Top School or graduate debt free? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
NYFGJoe

New

Top School or graduate debt free?

Post by NYFGJoe » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:58 pm

I'm currently struggling to decide whether I should attend Columbia Law School at full price, which would require that I take out a large loan, or whether I should accept a $40,000/year scholarship offer from George Washington, which would allow me to graduate debt free (or close to it). I know that for working in big law firms, Columbia is the better choice, but I'm not sure whether that's something I want to do. Going to GW would give me more flexibility in terms of not feeling forced to take a big law job just to pay off the loans, but Columbia would open more doors for employment opportunities. I grew up in New York and probably want to live there after graduation, and while Columbia places more graduates in NY, GW has a decent amount there also. I know you obviously won't have an answer of where I should go, but do you have any advice? How hard is it to pay off student loans? Is there anything else I should be considering? Thanks.

(Sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum.)

howlery

Bronze

Re: Top School or graduate debt free?

Post by howlery » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:01 pm

You don't have any other options within the T14? I'd imagine that if you could get in to Columbia you'd also be extended at least some money at a lower T14. Did you apply to Cornell?

NYFGJoe

New

Post by NYFGJoe » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:06 pm

The other T14 schools I got into were Cornell and Georgetown. Georgetown gave me no money. Cornell gave me $45K/year. However, I'm a current undergraduate at Cornell and can't imagine spending another 3 years in isolated Ithaca. I would rather go to GW.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:08 pm

Are you an engineer

NYFGJoe

New

Post by NYFGJoe » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:09 pm

IAFG wrote:Are you an engineer
No. History major. Although I don't really see how that's relevant.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:10 pm

NYFGJoe wrote:
IAFG wrote:Are you an engineer
No. History major. Although I don't really see how that's relevant.
Because the only way I would suggest GW over CLS is if you were IP secure.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:11 pm

I would bet a large sum of money that in 3 years you will be kicking yourself for not just biting the bullet and going back to Ithaca.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:17 pm

NYFGJoe wrote:The other T14 schools I got into were Cornell and Georgetown. Georgetown gave me no money. Cornell gave me $45K/year. However, I'm a current undergraduate at Cornell and can't imagine spending another 3 years in isolated Ithaca. I would rather go to GW.
Get Georgetown to match Cornell?

NYFGJoe

New

Post by NYFGJoe » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:19 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
NYFGJoe wrote:The other T14 schools I got into were Cornell and Georgetown. Georgetown gave me no money. Cornell gave me $45K/year. However, I'm a current undergraduate at Cornell and can't imagine spending another 3 years in isolated Ithaca. I would rather go to GW.
Get Georgetown to match Cornell?
Tried and failed. Also, failed to get NYU to match Cornell and GW (not that I expected them to).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:26 pm

Is this not a no-brainer for Cornell? I don't understand.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:31 pm

Cornell and it's not even close.

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:40 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:41 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:45 pm

bee wrote:
bk187 wrote:Cornell and it's not even close.

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:48 pm

Cornell. To put it in perspective, you are wagering a 50 year career for 3 years now cause you dont 'like' Ithaca . Youth is blinding you with instant gratification

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:48 pm

Tekrul wrote:Cornell. To put it in perspective, you are wagering a 50 year career for 3 years now cause you dont 'like' Ithaca . Youth is blinding you with instant gratification
DC sucks anyway. The women there look like Clinton.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:56 pm

Icculus wrote:
bee wrote:
bk187 wrote:Cornell and it's not even close.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NanaP

Bronze

Post by NanaP » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:15 pm

I agree with everyone here, suck it up....it's three more years with minimum debt and a great degree....way better option than GW.....

NYFGJoe

New

Post by NYFGJoe » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:54 pm

Tekrul wrote:Cornell. To put it in perspective, you are wagering a 50 year career for 3 years now cause you dont 'like' Ithaca . Youth is blinding you with instant gratification
That's not what I said. I like Ithaca a lot. However, I examined both schools and came to the conclusion that being in DC provides a wider range of opportunities to do externships/clinics than being in Ithaca. And it's not like 14 vs 21 in the rankings is a huge difference. Frankly, I didn't understand why Cornell Law was ranked higher than GW.

$peppercorn

Bronze

Post by $peppercorn » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:59 pm

Cornell, without a doubt, is your best choice.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:00 pm

NYFGJoe wrote:
That's not what I said. I like Ithaca a lot. However, I examined both schools and came to the conclusion that being in DC provides a wider range of opportunities to do externships/clinics than being in Ithaca. And it's not like 14 vs 21 in the rankings is a huge difference. Frankly, I didn't understand why Cornell Law was ranked higher than GW.
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=cornell
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=gw

Both are actually good schools. Cornell is in another league though. It's called the T-14 for a reason (Check out the large firm scores if they don't seem different at first blush).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dawyzest1

Bronze

Post by dawyzest1 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:02 pm

NYFGJoe wrote:
Be that as it may, law school is professional school meaning that employment prospects trump educational experience to a certain extent. Cornell at a discounted price gives you a good chance of securing an optimal outcome with acceptable downside risk. I'd be all-in on Cornell.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:02 pm

NYFGJoe wrote:
This is the height of stupidity. There is a huge difference between Cornell and GW. You would be insane to take GW over Cornell.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:14 pm

Damn... is Ithaca that bad?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:17 pm

NYFGJoe wrote:
Do Cornell and just do an externship in DC one semester. http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/academ ... rnship.cfm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”