Northwestern (150k) vs Columbia (75k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Northwestern (150k) vs Columbia (75k)

Northwestern (150k scholarship)
68%
Columbia (75k scholarship)
32%

Total votes: 98

BigZuck

Re: Northwestern (150k) vs Columbia (75k)

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:29 pm

untar614 wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
untar614 wrote:Hey guys, so new possibility. Probably outing myself if Dean Hoye reads these boards, lol. I've been on the Duke Priority Reserve for a while, and recently was asked to have a phone conversation with Dean Hoye. Anyway, so after that with him inquiring as to my interest and what I'm comparing them to, I decided since I'm in a good position anyway, I'd just let him know what my 2 majors offers were. So he emailed me back today basically asking what kind of funding it would take to make me feel comfortable turning down those 2 offers. I take that to mean there is definite potential for scholarship money he thinks could compete. So what should I say? Obviously I'd like a Mordecai, but I am passed interview time for that, so I think if I asked for that he may just say "sorry, can't do that" and not bother counter-offering (I haven't been officially accepted yet, so there is no risk to their yield here).

Thoughts?

Well, the truth is that it wouldn't make sense to attend for anything less than NU's $150K scholarship. So that's what I'd say. If he says they can't do that, then there's no loss to you. You wouldn't have gone there anyway, right?

Yeah, you're right, I think I'd go Duke over Northwestern at equal cost due to certain things specific to my interests, but for less than that, I don't think I would (oh, if only I had ties to Houston...) choose it over either of these options, so I'm just gonna ask for the whole shebang and see what happens. If it comes up nil, it's no major loss I suppose.

Why do you wish you had ties to Houston?

untar614

Re: Northwestern (150k) vs Columbia (75k)

Postby untar614 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:07 pm

BigZuck wrote:
untar614 wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
untar614 wrote:Hey guys, so new possibility. Probably outing myself if Dean Hoye reads these boards, lol. I've been on the Duke Priority Reserve for a while, and recently was asked to have a phone conversation with Dean Hoye. Anyway, so after that with him inquiring as to my interest and what I'm comparing them to, I decided since I'm in a good position anyway, I'd just let him know what my 2 majors offers were. So he emailed me back today basically asking what kind of funding it would take to make me feel comfortable turning down those 2 offers. I take that to mean there is definite potential for scholarship money he thinks could compete. So what should I say? Obviously I'd like a Mordecai, but I am passed interview time for that, so I think if I asked for that he may just say "sorry, can't do that" and not bother counter-offering (I haven't been officially accepted yet, so there is no risk to their yield here).

Thoughts?

Well, the truth is that it wouldn't make sense to attend for anything less than NU's $150K scholarship. So that's what I'd say. If he says they can't do that, then there's no loss to you. You wouldn't have gone there anyway, right?

Yeah, you're right, I think I'd go Duke over Northwestern at equal cost due to certain things specific to my interests, but for less than that, I don't think I would (oh, if only I had ties to Houston...) choose it over either of these options, so I'm just gonna ask for the whole shebang and see what happens. If it comes up nil, it's no major loss I suppose.

Why do you wish you had ties to Houston?

It was a joke re: DF's statement, cuz Houston is a good market for Duke cuz of Baker Botts, but its not something i'd gamble on without connections to TX. 160k with no state income tax and low CoL does sound nice though.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”