UVA Sanity Check...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Evaluate my decision

Good Choice
74%
Bad Choice
26%

Total votes: 53

firstimer

UVA Sanity Check...

Postby firstimer » Wed May 01, 2013 11:27 am

After everything's done, I am in the process of choosing UVA (~$90K scholarship) over...
Columbia with $30k scholarship
Chicago with $60k scholarship
NYU with $62.5-75k scholarship

My reasons:
1) have lived in NYC, experienced it, and don't want NYC biglaw.
2) prefer small firm or public interest, and thus want to minimize debt load
3) don't plan to end up in NYC long-term (probably mid to south Atlantic coast)
4) prefer UVA campus environment

With cost of living and personal savings included:
UVA would be ~$56k debt COA
NYU would be at ~$95k COA
Chicago would be ~$95k COA
Columbia would be ~$140k COA
Amounts excludes interest.

Is my calculation right, that the prestige of CCN isn't worth it if I'm not interested in NYC or biglaw long-term? I am interested in clerkships or other PI opportunities however. For what it's worth, I'm also debt averse.

Apologies for the multiple topics on this. I keep seeing lots of other people going the other way, so I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Doorkeeper

Re: UVA Sanity Check...

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed May 01, 2013 11:32 am

If you want to end up in the Mid-Atlantic/South, definitely don't want to live in NYC, definitely don't want NYC biglaw, and like the campus environment at UVA the most, then I think taking UVA is a perfectly acceptable choice here considering that it gives you the lowest debt load of all four options. UVA also does very well with federal clerkships relative to the others schools (all average around 10-14% clerkship rate). The one thing I'm not sure about is how well UVA does in placing people into PI opportunities, but perhaps someone else could speak more about that.

Don't worry about what other people say about other people's situation. Each person's situation is unique, so the rationales given in another thread about NYU vs. UVA aren't necessarily applicable for you.

cwid1391

Postby cwid1391 » Wed May 01, 2013 11:45 am

If you're not gunning for BigLaw, take Virginia and run. UVA has a crazy good reputation in the South and is more well known than Chicago or NYU just because so many more UVA grads wind up in the South.

North

Postby North » Wed May 01, 2013 12:35 pm

Go to UVA.

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Wed May 01, 2013 12:39 pm

Answered your own question... UVA. And if you change your mind and really do want big law, if you have ties to a particular Southern market, UVA will likely place you there. I know for a fact, Texas firms love UVA grads.

cwid1391

Postby cwid1391 » Wed May 01, 2013 12:46 pm

El Principe wrote:Texas firms love UVA grads.

Does this require Texas ties? I've heard such wildly varying thing about Texas, but mostly that unless (1) you are from Texas or (2) are from somewhere else and go to school in Texas, that you really can't break into that market. I've heard that even being from the South (non-Texas) doesn't really get you in. Thoughts?

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Wed May 01, 2013 1:05 pm

cwid1391 wrote:

Does this require Texas ties? I've heard such wildly varying thing about Texas, but mostly that unless (1) you are from Texas or (2) are from somewhere else and go to school in Texas, that you really can't break into that market. I've heard that even being from the South (non-Texas) doesn't really get you in. Thoughts?

Yeah, I think Texas is somewhat insular when it comes to ties... As far as I know, most of those people who come from T14 schools have ties, so I'm not sure how many, if any, who don't have those ties break in... I could ask my source (partner @ big3) to what extent ties are necessary when I get the chance.

cwid1391

Postby cwid1391 » Wed May 01, 2013 1:09 pm

El Principe wrote:
cwid1391 wrote:

Yeah, I think Texas is somewhat insular when it comes to ties... As far as I know, most of those people who come from T14 schools have ties, so I'm not sure how many, if any, who don't have those ties break in... I could ask my source (partner @ big3) to what extent ties are necessary when I get the chance.

That'd be great. Also ask him if he wants to give cwid a 1L SA next summer. :lol:

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 01, 2013 1:28 pm

UVA is perfectly fine.

I personally would go to UChicago here even with your goals, but I understand others have different priorities, and its far from an obvious choice.

Good luck!

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Wed May 01, 2013 4:11 pm

You've passed your sanity check on my watch. UVA all the way.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed May 01, 2013 5:04 pm

I think UVA is totally defensible here but damn, that's a nice debt load for NYU and Chicago.

People gush about NYUs PI placement/resources, the OP shouldn't be thinking about that? Personally I have no idea.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed May 01, 2013 8:55 pm

BigZuck wrote:I think UVA is totally defensible here but damn, that's a nice debt load for NYU and Chicago.

People gush about NYUs PI placement/resources, the OP shouldn't be thinking about that? Personally I have no idea.

Nah, not if you definitely do not want to live in NYC during or after school. Not nearly worth it.

I think in a vacuum, NYU or Chicago at those prices would be a slightly better move, but UVA definitely passes the sanity check and makes a whole lot of sense for you. Congrats.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed May 01, 2013 9:27 pm

i don't think taking a 90k scholly to UVA (or any T14, for that matter) can ever be considered insane, unless one is passing on a full ride to a higher ranked school (and even then, this is defensible). congrats on UVA - hope to see you there next year. :D

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed May 01, 2013 9:32 pm

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed May 01, 2013 9:35 pm

It's certainly a justifiable choice, but personally I think Chi is your best option for the money. Yes it's more expensive, but it puts you in a better spot to mitigate risk and places more nationally then UVA deeper into the class. To me, it's worth the cost difference. That said, UVA has a lot going for it too especially in atmosphere.

firstimer

Postby firstimer » Thu May 02, 2013 4:17 pm

I appreciate the responses! For what it's worth, the NYU COA has some pretty favorable assumptions - the actual cost will probably end up being $5-10k more.

UVA it is then.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”