Top School or graduate debt free?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Re: Top School or graduate debt free?

Postby bjsesq » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:19 pm

NYFGJoe wrote:
Tekrul wrote:Cornell. To put it in perspective, you are wagering a 50 year career for 3 years now cause you dont 'like' Ithaca . Youth is blinding you with instant gratification

That's not what I said. I like Ithaca a lot. However, I examined both schools and came to the conclusion that being in DC provides a wider range of opportunities to do externships/clinics than being in Ithaca. And it's not like 14 vs 21 in the rankings is a huge difference. Frankly, I didn't understand why Cornell Law was ranked higher than GW.

1. The difference between 14 nad 21 is big where it matters: employment.
2. There is a ton of competition to break into DC. Going to GW isn't doing you any special favors.

Come on, dude. Cornell. Wake up.

HankBashir

Postby HankBashir » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:20 pm

NYFGJoe wrote:
Tekrul wrote:Cornell. To put it in perspective, you are wagering a 50 year career for 3 years now cause you dont 'like' Ithaca . Youth is blinding you with instant gratification

That's not what I said. I like Ithaca a lot. However, I examined both schools and came to the conclusion that being in DC provides a wider range of opportunities to do externships/clinics than being in Ithaca. And it's not like 14 vs 21 in the rankings is a huge difference. Frankly, I didn't understand why Cornell Law was ranked higher than GW.

Is this a joke? Cornell places twice the % of its graduates in large firm jobs and GW had 20% of its graduates in school-funded jobs (as opposed to .5% at Cornell)

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:31 pm

Cornell.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:43 pm

NYFGJoe wrote:

This is one of the most wrong things I have seen on TLS recently. Cool if you like DC or whatever, but Cornell is the mindlessly easy pick. Granted, Cornell does not have great placement in DC, but GW does not really either. Cornell gives you a much better chance at a legitimate legal career.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:07 pm

Being in DC provides a wide range of opportunities, yes...

...for the T-13 kids swooping into the area taking all the positions.

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:22 pm

I would kill a newborn baby for your Cornell offer. :lol: GW is not a good idea for you.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:31 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
NYFGJoe wrote:

This is one of the most wrong things I have seen on TLS recently. Cool if you like DC or whatever, but Cornell is the mindlessly easy pick. Granted, Cornell does not have great placement in DC, but GW does not really either. Cornell gives you a much better chance at a legitimate legal career.

No one has agreed with him. Look at the whole post, not a single person has suggested GW.

OP, you would be out of your mind to chose GW over Cornell

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Do Cornell and just do an externship in DC one semester. http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/academ ... rnship.cfm

This.

Also, it's not "School #14 vs. School #21." It's "T14 School" versus "T50 school." Is that fair? Maybe, maybe not. But that's the way it is.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:00 pm

Thought OP had 45k total at Cornell, then realized it was per year and about shit myself

LOL why is there any doubt here

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:02 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
NYFGJoe wrote:

No one has agreed with him. Look at the whole post, not a single person has suggested GW.

OP, you would be out of your mind to chose GW over Cornell

Yes that's what I was saying. There really is no argument for any other school.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:13 pm

OP, please, please, please go to Cornell.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:21 pm

Cornell's first deposit deadline was the 26th. Makes me wonder if OP already withdrew there.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:59 pm

NYFGJoe wrote:

Cornell by a country mile. Are you kidding me?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed May 01, 2013 12:02 am

Lavitz wrote:Cornell's first deposit deadline was the 26th. Makes me wonder if OP already withdrew there.

If so, then this may be the worst decision I've seen anyone make this cycle (well... outside the "I'm going to a T4, validate my decision!" crew)

I mean, Cornell is leagues better than GW, and would be pretty much the same price as GW. It's just not even a question here. If OP goes to GW or even Columbia with that debt, he will most likely regret not taking Cornell for the rest of his life (either due to a mountain of debt, or not having as many job opportunities). Cornell provides pretty much everything he wants from GW from a debt perspective, while providing him most of what Columbia provides from a jobs perspective.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed May 01, 2013 12:14 am

romothesavior wrote:
Lavitz wrote:Cornell's first deposit deadline was the 26th. Makes me wonder if OP already withdrew there.

If so, then this may be the worst decision I've seen anyone make this cycle (well... outside the "I'm going to a T4, validate my decision!" crew)

I mean, Cornell is leagues better than GW, and would be pretty much the same price as GW. It's just not even a question here. If OP goes to GW or even Columbia with that debt, he will most likely regret not taking Cornell for the rest of his life (either due to a mountain of debt, or not having as many job opportunities). Cornell provides pretty much everything he wants from GW from a debt perspective, while providing him most of what Columbia provides from a jobs perspective.

In the event OP you already withdrew from Cornell and can only decide between GW and Columbia I would go Columbia. But if you still have an opportunity to go to Cornell, then as everyone else has stated, you should do that.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Wed May 01, 2013 12:21 am

ImNoScar wrote:
Icculus wrote:
bee wrote:
bk1 wrote:Cornell and it's not even close.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed May 01, 2013 12:42 am

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed May 01, 2013 12:45 am

Br3v wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

In the event OP you already withdrew from Cornell and can only decide between GW and Columbia I would go Columbia. But if you still have an opportunity to go to Cornell, then as everyone else has stated, you should do that.

Assuming OP withdrew from Cornell, he should:

1. Get on the horn and beg Cornell to re-open his offer. Go there if they do
2. Take a year off (maybe retake?) and try to do a lower T14 with a scholly

(huge drop off)

3. GW with no debt
4. Columbia at sticker

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed May 01, 2013 12:45 am

stuckinthemiddle wrote:I would kill a newborn baby for your Cornell offer. :lol: GW is not a good idea for you.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed May 01, 2013 12:55 am

OP, are you out of your mind? I truly hope you didn't miss the Cornell boat.

Myself

Postby Myself » Wed May 01, 2013 1:05 am

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed May 01, 2013 1:14 am

This really makes me wonder what the heck goes on in Ithaca

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Wed May 01, 2013 1:19 am

Oh. My. God. If OP missed out on Cornell at that cost, I'll just go blind.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed May 01, 2013 1:20 am

sinfiery wrote:This really makes me wonder what the heck goes on in Ithaca

LOL Right!? I would attend all three years naked for that kind of money and those job prospects.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Wed May 01, 2013 2:11 am

Fuck GTTTTown. That school is a shitty degree mill and shouldn't even be in the picture, especially with no scholly. Can't wait till that school drops to 15 someday.

Go to Cornell. 45k PER YEAR? You want to end up in NY? Nothing at Columbia? (Mentions Georgetown again just to piss on it) Go to fucking Cornell.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”