Loyola LA or.....

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
karmaman
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:21 am

Loyola LA or.....

Postby karmaman » Wed May 01, 2013 3:17 am

So My options as of now are 54k total at Loyola with a 3.2 stip or ride our the waitlist at Cornell, Georgetown, Penn, Virginia, North Western, Vandy, UC Davis, and UC Irvine which I would assume I"m paying sticker at all of the above. I"m born and raised in LA and want to stay and practice big law if possible. Got denied at USC and UCLA which I know would have been my best option but my GPA is pretty low (3.2). I was also offered 90 k at at GWU and 96k at Emory and 84 k at pepperdine..mixed urm

My other thinking is to wait it out and continue working and apply really early for the next cycle as this cycle i didn't apply till Early January because i tool the Dec LSAT and got a 166. Also, then should i try and retake in October which would be my 4th retake or what fo u guys think are the best options at this point?

User avatar
Meepo
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: Loyola LA or.....

Postby Meepo » Wed May 01, 2013 3:20 am

karmaman wrote:So My options as of now are 54k total at Loyola with a 3.2 stip or ride our the waitlist at Cornell, Georgetown, Penn, Virginia, North Western, Vandy, UC Davis, and UC Irvine which I would assume I"m paying sticker at all of the above. I"m born and raised in LA and want to stay and practice big law if possible. Got denied at USC and UCLA which I know would have been my best option but my GPA is pretty low (3.2). I was also offered 90 k at at GWU and 96k at Emory and 84 k at pepperdine..mixed urm

My other thinking is to wait it out and continue working and apply really early for the next cycle as this cycle i didn't apply till Early January because i tool the Dec LSAT and got a 166. Also, then should i try and retake in October which would be my 4th retake or what fo u guys think are the best options at this point?


i think u can get full rides from other socal schools with that score and GPA

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Loyola LA or.....

Postby Clearly » Wed May 01, 2013 3:27 am

Personally, I would reapply next cycle in Sept, I believe you should have better options..What URM?

User avatar
Meepo
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: Loyola LA or.....

Postby Meepo » Wed May 01, 2013 3:40 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Personally, I would reapply next cycle in Sept, I believe you should have better options..What URM?


hinedaotrissipeents

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15418
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Loyola LA or.....

Postby sublime » Wed May 01, 2013 4:56 am

..

karmaman
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:21 am

Re: Loyola LA or.....

Postby karmaman » Wed May 01, 2013 10:42 am

Male quarter AA, not sure if thata enough to give me the full bump though...what socal schools do you think i could get a full ride too? My ultimate choice would be USC, do u think maybe I should try EDing there instead? I kind of want to get the ball rolling on law school, but i dont want to limit my job prospects and future..i do have some LA connects who say I already have some summer associate / intern stuff available but not sure if its worth it...

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Loyola LA or.....

Postby bk1 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:59 am

karmaman wrote:Male quarter AA, not sure if thata enough to give me the full bump though...what socal schools do you think i could get a full ride too? My ultimate choice would be USC, do u think maybe I should try EDing there instead? I kind of want to get the ball rolling on law school, but i dont want to limit my job prospects and future..i do have some LA connects who say I already have some summer associate / intern stuff available but not sure if its worth it...

They aren't going to lower the bump because you are 1/4.

karmaman
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:21 am

Re: Loyola LA or.....

Postby karmaman » Wed May 01, 2013 1:10 pm

Any other thoughts?

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Loyola LA or.....

Postby Danteshek » Wed May 01, 2013 1:15 pm

Do you have a job currently? Why the rush to go to law school? My personal opinion is that aside from the LLS offer - which is appropriate for someone with your numbers - you had a pretty terrible cycle. I would probably sit out a year, especially if you have a job.

karmaman
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:21 am

Re: Loyola LA or.....

Postby karmaman » Wed May 01, 2013 3:45 pm

Yea i have a fairly good job at the moment and my cost of living in LA is pretty much zero. Do you consider all those WL to be that bad? Do u think my chances would be better at gettig accepted at these schools instead of WL by applying next year? If I wait I would be 25 and out of college for three years at that point so I wanted to get the ball rolling but it you think I"d have a good chance at USC then I would probably wait.

Also do you think it is worth it to try and improve on my 166 or would it look bad since it would be my fourth retake?

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Loyola LA or.....

Postby Danteshek » Wed May 01, 2013 4:24 pm

karmaman wrote:Yea i have a fairly good job at the moment and my cost of living in LA is pretty much zero. Do you consider all those WL to be that bad? Do u think my chances would be better at gettig accepted at these schools instead of WL by applying next year? If I wait I would be 25 and out of college for three years at that point so I wanted to get the ball rolling but it you think I"d have a good chance at USC then I would probably wait.

