Fordham ($$) vs. Cornell

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Fordham ($$) vs Cornell

Cornell ($100K debt)
75%
Fordham (debt free)
25%

Total votes: 61

grumpycat2012

Fordham ($$) vs. Cornell

Postby grumpycat2012 » Thu May 02, 2013 11:20 am

I am having a really hard time with this decision so I've finally decided to put it to the TLS forum. I've already sent in the initial deposit for both schools. Here are some details:

I graduated from undergrad in 2008 and have worked for the past three years at a public interest legal services organization. I am from Manhattan and looking to stay here after law school. While I ultimately want to work in public interest, I am not totally opposed to the idea of working in biglaw for a while to pay off loans/get training. That said, I am not sure how long I could sustain that lifestyle before needing to do something more fulfilling.

Fordham has offered me $15K/year. Because I have a decent amount of savings and could live with my parents, I could attend Fordham without taking out ANY loans. This is very appealing to me. As for the school itself, I liked it but I didnt love it. I didn't get the feeling that I was especially excited about going there, but the location would be extremely convenient.

Cornell has offered me NO merit aid, so even after using all my savings, I am still looking at about $100K in debt when I graduate. When I visited Cornell, I really loved it. Ithaca is beautiful and I loved Cornell's small class sizes. However, I am nervous to take on so much debt, particularly with the legal market being uncertain and my own uncertainties about biglaw.

So what do people think I should do? And before you say it-- no, I am not going to re-take. I already retook once and I am getting older (26 this fall). I am ready to go to law school now.

WokeUpInACar

Re: Fordham ($$) vs. Cornell

Postby WokeUpInACar » Thu May 02, 2013 11:25 am

You should retake for more scholarship money, but Fordham as is.

empyreanrrv

Postby empyreanrrv » Thu May 02, 2013 11:27 am

100k is not bad at all for Cornell. Even biglaw for a year or two should knock that down to within the realm of a 40-50k job to handle. Since you also love it your decision is easy. Are you sure you have the CoA correct, though? CoA at Cornell total is something like 270k-- are you saying you have at least 120k in savings?

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu May 02, 2013 12:30 pm

grumpycat2012 wrote:So what do people think I should do? And before you say it-- no, I am not going to re-take. I already retook once and I am getting older (26 this fall). I am ready to go to law school now.

So are all of us, but guess what? Law school isn't going anywhere. If you retook and received some $$ from Cornell, it would be a no-brainer decision. That being said, if you're dead set on going right now, Fordham isn't a terrible option.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Thu May 02, 2013 12:34 pm

Take Fordham.

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Thu May 02, 2013 12:48 pm

empyreanrrv wrote:100k is not bad at all for Cornell. Even biglaw for a year or two should knock that down to within the realm of a 40-50k job to handle. Since you also love it your decision is easy. Are you sure you have the CoA correct, though? CoA at Cornell total is something like 270k-- are you saying you have at least 120k in savings?

Yeah, this struck me too; the Cornell numbers don't seem right. If you're going at sticker, to calculate your debt at graduation, take the school-stated COA of 231K; mark it up about 10% for tuition and rent hikes while you're in school; subtract what you can cover from savings/parental help; then take the result and mark it up about 15% for interest that will accrue while you're in school.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 02, 2013 7:46 pm

Obligatory: Retake the LSAT.

On-Topic: COMPLETELY disagree with those saying Fordham. Cornell will offer vastly superior opportunities, and it doesn't sound like you'll have crippling debt. 15K/year is not a legitimate enough draw considering the differences between the schools. If it was full ride at Fordham v sticker at Cornell, then I'd say Fordham.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu May 02, 2013 7:49 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Obligatory: Retake the LSAT.

On-Topic: COMPLETELY disagree with those saying Fordham. Cornell will offer vastly superior opportunities, and it doesn't sound like you'll have crippling debt. 15K/year is not a legitimate enough draw considering the differences between the schools. If it was full ride at Fordham v sticker at Cornell, then I'd say Fordham.

