Emory v UGA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Emory (105k) v UGA (in-state+10k/yr) v Other

Poll ended at Thu May 30, 2013 6:44 pm

Emory
21%
UGA
67%
Other
13%

Total votes: 24

prospero

New

Emory v UGA

Post by prospero » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:44 pm

Hello TLS,

I am currently trying to decide between attending UGA with in-state tuition and a 10k/yr scholarship and Emory with 105k. LST estimates UGA COA in-state at ~127k, Emory at ~260k. I'll be paying strictly with loans, although I do not have any debt currently.

I believe I would like to work in the SE, perhaps in a small and charming southern city or perhaps a larger city like Atlanta or Charlotte. My immediate family is in SC. My career goals are not well-defined. I have done some debate in college and have been telling people I am interested in civil litigation. On the bright side, I have had several professors express confidence in my ability to become a good lawyer.

I'm straight out of undergrad with a 3.78 and 169. I took the LSAT once after studying for three months, and I got about what I expected.

I have two primary questions. First, would Emory be worth the extra money? From the digging around I have done it doesn't appear there's any significant difference in job placement between the two schools, although I worry that Athens, while a wonderful town, would not really be conducive to professional development. Second, given my generally ill-defined notions of where I would like to live and what kind of law I would like to practice, should I hesitate about committing to law school (or these law schools) and the debt I am considering taking on?

Thank you very much for any comments, information, or advice that you would be willing to share.

dawyzest1

Bronze

Re: Emory v UGA

Post by dawyzest1 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:51 pm

Whoa whoa whoa, friend. Did you apply to Vandy or Duke? With your stats both of those should be options.

I don't like either UGA or Emory at your current prices. I feel like UGA should be coming up with more scholly and just no no no to paying that much for Emory.

Also, you sound like a prime candidate for a year or two off, a retake and then a more thorough investigation of whether or not you really want to go down this path of law school.

empyreanrrv

Bronze

Post by empyreanrrv » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:52 pm

Did you apply to any T14s? Duke?

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:53 pm

prospero wrote:Hello TLS,

I am currently trying to decide between attending UGA with in-state tuition and a 10k/yr scholarship and Emory with 105k. LST estimates UGA COA in-state at ~127k, Emory at ~260k. I'll be paying strictly with loans, although I do not have any debt currently.

I believe I would like to work in the SE, perhaps in a small and charming southern city or perhaps a larger city like Atlanta or Charlotte. My immediate family is in SC. My career goals are not well-defined. I have done some debate in college and have been telling people I am interested in civil litigation. On the bright side, I have had several professors express confidence in my ability to become a good lawyer.

I'm straight out of undergrad with a 3.78 and 169. I took the LSAT once after studying for three months, and I got about what I expected.

I have two primary questions. First, would Emory be worth the extra money? From the digging around I have done it doesn't appear there's any significant difference in job placement between the two schools, although I worry that Athens, while a wonderful town, would not really be conducive to professional development. Second, given my generally ill-defined notions of where I would like to live and what kind of law I would like to practice, should I hesitate about committing to law school (or these law schools) and the debt I am considering taking on?

Thank you very much for any comments, information, or advice that you would be willing to share.
That's the best you got with those numbers? Do you have an extensive criminal record? Sit out and re-apply next cycle. I don't see why you don't aim for UVA/Penn/GULC/Duke, some money at Vandy/More at Emory, or a full ride to 'Bama or Georgia. Might as well re-take once more and see if you can crack 170+ and aim for HYSCCN.

Call Emory and tell them you would not attend without a near to, or a full, scholarship.

HankBashir

Silver

Post by HankBashir » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:50 pm

joeant wrote:

That's the best you got with those numbers? Do you have an extensive criminal record? Sit out and re-apply next cycle. I don't see why you don't aim for UVA/Penn/GULC/Duke, some money at Vandy/More at Emory, or a full ride to 'Bama or Georgia. Might as well re-take once more and see if you can crack 170+ and aim for HYSCCN.

Call Emory and tell them you would not attend without a near to, or a full, scholarship.
I think 105k is the max scholly Emory gives outside of the Woodruff, but I could be wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:54 pm

your numbers would get you $ at either vandy or duke. given your stats, neither UGA or emory is the best outcome you could realistically achieve.

but to answer the question, emory is not worth the extra $

also, isn't UGA instate tuition 18k a year? so a 10k discount makes it 24 over 3 years, and the COL in athens is significantly cheaper than Atlanta. you could easily get by on ~10k a year in athens, so that would make the total COA about 60k.

prospero

New

Post by prospero » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:20 pm

Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate it.