Also do you think it is worth it to try and improve on my 166 or would it look bad since it would be my fourth retake?


Keep your job. Your options are not good enough to warrant leaving a good job.

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: Loyola LA or.....

Postby Dmini7 » Wed May 01, 2013 4:35 pm

Did you not put down that you were AA? Also, did you write a diversity statement to again hammer the point home? USC shouldve gobbled that 166 LSAT up with tons of money. Since you are a URM you owe it to yourself to sit out, something went wrong, there is no reason you shouldve been dinged at USC and probably couldve snagged some T14's With that said, if you are dead set on going and being in LA, you have to show loyola your offer from emory. You can't attend loyola with only 54k. You deserve much, much more.

I honestly think there was an issue with your application. USC rarely denies AA's with higher than a 164. Write a LOCI, and if you didnt before write a diversity statement about overcoming some form of adversity dealing with being a minority. I think USC will pull you off that waitlist if you do.

User avatar
The Brainalist
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: Loyola LA or.....

Postby The Brainalist » Wed May 01, 2013 4:39 pm

Ride out the waitlists.

karmaman
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:21 am

Re: Loyola LA or.....

Postby karmaman » Wed May 01, 2013 5:17 pm

Maybe that was my mistake, I didn"t write a diversity statement anywhere because I figured I didn"t need one with my numbers. Unfornuately, i didnt even gey WLed at USC which I thought I at least would have been, but I did get WLed at pretty much every T14 school from 7 on up..if i wait till next year it would be my third year applying to USC and UCLa wouldnt that look desparate?? oh and tried to negotiate with Loyola and they aaid their funds have been exhausted, and Im an Lmu alumnus which was pretty lame.

karmaman
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:21 am

Re: Loyola LA or.....

Postby karmaman » Wed May 01, 2013 5:18 pm

Do youguys think it was the late apps that killed me? Would i have way better luck just by applying early and foregoing the retake altogether!

User avatar
Shammis
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: Loyola LA or.....

Postby Shammis » Wed May 01, 2013 5:21 pm

Loyola 2L here...either retake/reapply or take More $$ at Pepperdine. Have you tried to play the scholarship offers off of each other? LLS might give you more $$, but even then, do your best to have as little debt as possible. Everyone has biglaw dreams, the reality is at Pepp and LLS you have a 10% chance of realizing that dream. Good luck.

bananapeanutbutter
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: Loyola LA or.....

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Wed May 01, 2013 5:23 pm

karmaman wrote:Do youguys think it was the late apps that killed me? Would i have way better luck just by applying early and foregoing the retake altogether!

My guess is it is partially because you're 1/4 URM. If they're going below median for a URM, they would probably take a 100% AA with a 161 than a 166 who is 1/4 because URM for the whole social change aspect.

I'd ride out wait lists or reapply. With a 170 and URM boost you're gold. It could be a 100k difference.

karmaman
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:21 am

Re: Loyola LA or.....

Postby karmaman » Wed May 01, 2013 5:28 pm

Yea ive told LLS about pepperdines offer and they said they dont have any funds left to give out. Hey Shammis how was the OCI for you at Loyola? Do a lot of the big LA firms come out?

User avatar
unclepete
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Loyola LA or.....

Postby unclepete » Wed May 01, 2013 6:34 pm

karmaman wrote:Yea ive told LLS about pepperdines offer and they said they dont have any funds left to give out. Hey Shammis how was the OCI for you at Loyola? Do a lot of the big LA firms come out?


I`m waiting to hear back from Loyola re: my scholarship, so this is bad news :(

User avatar
The Brainalist
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: Loyola LA or.....

Postby The Brainalist » Wed May 01, 2013 6:38 pm

Yes, you need to write a diversity statement for every school that allows one. You were definitely hurt by that, especially at the california schools. As a general rule of thumb, I would have applied assuming that schools which allow for a diversity statement probably need one to give you fulll consideration as a diversity-driven admit. If the school does not ask for one, then do not send one.

You should see if the schools you are currently on the waitlist for will accept a diversity statement as part of a letter of continuing interest packet.

ETA: I disagree with an above poster that the diversity statement has to be about overcoming adversity. It should generally be about what makes you diverse and how you have a unique and valuable perspective based upon whatever it is, thus, perhaps implicitly, adding positively to the diversity of perspectives at the school or in the legal profession. Without getting into the typical AA debate, I don't think adversity is the only reason schools give diverse candidates additional consideration.

