GW ($$) vs. Fordham ($$) vs. BU ($$) vs. BC ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which should I attend?

GW
23
44%
BU
11
21%
BC
11
21%
Fordham
7
13%
 
Total votes: 52

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: GW ($$) vs. Fordham ($$) vs. BU ($$) vs. BC ($$)

Postby hephaestus » Thu May 02, 2013 4:46 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:1. Yeah IP does account for some big law placement, but definitely not most.
2. Self-selection plays a big role.
3. You have no idea what you're talking about and just spitting out what others have said here because you feel bad about trying to justify BC at sticker last month.

All in all I still believe GW>Fordham>BU>BC.


A lot of it is self-selection? Are you kidding? That's totally outrageous. You honestly and earnestly think people at GW self-select out of big law to get a school funded job or be unemployed?

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: GW ($$) vs. Fordham ($$) vs. BU ($$) vs. BC ($$)

Postby kwais » Thu May 02, 2013 5:03 pm

OP, I'm curious. Would you be willing to address either your contention that you must go this year or the many posts that say biglaw is very unlikely from these schools?

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: GW ($$) vs. Fordham ($$) vs. BU ($$) vs. BC ($$)

Postby Blindmelon » Thu May 02, 2013 5:11 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:I knew somebody was going to bring this up.
1. Yeah IP does account for some big law placement, but definitely not most.
2. Self-selection plays a big role.
3. You have no idea what you're talking about and just spitting out what others have said here because you feel bad about trying to justify BC at sticker last month.

All in all I still believe GW>Fordham>BU>BC.


In terms of actual data, BC/BU > GW > Forham. Honestly though, BC/BU for a shot at Boston/NY, Fordham just for NY, GW for DC, lesser extent NY.

TheNextAmendment
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: GW ($$) vs. Fordham ($$) vs. BU ($$) vs. BC ($$)

Postby TheNextAmendment » Thu May 02, 2013 5:12 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:1. Yeah IP does account for some big law placement, but definitely not most.
2. Self-selection plays a big role.
3. You have no idea what you're talking about and just spitting out what others have said here because you feel bad about trying to justify BC at sticker last month.

All in all I still believe GW>Fordham>BU>BC.


A lot of it is self-selection? Are you kidding? That's totally outrageous. You honestly and earnestly think people at GW self-select out of big law to get a school funded job or be unemployed?

What are you talking about? I'm saying self-select to take their engineering etc degree to GW than a different LS. More top IP students = more IP big law. Am i missing something? Are there stats anywhere showing how many GWs placed into IP biglaw vs other biglaw? How come specialty rankings mean "nothing" when it comes to overall ranking, but mean everything when it comes to biglaw placement. What am I missing scar? (Give me stats). Keep in mind I'm biased, as you know scar, cuz I've already decided between these schools :P

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: GW ($$) vs. Fordham ($$) vs. BU ($$) vs. BC ($$)

Postby hephaestus » Thu May 02, 2013 5:14 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:1. Yeah IP does account for some big law placement, but definitely not most.
2. Self-selection plays a big role.
3. You have no idea what you're talking about and just spitting out what others have said here because you feel bad about trying to justify BC at sticker last month.

All in all I still believe GW>Fordham>BU>BC.


A lot of it is self-selection? Are you kidding? That's totally outrageous. You honestly and earnestly think people at GW self-select out of big law to get a school funded job or be unemployed?

What are you talking about? I'm saying self-select to take their engineering etc degree to GW than a different LS. More top IP students = more IP big law. Am i missing something? Are there stats anywhere showing how many GWs placed into IP biglaw vs other biglaw? How come specialty rankings mean "nothing" when it comes to overall ranking, but mean everything when it comes to biglaw placement. What am I missing scar? (Give me stats). Keep in mind I'm biased, as you know scar, cuz I've already decided between these schools :P

Ah, thought you meant self selection out of big law, not IP majors. Makes a lot more sense.

