Loyola LA or.....

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Re: Loyola LA or.....

Postby sublime » Wed May 01, 2013 8:10 pm

Postby timbs4339 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:19 pm

Biglaw prospects are shit from Loyola. One year for a 40 year career is nothing.

Postby CO2016YEAH » Wed May 01, 2013 10:46 pm

As it stands now, I think your best bet is GW if you are willing to take DC or Emory if you'd prefer the south east. Both of these schools are more likely to give a favorable outcome in terms of employment likelihood and earnings. Having said that, if you want to stay and work in SoCal it is likely wise to stay local (given the options on the table at present); take the higher scholly at Pepperdine to keep COA down as both schools have similar (read: minimal) Biglaw placement. Of course, as you likely know, biglaw placement is not highly likely from Loyola and Pepperdine.

In any event, my opinion is that riding the WL for the T10 schools you mentioned OS most likely to provide the highest payoff; however, while your odds for Biglaw go way up you may not be in a position to be choosey about your location when it comes to your placement.

The Lsat is good but you're right about the gpa hindrance. I'm thinking you did fairly well this cycle. I'll spare you the "retake and reapply" rhetoric. Decide whether being in LA/SoCal or BigLaw is more important, understanding you may not be able to get both. Reach as high in those WLs as you can or take GW/Emory if you want the best shot at bigger firms. Stay with Pepperdine/Loyola if staying SoCal is most important and you are willing to grind it out working smaller firms and willing to take the gamble on a more impacted legal market.

Edit: I am doing the latter; I've withdrawn from my higher WL offers (mind you, not T10) in favor of staying where I have family ties/personal network and truly want to be. You might do better next cycle; then again, you might not.

Postby karmaman » Thu May 02, 2013 1:02 am

Thanks guys for all th awesome advice its been really helpful. I want to without a doubt stay in the LA area and would like to do so with the least amount of debt as possible. I was testing more in the 167-69 range up until the test so i do think with some extra studying i could easily crack 170 by October, which would be the next time im eligible for my fourh retake. Also, the extra year would allow me to stay and grow the business Im currently working for as they are poised for good growth this year. I figure the extra work experience coupled with a higher lsat, an early app, and a proper diversity statement should get me into SC...but like i said hopefully applying for the third year in a row wont come off as too desparate.

Postby Meepo » Thu May 02, 2013 1:25 am

good luck man

always free tuition for u at chap

Postby Nova » Thu May 02, 2013 1:36 am

karmaman wrote: hopefully applying for the third year in a row wont come off as too desparate.

More like resilient

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu May 02, 2013 1:39 am

karmaman wrote:Male quarter AA, not sure if thata enough to give me the full bump though...what socal schools do you think i could get a full ride too? My ultimate choice would be USC, do u think maybe I should try EDing there instead? I kind of want to get the ball rolling on law school, but i dont want to limit my job prospects and future..i do have some LA connects who say I already have some summer associate / intern stuff available but not sure if its worth it...

At least you're thinking like a smart man and not a special snowflake.

Postby karmaman » Thu May 02, 2013 1:44 am

Haha just saw that Chapman comment..yea i think ill pass......but thanks for the support guys!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”