BU($$) vs GW

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dagnygalt

BU($$) vs GW

Postby dagnygalt » Thu May 02, 2013 12:35 am

BU has offered me $60k total in scholarships while GW hasn't offered zip. COA for BU with scholarship is $125k vs $213k for GW. Stats are 164/3.9 (no "retake" comments please!). I'm definitely not decided on what I want to specialize in, but I'm interested in conlaw, as well as as all sorts of finance, e.g., corporate, securities, etc. I know GW is the better school but is it really worth the $90k difference???

EDIT: 6/4 - GW just offered me a $57k scholly, so COA is now $156k - making only a $31k difference between BU. I have 24 hours to put down a $1k deposit to keep it!
Last edited by dagnygalt on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sflyr2016

Re: BU($$) vs GW

Postby sflyr2016 » Thu May 02, 2013 12:37 am

dagnygalt wrote:BU has offered me $60k total in scholarships while GW hasn't offered zip. COA for BU with scholarship is $125k vs $213k for GW. Stats are 164/3.9 (no "retake" comments please!). I'm definitely not decided on what I want to specialize in, but I'm interested in conlaw, as well as as all sorts of finance, e.g., corporate, securities, etc. I know GW is the better school but is it really worth the $90k difference???

Depends. Do you think GW gives you a 90 grand advantage? If not, then, BU.

Edit: How exactly is GW the better school?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu May 02, 2013 12:39 am

dagnygalt wrote:BU has offered me $60k total in scholarships while GW hasn't offered zip. COA for BU with scholarship is $125k vs $213k for GW. Stats are 164/3.9 (no "retake" comments please!). I'm definitely not decided on what I want to specialize in, but I'm interested in conlaw, as well as as all sorts of finance, e.g., corporate, securities, etc. I know GW is the better school but is it really worth the $90k difference???

Lol wat?

Did you include interest in your calculations? Those values look like underestimates to me. I imagine your debt at BU would be more like $150-160k and at GW it would be an astronomical $270k

Going to GW at that price would be insane, and going to BU at that price would not be smart.

Retake or don't go.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu May 02, 2013 12:39 am

Why can't you retake? With a 3.9 four or five more questions right and you're looking at a half ride from a T14.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu May 02, 2013 12:40 am

conlaw blows dude.

also, you need to find a way to get more money. GW really isnt any better than BU. the outcomes in terms of quality are comparable. this is too expensive though.

the answer will be retake.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Thu May 02, 2013 8:48 am

stillwater wrote:

conlaw blows dude.

also, you need to find a way to get more money. GW really isnt any better than BU. the outcomes in terms of quality are comparable. this is too expensive though.

the answer will be retake.

Agreed. Schools are comparable - if you must go, and you're into finance/corporate I'd definately lean BU as you get a bite at Boston and NY corporate (and I would say a better shot at NYC, but others may disagree).

Jimbo_Jones

Postby Jimbo_Jones » Thu May 02, 2013 9:04 am

You're an idiot if you don't retake

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Thu May 02, 2013 9:06 am

Bronck wrote:

Did you include interest in your calculations? Those values look like underestimates to me. I imagine your debt at BU would be more like $150-160k and at GW it would be an astronomical $270k

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:55 am

Retake is the only correct option here. 150k for a BU law degree is not worth it if all you want is biglaw. Do not go to GW at those prices.

bruin91

Postby bruin91 » Thu May 02, 2013 10:29 am

No way 164 3.9 doesn't yield at least some $ at GW

empyreanrrv

Postby empyreanrrv » Thu May 02, 2013 10:49 am

Why can't you retake? These schools are both too expensive at the prices listed-- it would not be a smart gamble to make.

dagnygalt

Postby dagnygalt » Sun May 05, 2013 4:18 pm

I love that even when I specifically ask for no "re-take" comments, I still get a shit ton of them.

Look, here is what it comes down to --- while a 164 is not the top 1-2%, it is the top 10%. I will be turning 30 in August and for me, it is not an option to put off law school for another year. While I make pretty good money, I have come to HATE my job and I would rather pay $100k more in loans than stay there another year and retake.

Bronck wrote:Lol wat?

Going to GW at that price would be insane, and going to BU at that price would not be smart.

Retake or don't go.

No, interest is not calculated in those numbers. My loans, however, will actually be a less than what COA estimates, because I have about $70k saved, so I shouldn't have to take out any money for living expenses over the three years if I go to BU, but probably will at GW. So all in all, I would have to take about $75k in loans from BU and $165k at GW.

empyreanrrv wrote:Why can't you retake? These schools are both too expensive at the prices listed-- it would not be a smart gamble to make.

And why is this too much to pay at BU? They are offering me close to a 50% scholarship.

bruin91 wrote:No way 164 3.9 doesn't yield at least some $ at GW

I applied late in the cycle. It's my stupid fault.

[quote="joeant"Depends. Do you think GW gives you a 90 grand advantage? If not, then, BU.

Edit: How exactly is GW the better school?[/quote]

Using normal US News rankings. GW is ranked six positions higher than BU -- actually with 2013 rankings I think the gap widened to 7 or 8. While most sources tell you different numbers, in general GW has slightly higher employment stats and slightly higher starting salaries, etc. Although with COL factored in, the starting salaries is probably a moot point.

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Sun May 05, 2013 4:23 pm

dagnygalt wrote: While most sources tell you different numbers, in general GW has slightly higher employment stats and slightly higher starting salaries, etc. Although with COL factored in, the starting salaries is probably a moot point.

I would argue that GW stats are inflated due to those with STEM backgrounds and going into IP. If you are not going into IP and you are at GW, I would imagine it would be as difficult to find a job like at any other school outside of T6/T14.