I applied to Michigan, was waitlisted, and withdrew. I did apply to Duke and was priority waitlisted. I accepted further consideration, but this was several days after their suggested response date (dumb). I thought there was no hope so I didn't mention it in my initial post.

And joeant, I have an expunged possession charge, but I wouldn't have thought that would make a great deal of difference. However, I did apply rather late in the cycle, and I suppose that couldn't have done me any favors.

I'm not sure I could see myself taking a year off, as I would want to have something productive lined up to be doing during that time. However, assuming nothing changes, you all are definitely making me lean UGA.

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:33 pm

Sorry but I am a little confused. Is the 127k before you deduct the 30k in scholarship? If you spend about 20k/year on expenses then add tuition with your scholarship, you are looking at less than 90k. I understand that doesn't include interest, and I haven't even calculated what my own loans would be with interest, but 127k just seems high to me..

edit: scooped by Flynn

HankBashir

Silver

Post by HankBashir » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:45 pm

prospero wrote:Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate it.

I applied to Michigan, was waitlisted, and withdrew. I did apply to Duke and was priority waitlisted. I accepted further consideration, but this was several days after their suggested response date (dumb). I thought there was no hope so I didn't mention it in my initial post.

And joeant, I have an expunged possession charge, but I wouldn't have thought that would make a great deal of difference. However, I did apply rather late in the cycle, and I suppose that couldn't have done me any favors.

I'm not sure I could see myself taking a year off, as I would want to have something productive lined up to be doing during that time. However, assuming nothing changes, you all are definitely making me lean UGA.
If you ABSOLUTELY must go this fall, then I'd say UGA. However, since you applied late in the cycle if you waited to next cycle and just applied right when applications open, you would be in a much better position.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:50 pm

Law, unlike most careers, is a hierarchical caste system which is determined by the school rank you attend and your rank in it. This will determine the trajectory of your legal career. You don't even have to retake, simply re-apply. Do yourself that favor. Sub teach for a year, date hott young teachers, enjoy your weekends, and reapply to t-14s come October.

Either way GL!

prospero

New

Post by prospero » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:57 pm

prospero wrote:Is the 127k before you deduct the 30k in scholarship?
The 127k is before deducting the 30k scholarship. Tuition is ~18k/yr (in-state sticker), CoL is estimated ~16k/yr, and so I believe the 127k does include interest. I don't really understand interest either, so I'm glad LST has calculated it.

dawyzest1

Bronze

Post by dawyzest1 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:00 pm

joeant wrote:Law, unlike most careers, is a hierarchical caste system which is determined by the school rank you attend and your rank in it. This will determine the trajectory of your legal career. You don't even have to retake, simply re-apply. Do yourself that favor. Sub teach for a year, date hott young teachers, enjoy your weekends, and reapply to t-14s come October.

Either way GL!
+1 You owe it to yourself for your much improved options and the opportunity to chase hot young teachers (though they are in shorter supply than you might think :( )

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:01 pm

prospero wrote:
The 127k is before deducting the 30k scholarship. Tuition is ~18k/yr (in-state sticker), CoL is estimated ~16k/yr, and so I believe the 127k does include interest. I don't really understand interest either, so I'm glad LST has calculated it.
Ooh so its UGA at 97k vs. Emory at 155k. I would say its more like UGA at 80k though, at most. I vote UGA or sit out this cycle.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ookoshi

Bronze

Post by ookoshi » Wed May 01, 2013 3:43 am

Listing the COA without subtracting the scholarships is deceptive. Emory is not actually going to cost you $260k, more like $160k. 160k vs 97k to me sounds like more or less a push between UGA and Emory, but probably UGA is a slightly better deal if you're just planning on working in Georgia or SC. If you're going outside of the south though, Emory would be the better deal.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed May 01, 2013 4:42 am

RemyMarathe

Bronze

Post by RemyMarathe » Thu May 02, 2013 5:23 pm

I applied as a near numbers twin to you, received the same offter at UGA, but did not apply to Emory or Duke. I got 75K at Vandy. I might've gone for 105K, but decided instead on UGA.

UGA keeps your debt level very managable. I'd retake or go to UGA.

empyreanrrv

Bronze

Post by empyreanrrv » Thu May 02, 2013 6:04 pm

Man take the year off, work, do whatever and apply early next cycle. You could retake even, but just applying earlier should do wonders. Your stats are too good to throw them away on these options.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”