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: Loyola LA or.....

Postby Dmini7 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:55 pm

The Brainalist wrote:Yes, you need to write a diversity statement for every school that allows one. You were definitely hurt by that, especially at the california schools. As a general rule of thumb, I would have applied assuming that schools which allow for a diversity statement probably need one to give you fulll consideration as a diversity-driven admit. If the school does not ask for one, then do not send one.

You should see if the schools you are currently on the waitlist for will accept a diversity statement as part of a letter of continuing interest packet.

ETA: I disagree with an above poster that the diversity statement has to be about overcoming adversity. It should generally be about what makes you diverse and how you have a unique and valuable perspective based upon whatever it is, thus, perhaps implicitly, adding positively to the diversity of perspectives at the school or in the legal profession. Without getting into the typical AA debate, I don't think adversity is the only reason schools give diverse candidates additional consideration.


He said he was 1/4th AA, Yet he didn't appear to get the boost. He needs to milk that factor out, and it would have been a place for him to do so. The URM boost is probably the biggest boost around, I still think it would be the best option to demonstrate your diversity value, but I do agree that other factors unrelated to his race that make him diverse would also be effective. I more or less said it though because I was in disbelief he didn't get in to these schools and figured he just didnt include anything about his race in his application.

karmaman
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:21 am

Re: Loyola LA or.....

Postby karmaman » Wed May 01, 2013 7:20 pm

Thanks guys for all the advice! I guess i didn"t write anything because I never really had to deal with any adversity or struggle due to my race. I mean sure my skin was a bit darker and my hair a bit different but I have green eyes and I"m from a southern CA beach community where I spent most of my youth skating and surfing with white kids. I didnt really want to make up some hardships when I never really encountered any, but it did make me unique and offer me a different heritage and perspective on the world and politics then my predominantly white caucausian friends. I guess I could write about that and make it sound compelling.

karmaman
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:21 am

Re: Loyola LA or.....

Postby karmaman » Wed May 01, 2013 7:21 pm

And im muslim so i think i definitely dealt with that "adversity" if you will more than my skin color

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Loyola LA or.....

Postby Danteshek » Wed May 01, 2013 7:35 pm

karmaman wrote:Thanks guys for all the advice! I guess i didn"t write anything because I never really had to deal with any adversity or struggle due to my race. I mean sure my skin was a bit darker and my hair a bit different but I have green eyes and I"m from a southern CA beach community where I spent most of my youth skating and surfing with white kids. I didnt really want to make up some hardships when I never really encountered any, but it did make me unique and offer me a different heritage and perspective on the world and politics then my predominantly white caucausian friends. I guess I could write about that and make it sound compelling.


Amazing. Someone on TLS has integrity.

User avatar
The Brainalist
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: Loyola LA or.....

Postby The Brainalist » Wed May 01, 2013 7:40 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
The Brainalist wrote:Yes, you need to write a diversity statement for every school that allows one. You were definitely hurt by that, especially at the california schools. As a general rule of thumb, I would have applied assuming that schools which allow for a diversity statement probably need one to give you fulll consideration as a diversity-driven admit. If the school does not ask for one, then do not send one.

You should see if the schools you are currently on the waitlist for will accept a diversity statement as part of a letter of continuing interest packet.

ETA: I disagree with an above poster that the diversity statement has to be about overcoming adversity. It should generally be about what makes you diverse and how you have a unique and valuable perspective based upon whatever it is, thus, perhaps implicitly, adding positively to the diversity of perspectives at the school or in the legal profession. Without getting into the typical AA debate, I don't think adversity is the only reason schools give diverse candidates additional consideration.


He said he was 1/4th AA, Yet he didn't appear to get the boost. He needs to milk that factor out, and it would have been a place for him to do so. The URM boost is probably the biggest boost around, I still think it would be the best option to demonstrate your diversity value, but I do agree that other factors unrelated to his race that make him diverse would also be effective. I more or less said it though because I was in disbelief he didn't get in to these schools and figured he just didnt include anything about his race in his application.


I think we are actually in agreement. I meant it should yes be about race, but "diversity" and not "adversity".

Also, I think, for OP, there is additional value even if it is merely to clarify that he is 1/4 the URM race and that he believes he was fortunate enough to live in an accepting community and not have to struggle with adversity based on race. Nonetheless, a person of mixed heritage will still have a unique perspective. In doing so, he can both allow the school to give him credit for his diversity, but also not have to feel like he misled anyone about his race by simply checking boxes on his app.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: pkou19 and 6 guests