaken646 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:12 pm

Hello all,

I've been talking to many Lawyers some of which are excellent practitionars in Criminal law, while some are really bad. Most of them didn't go to Tier 1 schools and finished with enormous amounts of debt (excess of $100,000) some of their LSAT score didn't pass 160, while a few exceed the 160 mark. While I know that experience is the best teacher, I want to ask, does the LSAT do a good job of predicting how good of a student of law one will be.

Thank you in advance

empyreanrrv

Re: LSAT and its predictability of success in Law School.

Postby empyreanrrv » Thu May 02, 2013 9:15 pm

Are you asking how well the LSAT predicts the competency of practicing attorneys, or how well the LSAT predicts success in the law school classroom? For the former-- no idea but I expect to some extent. For the latter, here: http://www.lsac.org/jd/pdfs/lsat-score- ... rmance.pdf

Boggs

Postby Boggs » Thu May 02, 2013 9:29 pm

Nevertaken646 wrote:Hello all,

I've been talking to many Lawyers some of which are excellent practitionars in Criminal law, while some are really bad. Most of them didn't go to Tier 1 schools and finished with enormous amounts of debt (excess of $100,000) some of their LSAT score didn't pass 160, while a few exceed the 160 mark. While I know that experience is the best teacher, I want to ask, does the LSAT do a good job of predicting how good of a student of law one will be.

Thank you in advance

At the fringes, probably to a certain degree. In the vast middle, not from what I've seen.

Nevertaken646

Postby Nevertaken646 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:38 pm

empyreanrrv wrote:Are you asking how well the LSAT predicts the competency of practicing attorneys, or how well the LSAT predicts success in the law school classroom? For the former-- no idea but I expect to some extent. For the latter, here: http://www.lsac.org/jd/pdfs/lsat-score- ... rmance.pdf

Well, one leading onto the next, from the Law School classes into the real world experience.

Nevertaken646

Postby Nevertaken646 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:39 pm

Also thank you for your responses!

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:32 pm

Bottom 1% LSAT top 25% GPA.... For me there was not predictability, and I'm very thankful for that.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Sat May 04, 2013 3:40 pm

Nevertaken646 wrote:Hello all,

Thank you in advance

This topic has been beaten to death on TLS... enjoy the "Forum Search" function.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”