I agree with this. In a vacuum, Cornell is easily worth 100k more than Fordham. However, OP should retake.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu May 02, 2013 8:07 pm

1. Retake is the right answer.

2. So long as Cornell has a functional LRAP program, Cornell over Fordham for 100k. EASY.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat May 04, 2013 8:55 am

Fordham is not a bad choice, if gun to my head, i'd choose Fordham

But retake is the CR

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Sat May 04, 2013 10:09 am

Dr. Dre wrote:Fordham is not a bad choice, if gun to my head, i'd choose Fordham

But retake is the CR

Gun to my head, also, I'd take Fordham here if the debt will truly be 0.

But short of a gun to the head, up to and including any situation with a reasonable chance of survival such as being pushed from the top of a 5 story building, I would retake.

Edit: Retake because you've already demonstrated the capability to get into these schools, and get $$ from Fordham. I suspect you are one dedicated summer of LSAT studying from getting $$ from Cornell.

timetoleave

Postby timetoleave » Sat May 04, 2013 11:45 am

grumpycat2012 wrote:I am having a really hard time with this decision so I've finally decided to put it to the TLS forum. I've already sent in the initial deposit for both schools. Here are some details:

I graduated from undergrad in 2008 and have worked for the past three years at a public interest legal services organization. I am from Manhattan and looking to stay here after law school. While I ultimately want to work in public interest, I am not totally opposed to the idea of working in biglaw for a while to pay off loans/get training. That said, I am not sure how long I could sustain that lifestyle before needing to do something more fulfilling.

Fordham has offered me $15K/year. Because I have a decent amount of savings and could live with my parents, I could attend Fordham without taking out ANY loans. This is very appealing to me. As for the school itself, I liked it but I didnt love it. I didn't get the feeling that I was especially excited about going there, but the location would be extremely convenient.

Cornell has offered me NO merit aid, so even after using all my savings, I am still looking at about $100K in debt when I graduate. When I visited Cornell, I really loved it. Ithaca is beautiful and I loved Cornell's small class sizes. However, I am nervous to take on so much debt, particularly with the legal market being uncertain and my own uncertainties about biglaw.

So what do people think I should do? And before you say it-- no, I am not going to re-take. I already retook once and I am getting older (26 this fall). I am ready to go to law school now.

In order to graduate with $100,000 of debt from Cornell, with no scholarship, you would have to have (roughly) $140,000 of cash saved. Are your numbers right?

Also, if you gun for PI, and get it, with Cornell's LRAP, it is better to max out your loans. Look up the program. If you miss PI, you could always throw your savings into the principal. Granted, you would be out the origination fee and some interest. But really take a look at the program and you will see why the risk is worth it

HBBJohnStamos

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Sat May 04, 2013 3:16 pm

Cornell places more students into Biglaw + Art III clerkships than Fordham places into real legal jobs hth

doc b

Postby doc b » Mon May 06, 2013 8:44 am

NJL 250, 2013

Cornell 72
Fordham 84

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon May 06, 2013 9:10 am

doc b wrote:NJL 250, 2013

Cornell 72
Fordham 84

Cornell places double percentage wise. Raw numbers are not the appropriate metric.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon May 06, 2013 10:07 am

Cornell, but I would retake. Low debt is nice but throwing away your life savings seems unnecessary when you could just retake, get a couple points, and go on a scholarship.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon May 06, 2013 12:43 pm

Cornell 72
Fordham 84

bad 2nd post, try again. maybe there should be a post floor to give advice on choosing a law school threads.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon May 06, 2013 12:44 pm

romothesavior wrote:Cornell, but I would retake. Low debt is nice but throwing away your life savings seems unnecessary when you could just retake, get a couple points, and go on a scholarship.

+1 to reiterate

HBBJohnStamos

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Mon May 06, 2013 12:46 pm

ImNoScar wrote:

Cornell 72
Fordham 84

Cornell places double percentage wise. Raw numbers are not the appropriate metric.

Yeah and that's 2011 for Cornell. GJ bro.

guano

Postby guano » Mon May 06, 2013 1:00 pm

timetoleave wrote:Also, if you gun for PI, and get it, with Cornell's LRAP, it is better to max out your loans. Look up the program. If you miss PI, you could always throw your savings into the principal. Granted, you would be out the origination fee and some interest. But really take a look at the program and you will see why the risk is worth it

Never listen to someone who advocates maxing out high interest non-dischargeable debt

Return to “Choosing a Law School”