ASU vs. Miami vs. Michigan State vs. Wayne

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
froglee

Re: ASU vs. Miami vs. Michigan State vs. Wayne

Postby froglee » Fri May 03, 2013 9:07 am

University of Miami---beautiful beachs and great connections in Florida. Imagining working a big law firm and seeing the beaches from your office windows..

Gunnar Stahl

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Fri May 03, 2013 9:42 am

froglee wrote:University of Miami---beautiful beachs and great connections in Florida. Imagining working a big law firm and seeing the beaches from your office windows..

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Fri May 03, 2013 9:51 am

froglee wrote:University of Miami---beautiful beachs and great connections in Florida. Imagining working a big law firm and seeing the beaches from your office windows..

Looking out the window and watching everyone else have a great time isn't all you think it might be.

Also, getting to that big law firm from Miami is extremely unlikely.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:57 am

This is bad advice and you should feel bad.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri May 03, 2013 10:18 am

patrickd139 wrote:

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri May 03, 2013 10:53 am

ImNoScar wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

Maybe you two knuckleheads should feel bad for thinking that was serious advice.

Obvious sarcastic post was obviously sarcastic

FKASunny

Postby FKASunny » Fri May 03, 2013 11:09 am

BigZuck wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

Maybe you two knuckleheads should feel bad for thinking that was serious advice.

Also, there are no beaches in the city of Miami.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri May 03, 2013 11:18 am

BigZuck wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

Obviously it was a joke. However, some people may honestly believe him at face value. People do not need any encouragement to attend these schools at these prices.

jne381
AIPAC Chairman's Council Donor

Postby jne381 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:38 pm

I would say MSU because I am biased, but it is hard to argue with free at Wayne.

As for not being able to leave Michigan with a degree from MSU, this is just silly. I would estimate that about a third of the people that were in my 1L section are now gainfully employed outside of Michigan. Most seem to be based in NY, Texas, DC metro, and Illinois. Not big law, but they have jobs.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri May 03, 2013 11:58 pm

jne381 wrote:I would say MSU because I am biased, but it is hard to argue with free at Wayne.

As for not being able to leave Michigan with a degree from MSU, this is just silly. I would estimate that about a third of the people that were in my 1L section are now gainfully employed outside of Michigan. Most seem to be based in NY, Texas, DC metro, and Illinois. Not big law, but they have jobs.

Only about 40% of the most recent class at MSU became lawyers at all. So you saying that about 1/3 of the people you know are working as lawyers outside of the state of Michigan just does not add up. Unless maybe if you graduated a long time ago. Or unless you're saying they are employed as baristas and burger flippers, not lawyers.

Speaking of frightening employment statistics, I assumed that Michigan State was way better than Wayne state just because I had heard of the former, not the latter. Boy was I wrong. Both are not good law schools in terms of job placement. But Wayne State is significantly better than MSU if you actually want to work as a lawyer. Given how bad most law schools are in this country I don't know that the OP is all that bad off if they attend Wayne State for free. As long as they are ok with working at a small law firm in Michigan and they realize that there is about a 50% chance that after three years they won't have a lawyer job to show for it (but of course this is the case for most "strong regionals" that TLS says are good options if they are free)

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Sat May 04, 2013 1:27 am

jne381 wrote:As for not being able to leave Michigan with a degree from MSU, this is just silly. I would estimate that about a third of the people that were in my 1L section are now gainfully employed outside of Michigan. Most seem to be based in NY, Texas, DC metro, and Illinois. Not big law, but they have jobs.

Best schools for NYC / DC market: HYS, CCN, MSU?

Edit: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... b=location
Last edited by rickgrimes69 on Sat May 04, 2013 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sat May 04, 2013 1:31 am

jne381 wrote:I would say MSU because I am biased, but it is hard to argue with free at Wayne.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=msu

Really, bc LST doesnt seem to agree.

jne381
AIPAC Chairman's Council Donor

Postby jne381 » Sat May 04, 2013 11:38 am

BigZuck wrote:Only about 40% of the most recent class at MSU became lawyers at all. So you saying that about 1/3 of the people you know are working as lawyers outside of the state of Michigan just does not add up. Unless maybe if you graduated a long time ago. Or unless you're saying they are employed as baristas and burger flippers, not lawyers.

I can't say what is going on with the other sections from the year I entered, but my section was about 70 people, and I there are about 20-some people from that section working in other states. I don't know what to tell you.

Edit- okay, I just did an official facebook count, and it is only 19.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat May 04, 2013 2:33 pm

jne381 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Only about 40% of the most recent class at MSU became lawyers at all. So you saying that about 1/3 of the people you know are working as lawyers outside of the state of Michigan just does not add up. Unless maybe if you graduated a long time ago. Or unless you're saying they are employed as baristas and burger flippers, not lawyers.

I can't say what is going on with the other sections from the year I entered, but my section was about 70 people, and I there are about 20-some people from that section working in other states. I don't know what to tell you.

Edit- okay, I just did an official facebook count, and it is only 19.

Are they attorneys?

Law911

Postby Law911 » Fri May 10, 2013 6:50 pm

Has anyone noticed that the LST and the US News employment numbers don't match up? It's really confusing

Gunnar Stahl

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Fri May 10, 2013 8:38 pm

Law911 wrote:Has anyone noticed that the LST and the US News employment numbers don't match up? It's really confusing

Us news employment numbers are inflated by the schools. LST is the best real data we have. Ignore anything you read in us news

Law911

Postby Law911 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:54 pm

On LST are the Key Stats drawn from the ABA format or are they different raw data sources?

Gunnar Stahl

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Sat May 11, 2013 12:05 am

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon May 13, 2013 11:22 pm

Ignore USNWR

Law911

Postby Law911 » Thu May 16, 2013 1:19 pm

Withdrew from Miami today. It hurts so bad to turn down $90k especially to live in Miami, but you guys are right. The debt burden is not worth it

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu May 16, 2013 2:02 pm

Law911 wrote:Withdrew from Miami today. It hurts so bad to turn down $90k especially to live in Miami, but you guys are right. The debt burden is not worth it

Good. 1 down, three to withdraw from go.

Law911

Postby Law911 » Mon May 27, 2013 10:23 am

I chose to go to Wayne State on the full scholarship with $0 in COA. Can't beat free and Wayne has a great reputation within the state of Michigan / city of Detroit. Hopefully the decision turns out to be worthwhile.
Last edited by Law911 on Mon May 27, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon May 27, 2013 2:02 pm

Law911 wrote:the state of Detroit.

MichNole19

Postby MichNole19 » Mon May 27, 2013 2:43 pm

I would go with Wayne for free, there is no reason to go further in debt to get an equivalent degree. Something else to think about, I attend UF but went to FSU for undergrad and so far the ability to reach two alumni networks has worked in my favor, so I would strongly consider not going to MSU again.

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Mon May 27, 2013 3:03 pm

None of above

Return to “Choosing a Law School”