XXXXX

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

XXXXXXXX

XXXXXXX
51%
XXXXXXX
49%

Total votes: 41

oldschool123

Re: NYU v. Columbia (Deadline Day)

Postby oldschool123 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:08 pm

As someone pretty ignorant and curious on this subject.....what exactly are the respective stereotypes for the CLS and NYU student bodies?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:11 pm

oldschool123 wrote:As someone pretty ignorant and curious on this subject.....what exactly are the respective stereotypes for the CLS and NYU student bodies?

At their baldest:
CLS: stuffy gunners
NYU: hipster party kids

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:13 pm

oldschool123 wrote:As someone pretty ignorant and curious on this subject.....what exactly are the respective stereotypes for the CLS and NYU student bodies?

Columbia:

NYU:

--ImageRemoved--

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:19 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:

Columbia:

NYU:

--ImageRemoved--

Shockingly accurate. I think that guy with the guitar was in my section.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:22 pm

I will say that virtually everyone I met this year said they planned to do public interest. Or at least that was the case early on. By now a lot more people have seen the light.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:29 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:I will say that virtually everyone I met this year said they planned to do public interest. Or at least that was the case early on. By now a lot more people have seen the light.

I still know quite a few gung ho PI people, but most of the people I interact with were firm homies from the start anyway.

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:28 pm

I'm not really being serious. These schools are so close that there really isn't a good way to choose without being somewhat subjective.

For example, I'm not a big sports fan myself, but one thing you may want to consider is access to sporting events.

Can anyone tell OP whether NYU or Columbia is part of a popular sports association or league?

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:39 pm

I love this thread. Just dropping by to say this: Columbia >>>>>>NYU. That felt good. I will die peacefully. HYSC C N. Go to Columbia OP.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:46 pm

The Brainalist wrote:I'm not really being serious. These schools are so close that there really isn't a good way to choose without being somewhat subjective.

For example, I'm not a big sports fan myself, but one thing you may want to consider is access to sporting events.

Can anyone tell OP whether NYU or Columbia is part of a popular sports association or league?

Neither are. Sports are more-or-less irrelevant to both schools.

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:53 pm

Bronck wrote:
The Brainalist wrote:I'm not really being serious. These schools are so close that there really isn't a good way to choose without being somewhat subjective.

Are you sure?

I could swear I'vy seen it somewhere.

Postby 062914123 » Wed May 01, 2013 12:16 am

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed May 01, 2013 12:20 am

The Brainalist wrote:
Bronck wrote:

Are you sure?

It might be this that you're thinking of: http://www.law.nyu.edu/news/DEANS_CUP_2013

Just kidding, of course the league in which each university plays sports should factor into your decision—don't miss one second of exciting University Athletic Association action! Come to NYU Law!

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Wed May 01, 2013 12:21 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:It might be this that you're thinking of: http://www.law.nyu.edu/news/DEANS_CUP_2013

Just kidding, of course the league in which each university plays sports should factor into your decision—don't miss one second of exciting University Athletic Association action! Come to NYU Law!

NYU Football: undefeated since WWII

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed May 01, 2013 12:23 am

Bronck wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:It might be this that you're thinking of: http://www.law.nyu.edu/news/DEANS_CUP_2013

NYU Football: undefeated since WWII

I'm just waiting for the lay prestige of "Yeah, I go to a UAA law school" to catch on. Any day now.

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Wed May 01, 2013 12:26 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
The Brainalist wrote:
Bronck wrote:

Are you sure?

It might be this that you're thinking of: http://www.law.nyu.edu/news/DEANS_CUP_2013

With athletics pretty much a wash, perhaps other subjective factors are important to OP.

For example, what is the horticulture like on each campus? Does NYU have any garden areas the students pass time in? Or, does Columbia have any space for vines? I don't know about you, but without plant life, I'd be so stressed out I would start climbing the walls.

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Wed May 01, 2013 12:32 am

Fun fact: I think Michael Douglas' character in War of the Roses went to Columbia Law School:

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Wed May 01, 2013 12:34 am

You could always choose based on whether you want to go school in one of the ugliest buildings in New York (bested by its neighbor SIPA though) or in three merely aesthetically displeasing buildings.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Wed May 01, 2013 12:54 am

Columbia athletics a wash? A wash!? A WASH?!?!!

I am prepared to engage in fisticuffs with the next person to besmirch my alma mater's athletics. Our football team went... Well, our basketball team... What's important is.... Dude, my team's GPA record - best in the nation. Nailed it.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed May 01, 2013 1:01 am

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Wed May 01, 2013 1:17 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Image

I agree

Ship87

Postby Ship87 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:11 am

CLSer here who interned at a major wall st institution during the year and will be working for a biglaw firm in the financial district: I proudly fit the stereotype.

Honestly, I've met lots of NYU people and they're just like us. The stereotypes have no validity. Plenty of uberliberals in both schools. I think the stereotypes from their colleges seem to carry over into the law schools but those have no basis in reality. The top m&a firm was founded by NYU graduates.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Wed May 01, 2013 2:15 am

I think the NYU/Columbia divide is really overblown. The echochamber is larger than TLS, but I don't know that it's actually larger than the gossip surrounding both of the schools. NYU has some killer scholars if you're into public interest stuff. Columbia has fewer, but if you are interested in the right niche, you'll find the same thing. It would be dangerous to think that you'd be a big fish in a small pond aiming for public interest work at CLS. I know a number of students who are PI focused and who do quite well. I haven't met too many people who admit to following rankings. I know I followed the money, and I'm sure others did as well. I also know of some folks who apparently had bad experiences at one of the schools so they settled on the other.

That said, even the "atmosphere," location, and faculty don't matter much in the end. 1L seems awful everywhere. 2L seems busy. 3Ls stay away from the school.

If it were me, I'd ask both schools about employment. I'd look into the faculty and see if there was someone who seemed really cool. I'd see if there's some strange, well developed niche that appealed to me. In the end, I think that CLS and NYU end up being pretty much the same school, with nearly identical student bodies who study and do nearly exactly the same thing. There are hipsters at CLS and there will be corporate cut-throats at NYU. People will do PI and Biglaw in nearly identical proportions. (we're talking 18% v. 21.6% here; and given that 4% more at NYU are employed by the school, I'd wager that they really are almost identical)

Go where you want to. Just don't believe people who say there's much of a real difference. They're both good schools, but people who try and slice and dice differences are probably trying to convince others (or themselves) that they made the right choice because of ~reasons~.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”