Is a deferral seat deposit worth it?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bloynoys
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:34 am

Is a deferral seat deposit worth it?

Postby bloynoys » Wed May 01, 2013 5:49 am

Got a quick question for you guys on here.

I am a math and statistics major originally from Colorado. Always wanted to go to CU as I have solid connections in the area and such. I was wait listed originally and then accepted (with the please fill our class type scholarship). However, I accepted an awesome internship with an MLB team in baseball operations. This runs through October and pushes my enrollment back a year.

So my question is this, I figure it's about a 50% chance I parlay this into a full time job there or somewhere else and I do not go to law school. 25% chance I end up doing statistics grad school instead and 25% chance law.

So for a 25% chance of going to law school in 2014 is it worth $950 to ensure a seat? I'm 3.44/162 so really 50/50 if I reapply as GPA may drop to around 3.40. They obviously won't guarantee me that scholarship, and thus will probably not get one by deferring, where if reapplying I could roll the dice and hope for another soft admission cycle.

Or by them even offering a deferral to someone that is at least on the bottom 50-25% of offers, do they expect an even softer year next year, in which I could save the 950 (though would have admission fees again), and just reapply if I decide I am going for law?

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Is a deferral seat deposit worth it?

Postby JamesDean1955 » Wed May 01, 2013 5:56 am

I think most people on here will tell you it's not worth it, and that you shouldn't even go to law school unless you retake the LSAT and get a scholarship to a better school.

In any case, it won't hurt you if you wait and reapply. A .04 GPA drop won't matter. Schools like CU will continue having a hard time filling their seats next year. I wouldn't waste the $950.

User avatar
dawyzest1
Posts: 233
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:39 am

Re: Is a deferral seat deposit worth it?

Postby dawyzest1 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:29 am

JamesDean1955 wrote:I think most people on here will tell you it's not worth it, and that you shouldn't even go to law school unless you retake the LSAT and get a scholarship to a better school.

In any case, it won't hurt you if you wait and reapply. A .04 GPA drop won't matter. Schools like CU will continue having a hard time filling their seats next year. I wouldn't waste the $950.


+1 $950 is a good chunk of money.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 7 guests