Sticker at Suffolk Law or 18 grand to New York Law?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lukertin

Re: Sticker at Suffolk Law or 18 grand to New York Law?

Postby lukertin » Wed May 01, 2013 4:22 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Also, you may want to check the bar passage rate of those schools. I'm going to guess they're abysmally low.

Suffolk Law in Passachusetts? C'mon.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed May 01, 2013 4:23 pm

lukertin wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:Also, you may want to check the bar passage rate of those schools. I'm going to guess they're abysmally low.

Suffolk Law in Passachusetts? C'mon.

I assumed without prior justification that his families firms were in NYC. So yeah, where is this legal camelot?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Wed May 01, 2013 4:34 pm

these schools are rancid sewer, hobo shelters. you will forever be pungent with the scent of their inadequacy

alex.feuerman

Postby alex.feuerman » Wed May 01, 2013 4:47 pm

stillwater wrote:these schools are rancid sewer, hobo shelters. you will forever be pungent with the scent of their inadequacy

this seriously made me lol at work
I like you

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Wed May 01, 2013 6:01 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
Docreviewsux wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:
jhd125 wrote:I don't want to here neither, they're both bottom tier blah blah. I know what I'm doing and have family in the field for jobs etc. which is better?

*Hear

since you have a job guaranteed by family, go to the cheaper one

What sucks is that this moron, assuming they are telling the truth, has a job lined up. So awesome that nepotism makes up for OP's stupidity, right?

Eh, often these posts are written to poll tls in a vacuum so they don't hear RETAKE all day, they just want to get to the best wrong answer..I have a guaranteed job, I'm rich so debt isn't an issue, etc. Not always of course, but often.

Exactly. It's usually pretty transparent, too -- as when someone says their family "has multiple firms."

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:02 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Is your family going to expect you to have a decent grasp of the english language upon graduation?

Also, you may want to check the bar passage rate of those schools. I'm going to guess they're abysmally low.

Bar passage rate is like 95% a function of how smart the people who go there are. Going to a ttt might actually help since the curriculum is bar passage oriented.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Wed May 01, 2013 10:18 pm

what's your LSAT score, I think this thread could use a good laugh

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Wed May 01, 2013 10:18 pm

timbs4339 wrote:Bar passage rate is like 95% a function of how smart the people who go there are. Going to a ttt might actually help since the curriculum is bar passage oriented.

This isnt true at all. TTT's have the lowest pass rates of all law schools

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:22 pm

lukertin wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:Bar passage rate is like 95% a function of how smart the people who go there are. Going to a ttt might actually help since the curriculum is bar passage oriented.

If OP is smarter than the average bear it will.

The two arent mutually exclusive. A school can have an abysmal 60% passage rate, but without the prep curriculum and failing out 1/3 of the class they would have a 30% rate and be looking at loss of accreditation.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed May 01, 2013 10:38 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
lukertin wrote:

If OP is smarter than the average bear it will.

The two arent mutually exclusive. A school can have an abysmal 60% passage rate, but without the prep curriculum and failing out 1/3 of the class they would have a 30% rate and be looking at loss of accreditation.

All the evidence presented in this topic doesn't exactly lead to the impression that the OP is smarter than the average bear.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Wed May 01, 2013 10:38 pm

There are no normal people at these schools. Normal people know their shortcomings, and take rational bets. For all the flaws you might say people at top law schools have, imagine those without the analytical or logic skills that they also have. These are these schools. NYLS is conveniently located next to a salvation army so you will have your interview clothing close by.

CourCour

Postby CourCour » Wed May 01, 2013 10:44 pm

I'll play your game and suggest Suffolk. They have a ~90% passage rate. Their reputation in Boston is decent. If you can stick around here you won't get the same snobbery you're experiencing on this forum. That being said it is still hard to get a job from Suffolk should your lined up job fall through.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed May 01, 2013 10:44 pm

Well, at least OP warned everyone up front he will not listen to any reasonable advice, which kind of makes the whole posting a topic thing odd.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:48 pm

If you "know what you're doing", then why are you asking tls.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Wed May 01, 2013 10:49 pm

It isn't like there is anything wrong with the people at these places who get no offered. From the people I know, they are normally personable, great to get a drink with, popular, well liked and good looking. They are naive, and would be very easy to take advantage of if the world was less nice. The world is nice. Therefore, they never wised up and went to NYLS.

Even if you had a guaranteed job but one might call bullshit on the "multiple firm things" and I'd bet this is a lie, but even if it weren't, when will 200k fall onto your lap? For the 1/400 person who gets 160k from these places, that 160k is a lot of work. It is much more work than getting a 170 instead of a 150. Yet it would be worth 200k to retake, and just go for free with no stipulations to Bozo. You can study 4 hours a day for 6 months in tennis shoes, and drink whisky every night. It's much better than 80 hour weeks in a suit. If you can't handle a little bit of crap then you're going to fail every time. It's a guarantee.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu May 02, 2013 12:41 am

bananapeanutbutter wrote:There are no normal people at these schools. Normal people know their shortcomings, and take rational bets. For all the flaws you might say people at top law schools have, imagine those without the analytical or logic skills that they also have. These are these schools. NYLS is conveniently located next to a salvation army so you will have your interview clothing close by.