TheNextAmendment
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: GW ($$) vs. Fordham ($$) vs. BU ($$) vs. BC ($$)

Postby TheNextAmendment » Thu May 02, 2013 5:37 pm

joeant wrote:No. Not quite. And I never justified it at sticker. Go look at the nlj 250 placement for each school over a five to ten year span; BC is objectively better. The deficit left once IP is removed is not self-selection --it's what's left over. You sir, are retarded, or lazy, and should look up the relevant data and analyze it before going off on a rant.

In all honesty, not trying to be rude, but where are stats showing how much of GW biglaw is IP. Id love to see them. Look at why I said GW is better imo...more national, higher PI. Just because BC has placed a little better than GW in the nlj250 over 10 years doesn't make it objectively better. Let's agree to disagree...peers that depend on students' preferred region.

sflyr2016
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:47 am

Re: GW ($$) vs. Fordham ($$) vs. BU ($$) vs. BC ($$)

Postby sflyr2016 » Thu May 02, 2013 5:51 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:

Am i missing something?


Yes. The Point.

OP is asking which among the school's listed gives him the best shot at biglaw. The answer is BC and BU. GW's biglaw placement is historically not as strong as either, and when you account how much of it's biglaw placement is for IP, a practice area the OP is not aiming for, it only gets weaker.

Among them, BC/BU>GW>Fordham, in that order will help the OP for biglaw. Neither school has "strong" biglaw placement, rather, decent placement, with BC having the strongest historically.

Next time, think out your argument and don't resort to my previous post on another topic as relevant to he discussion being had. That's an argumentative fallacy, better known as an "Ad-Hominem". Also, don't bring your bias into this discussion, unless of course you end it with "that's my opinion".

Next time be informed with objective data, or don't, but at least make sure to stick to what the OP is actually asking or concerned with.

GW is a great IP school. Second best school in DC, and carries almost no national reach beyond DC and maybe NY. The same can be said for the rest of the schools with their respective market regions. However, strictly speaking biglaw placement, BC is historically the stronger school among the four. However, this changes from year to year.
Last edited by sflyr2016 on Thu May 02, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheNextAmendment
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: GW ($$) vs. Fordham ($$) vs. BU ($$) vs. BC ($$)

Postby TheNextAmendment » Thu May 02, 2013 5:56 pm

joeant wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:

Am i missing something?


Yes. The Point.

OP is asking which among the school's listed gives him the best shot at biglaw. The answer is BC and BU. GW's biglaw placement is historically not as strong as either, and when you account how much of it's biglaw placement for IP, a practice area the OP is not aiming for, it only gets weaker.

Among them, BC/BU>GW>Fordham, in that order will help the OP for biglaw. Neither school has "strong" biglaw placement, rather, decent placement, with BC having the strongest historically.

Next time, think out your argument and don't resort to my previous post on another topic as relevant to he discussion being had. That's an argumentative fallacy, better known as an "Ad-Hominem". Also, don't bring your bias into this discussion, unless of course you end it with "that's my opinion".

Next time be informed with objective data, or don't, but at least make sure to stick to what the OP is actually asking or concerned with.

GW is a great IP school. Second best school in DC, and carries almost no national reach beyond DC and maybe NY. The same can be said for the rest of the schools with their respective market regions. However, strictly speaking biglaw placement, BC is historically the stronger school among the four. However, this changes from year to year.


Woahh calm down man. Read the thread again...I was responding to his question about 10 posts after OP in which he asked why some people think GW is better overall. I responded with ""imo"". Are you okay?

sflyr2016
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:47 am

Re: GW ($$) vs. Fordham ($$) vs. BU ($$) vs. BC ($$)

Postby sflyr2016 » Thu May 02, 2013 6:01 pm

[quote="TheNextAmendment"]
You have no idea what you're talking about and just spitting out what others have said here because you feel bad about trying to justify BC at sticker last month.

I'm cool.

Are you okay? I responded to the OP's question, but you interrupted with that. Then I responded to you.

TheNextAmendment
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: GW ($$) vs. Fordham ($$) vs. BU ($$) vs. BC ($$)

Postby TheNextAmendment » Thu May 02, 2013 6:05 pm

I give up with you. OP they're all peers. I think GW is a little better. Good luck!




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests