XXXXX

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

XXXXXXXX

XXXXXXX
51%
XXXXXXX
49%

Total votes: 41

worthymocka

XXXXX

Postby worthymocka » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:17 pm

XXXXX
Last edited by worthymocka on Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yukos

Re: NYU v. Columbia (Deadline Day)

Postby Yukos » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:40 pm

At equal cost NYU is probably slightly better for PI, Columbia slightly better for biglaw, but I would imagine cultural differences would overshadow any marginal employment differences. These are two of the most different student bodies in the T14, as you seem to be aware, so that should be a major factor for you since everything else is just about even.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:02 pm

NYU's public interest community is very strong and cohesive, and it has a great alumni network in many public interest areas. I don't know that that makes it much easier to actually get a job in those fields. Frankly you sound likely to go the firm route for a while. I was in a similar boat to you, went to NYU, and will be going to a firm. That said, I'm glad that I chose NYU even though I didn't end up going into PI work. I feel like I've been exposed to public interest as a legitimate option and decided against pursuing it for informed reasons, not just because I went with the path of least resistance (though biglaw being a path of lesser resistance certainly contributed to that decision). On the other hand, CLS may give you a marginally better shot at biglaw; I think it's probably fairly marginal in reality, but the statistics are what they are and they do consistently show CLS with an edge in firm placement.

ETA: That probably wasn't all that helpful but the answer is really that it won't matter that much. I think CLS is probably the slightly more risk averse place to go, if you're really on the fence about it.

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:12 pm

Do you want to explain to people what "T6" means for the rest of your life or would you rather just say top 5?

I'm not saying that OP should make his/her decision based on USNWR, but its probably going to save some time in bar conversations, which has to be worth something.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:14 pm

The Brainalist wrote:Do you want to explain to people what "T6" means for the rest of your life or would you rather just say top 5?

I'm not saying that OP should make his/her decision based on USNWR, but its probably going to save some time in bar conversations, which has to be worth something.

My personal theory is that most of the difference in student bodies between CLS and NYU is because all the people who care about this go to CLS. Guess which group of people I'd prefer?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:17 pm

Both of these at sticker with the desire to do PI is a scary thought.

This being said, Columbia if you care more about immediate biglaw chances and NYU if you care more about going directly into PI.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:20 pm

Since your loaning out 280,000, the biggest question for me in PI would be, which has better LRAP? I researched the two schools intensely when choosing but didnt compare since I wasnt going into PI. Im guessing NYU is marginally better but its worth looking over.

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:25 pm

There is the Ivy alum factor that could come in handy.... short and long term.

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:26 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
The Brainalist wrote:Do you want to explain to people what "T6" means for the rest of your life or would you rather just say top 5?

My personal theory is that most of the difference in student bodies between CLS and NYU is because all the people who care about this go to CLS. Guess which group of people I'd prefer?

The one where people are constantly explaining the meaning of "T6" to acquaintances, ironically sounding even more like prestige-obsessed douches?

I don't know. I think the NYU spiel is even more obnoxious: "Yeah, I was choosing between NYU and Columbia, but I decided to go to NYU because the people were cooler, even though it is ranked lower." Huh? So now, you make sure to put down Columbia students on a personal level everytime it comes up. That's not going to come off well either.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:30 pm

The Brainalist wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:

The one where people are constantly explaining the meaning of "T6" to acquaintances, ironically sounding even more like prestige-obsessed douches?

I don't know. I think the NYU spiel is even more obnoxious: "Yeah, I was choosing between NYU and Columbia, but I decided to go to NYU because the people were cooler, even though it is ranked lower." Huh? So now, you make sure to put down Columbia students on a personal level everytime it comes up. That's not going to come off well either.

Or you just decide between them and then don't talk about it again, and never, ever say "T6" to anyone in real life because the only people who might give a crap what your law school is ranked already know?

ETA: Because it's probably not coming across here, I am being at least 66% facetious. Obviously a large number of people at CLS also go there because they didn't get into NYU.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:32 pm

The Brainalist wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:

I hope you go to Columbia because you're pretty much playing into every Columbia student stereotype right now.

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:37 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
The Brainalist wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:

Or you just decide between them and then don't talk about it again, and never, ever say "T6" to anyone in real life because the only people who might give a crap what your law school is ranked already know?

ETA: Because it's probably not coming across here, I am being at least 66% facetious. Obviously a large number of people at CLS also go there because they didn't get into NYU.