Actually it's quite the opposite. Might want read some psychology from the last 40 years, starting with Kahneman and Tversky. Or you can go through life thinking we're living in an Econ 101 class

togepi

Postby togepi » Thu May 02, 2013 1:02 am

OP probably doesn't have a job lined up and is asking which is better so we don't berate him with employment statistics and such.

Meepo

Postby Meepo » Thu May 02, 2013 1:56 am

jhd125 wrote:it won't because as I previously mentioned yet people seem to overlook, my family has multiple firms and I have a guaranteed job. Just wanted to see if there are any normal people on here who could offer some actual valid points about either

dude, can you hook me up with a job? i'm serious...

dudley12

Postby dudley12 » Thu May 02, 2013 2:03 am

I would say Suffolk since they have one of the nation's top ultimate frisbee teams but that's just me

HankBashir

Postby HankBashir » Thu May 02, 2013 2:23 am

justonemoregame wrote:what's your LSAT score, I think this thread could use a good laugh

Judging from their post history, their LSAT is in the low-150s

Meepo

Postby Meepo » Thu May 02, 2013 2:59 am

ImNoScar wrote:Well, at least OP warned everyone up front he will not listen to any reasonable advice, which kind of makes the whole posting a topic thing odd.

i swear dude, everytime i see ur avatar, before i look closely, i always think i am looking at a pic of steve blake

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Thu May 02, 2013 10:47 am

timbs4339 wrote:
bananapeanutbutter wrote:There are no normal people at these schools. Normal people know their shortcomings, and take rational bets. For all the flaws you might say people at top law schools have, imagine those without the analytical or logic skills that they also have. These are these schools. NYLS is conveniently located next to a salvation army so you will have your interview clothing close by.

Actually it's quite the opposite. Might want read some psychology from the last 40 years, starting with Kahneman and Tversky. Or you can go through life thinking we're living in an Econ 101 class

We might interpret normal differently. I meant what the ideal is, as measured by what facilitates the best results for people, not what most people are. Although special snowflake syndrome might accompany most people in their early 20s, I think this refusal to analyze objective data is an epidemic. I'm aware that depressed people are more likely to consider actual evidence, and not openly expect they're the special exception. However, these people are likely just special snowflakes who are depressed, and once their depression goes away would be just as dumb. There are a minority of rational people. They tend to be either at top law schools, or don't go to law schools.

But OP's comment rubbed me the wrong way. It seemed to imply that if you don't agree with their very weak decision, and that despite the data people who are against going to TTTT's are not "normal". This implies defining normal as agreeing with OP's weak decision making. The thought process one needs to take this approach is just so out of touch with reality it is shocking. I do not understand how one can know that only 50% of grads will ever work as lawyers, that ~90% from top schools will work as lawyers yet think going to a TTTT will work out just fine. I also don't understand why going to law school is a "treat" or something someone just has to do.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu May 02, 2013 12:14 pm

HankBashir wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:what's your LSAT score, I think this thread could use a good laugh

Judging from their post history, their LSAT is in the low-150s

Yeah, that sounds about right.
Last edited by PRgradBYU on Wed May 08, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Thu May 02, 2013 12:23 pm

timbs4339 wrote:

lol. I wish I could meet some Homo economicus. Sounds like people I'd get along with.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Thu May 02, 2013 12:29 pm

From the post history he clearly does not have a family with a firm - would have mentioned it in his 20 other threads, but he's deadset on going to law school. Likely, this is OP's psychology:

1.) No real world experience.
2.) Felt pretty comfortable and happy in college.
3.) Realized he was graduating, was afraid of the stigma of moving in with his parents and was petrified of the real world.
4.) Figured law school is easy to get into for anyone with a pulse.
5.) Quickly decided to take the LSAT on a whim.
6.) Didn't study that hard, and just took it.
7.) Didn't want to spend much $ or time because all he needed was to postpone real life.... didn't have a life plan in place.
8.) Realized it was sufficient to postpone the real world for a # of years and go to a TTTT.
9.) Doesn't want people to tell him about the long term odds or consequences, because he only wants to focus on the 3 years.

What's a shame is that OP is probably a nice guy, but just a kid. By the time OP matures he's going to be 200k in the hole for a sub-5% chance at a good outcome.

This is a common plan. I would suggest joining the military. You'll avoid the stigma, and have time to formulate a legitimate life plan + get student loan money. If the government won't stop giving out loans to these poor schools then they should pay people to join the military. All they are doing is pushing back a 2nd economic collapse when millions of kids default on 250k loans in 10 years.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”