If you don't have a STEM background, hard to justify the money for GW.

But if you do have a STEM background, you could just take BU and still do extremely well (job prospect wise) I would imagine.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun May 05, 2013 4:44 pm

Both are too expensive. But BU is the better choice if you don't retake.

But really. A year of your life waiting is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. It seriously is, if you're a responsible person. But if you're a frivolous person who can't plan ahead and manage your finances, sure go right away and don't even bother retaking.

empyreanrrv

Postby empyreanrrv » Sun May 05, 2013 8:51 pm

BU is not bad at a total of 75k in loans, but it is not smart at 125k. At 75k you can conceivably pay it down with a 40-50k job and BU's placement for FT LT legal positions is decent. If there is nothing anyone can say to convince you to retake, then BU is a better bet than GW.

floydthebarber518

Postby floydthebarber518 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:37 pm

Using normal US News rankings. GW is ranked six positions higher than BU -- actually with 2013 rankings I think the gap widened to 7 or 8. While most sources tell you different numbers, in general GW has slightly higher employment stats and slightly higher starting salaries, etc. Although with COL factored in, the starting salaries is probably a moot point.

If you had to choose between the two options (no alternative school, no retake), you have to choose BU. Please do NOT use USNews Rankings. The very idea that some otherwise-esoteric news magazine is ranking schools is hilarious. Take a look at their methodology; do not make your investments on faulty information.

Unless you're going after meaningless prestige (i.e. rankings), you should be going after employment statistics: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?r=other

But even then, you have to read the fine print. That 80% figure is misleading because 20% of is school funded jobs that you probably will not want. Also, unless you have an engineering UG degree and are IP-eligible, it does not give you a leg up. If you discount all of the above, GW is NOT worth the extra money when BU offers essentially the same opportunities (minus geography).
Last edited by floydthebarber518 on Wed May 08, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed May 08, 2013 8:06 am

If you go to GW you will regret it the rest of your life (less likely if you take BU but still might). People really don't get how bad loans are. An extra 90k is a huge, huge amount.

Also echo everyone else, GW is not a better school. They are peers. I went to BU and am absolutely no cheerleader, but would rather go to a school with 240 classmates than what like 600? Also DC is a much more competitive market than Boston.

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Thu May 09, 2013 8:04 am

Blindmelon wrote:If you go to GW you will regret it the rest of your life (less likely if you take BU but still might). People really don't get how bad loans are. An extra 90k is a huge, huge amount.

Also echo everyone else, GW is not a better school. They are peers. I went to BU and am absolutely no cheerleader, but would rather go to a school with 240 classmates than what like 600? Also DC is a much more competitive market than Boston.

Actually 398 at GW last year and the class will be even smaller this year (though I have heard the staff at the school is pissed because it means layoffs). Eithe way far off the 600 estimate- it will prob be around 375 this year and this includes part-time I believe.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu May 09, 2013 9:08 am

I wouldn't blow your savings, but BU is a better choice. Keep in mind you will probably get a job (not school funded), but there is a real chance you won't. If you do get a lawyer job, a lot of them frankly are shit, and you might hate it. If this law school thing doesn't work out there is a very real probability that you could be trying to break back into your present career but with much more debt. Seriously please retake.

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Thu May 09, 2013 10:23 am

Dream Weave wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:If you go to GW you will regret it the rest of your life (less likely if you take BU but still might). People really don't get how bad loans are. An extra 90k is a huge, huge amount.

Actually 398 at GW last year and the class will be even smaller this year (though I have heard the staff at the school is pissed because it means layoffs). Eithe way far off the 600 estimate- it will prob be around 375 this year and this includes part-time I believe.

Edit- but in your case OP BU is a no brainer...they're peers and you're looking at 90k difference...

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:30 am

dagnygalt wrote:

Are you counting the 20% of people making $25,000 per year in school funded internships when you say GW's employment stats are better?

muskies970

Postby muskies970 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:18 pm

All else being equal GW's ranking edge on USNews does not, in my opinion, make it worth the scholarship money you were offered at BU. Would you rather live in D.C. or boston though? are there other factors that are impacting your decision?

I'm going to chime in though with everyone else and say especially because you applied late in the cycle you should probably sit the year out and reapply. If you hate your current job so much you could always take the year off and travel/ do some kind of easy volunteer work. The extra scholarship offers and better schools you can get into with a retake or applying early are worth again, in my opinion, the opportunity cost of a year without work and going to school now. I wouldn't look at it as either going to law school now or staying in your current situation you hate, but rather forge a new third path doing something exciting the year before you go to law school.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:28 pm

ITT: A guy whose username references Ayn Rand makes a terrible financial decision that means he'll probably wind up having to use a government program designed to reduce/forgive debt incurred by said terrible financial decision.

You applied late, and your score is lower than you're capable of, and if you got a better score you'd be in a vastly better position. "Oh, I hate my job." Waaahh. Suck it up. Everyone hates their job. If you really can't take it, go work at McDonald's for a year. Retake and apply early.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:53 pm

nickb285 wrote:ITT: A guy whose username references Ayn Rand makes a terrible financial decision that means he'll probably wind up having to use a government program designed to reduce/forgive debt incurred by said terrible financial decision.

You applied late, and your score is lower than you're capable of, and if you got a better score you'd be in a vastly better position. "Oh, I hate my job." Waaahh. Suck it up. Everyone hates their job. If you really can't take it, go work at McDonald's for a year. Retake and apply early.

Well Rand took SS and Medicare, so it wouldn't be inconsistent with her philosophy.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:01 pm

In the model of the boomer thread:

(Writes philosophy espousing laissez-faire capitalism, self-interest, and complete absence of government interference in the economy)
(Collects Social Security and Medicare)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”