So

1. Go to NYU
2. Never talk about it
3. Never say "T6" irl

Hmmm... I'm not sure about this. Sounds like NYU students have to deal with a lot of inner turmoil.

"Top 5"
"Top 5"

Man... it just rolls right off the tongue... tastes like... I don't know. What is the opposite of shame?

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:38 pm

Yukos wrote:
The Brainalist wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:

I hope you go to Columbia because you're pretty much playing into every Columbia student stereotype right now.

By stereotyping Columbia students, you sound a lot like my stereotypes of NYU students right now.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:43 pm

The Brainalist wrote:By stereotyping Columbia students, you sound a lot like my stereotypes of NYU students right now.

Everyone stereotypes Columbia students cause it's so damn easy.

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:48 pm

Yukos wrote:
The Brainalist wrote:By stereotyping Columbia students, you sound a lot like my stereotypes of NYU students right now.

Everyone stereotypes Columbia students cause it's so damn easy.

*NYU student hi-fives Fordham student over shared stereotyping of Columbia students*
*Briefly enjoys feeling of satisfaction*

Yeah!

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:51 pm

Actually, I didn't think the Columbia stereotype was so much a feeling of superiority over NYU based on USNWR, but more of a group of people who never got over that Harvard rejection.

Discuss.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:55 pm

Sup girl, I go to a t5 lawschool. Come chill at my place on 144st or wherever the hell CLS is

versus

Sup girl, I live in the village

NYU is the clear choice here.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:13 pm

Well this dick-swinging contest was of minimal enjoyment all third parties...

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:15 pm

If you want PI, being one in the field rather than an RTK is still better than being the only dude at CLS who wants it (exaggerating obv)

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:21 pm

I doubt you're having many bar conversations, so this is really all just speculation.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:37 pm

Im actually rather shocked by the total perpetuation of these stereotypes on a site that should be able to offer more objective commentary. There's a difference, but its not this stark, and this is most easily demonstrated by the similarity in employment data. Most people at both schools go work for the same midtown/downtown firms anyway. They are all law students who are in training to make rational decisions. The world-views cant possibly be this different. There may be a minority of students who choose between the two on the basis of "personality", but thats after considering admittance, scholarship & cost, location, professors, clinics/journals, ect.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:51 pm

I think the cultural differences are being overstated as well. Just go to whichever school you personally like more. At equal cost, they really aren't going to be different. You'll find insufferable douches at every and you'll fine great people at every school.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:58 pm

There's definitely a difference in student bodies, it's not necessarily a bad thing for CLS though. But really, we're all law students, saying one is more or less neurotic or whatever is kind of a fattest Olson twin argument.

pastapplicant

Postby pastapplicant » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:00 pm

The Brainalist wrote:Actually, I didn't think the Columbia stereotype was so much a feeling of superiority over NYU based on USNWR, but more of a group of people who never got over that Harvard rejection.

Discuss.

lol at this clown over here. it is even more pathetic that this dude is not even a full-time troll on this board and that his comments are genuine. no one cares anymore once you enter law school about the useless distinctions between CCN or CCNP or whatever the flavor of the year it is for TLS. you aren't going to impress anybody whether it be partners, judges, or chicks by saying you go to a T5 or a T6 law school. next time, think about what you are typing to make sure you aren't embarrassing yourself and i really hope you will have the sense to not say these things in public.

as for the OP, at equal money i would go with where you feel the most comfortable and can see yourself having as much fun as law school will allow.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:04 pm

This only devolved into a subjective stereotype shitshow because pretty much everything that can be said about this decision has been said ad nauseam, here and elsewhere. NYU's got a bunch of people who went there to do public interest, a lot more people who went there thinking they might vaguely want to do public interest and then went to a firm, and then even more people who just wanted to go to a firm. Columbia's got more of the last group, probably a little less of the middle group, and a good number less of the first group. So that's your student body distinction in a nutshell, at least as far as I can tell. Columbia is also a Top Five school, which is really cool, and Ivy League, which is cooler, and NYU is in the Village, so that's pretty cool too. Most of the people matriculating at both schools will be working together at large NYC law firms in three years regardless of what their intentions are right now. So, I don't know, man. If you like one of them better you should go there, if you really truly just have no idea which you prefer for any reason whatsoever then go to Columbia because preftige and stuff.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”