GWU ($) vs Loyola LA (full-ride) [Deciding today]

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School? (COA+COL will be covered by family)

Poll ended at Sun May 05, 2013 3:54 pm

GWU (48k total, no stip)
63%
Loyola (Full-ride, 3.2stip)
38%

Total votes: 16

radar714

GWU ($) vs Loyola LA (full-ride) [Deciding today]

Postby radar714 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:32 pm

going to USC off WL
Last edited by radar714 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

timbs4339

Re: GWU ($) vs Loyola LA (full-ride) [Deciding today]

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:27 pm

radar714 wrote:Note: I know TCR is retake, but I have no retakes left. I am fortunate enough to attend law school with no debt (family is covering costs)

3.6/166
Goals: either BigLaw or ADA

Loyola: Full-ride, 150k, $500 monthly stipend, books, etc. 3.2 stip (top 45-50%)
GWU: 48k total, no stips.

WL's: GULC, USC, Vandy, Cornell

I have to decide today and I've narrowed it down to these two options. I have no overwhelming geographic desire although I would like to return to Cali one day (born and raised in LA). I really like DC, however, and wouldn't consider GWU if I couldn't see myself there after graduation (which I can). My thoughts on the matter are that GWU is a substantially better school and even though its not elite, it has substantially better job figures than Loyola (even though they are inflated by ~20% academic fellowships). I spoke with a friend that took a 96k/yr scholly to Loyola last yr and is a current 1L and he told me that holding onto scholarships is much harder than most people think, with ~50% losing their awards (this is only anecdotal, but he's convinced they stack 1-2 sections with most of the scholarship kids so that the curve will edge some out). This worries me because although I would enjoy staying in LA with a free legal education, I'm wary of losing the award and then being stuck at Loyola, paying full-price, and having dismal job opportunities.

If I get pulled from any of the waitlists I would instantly go (except Vandy), but at this point GWU is the best school I've been accepted to that also falls into a city I like and could see myself living in for school and post-grad employment. I also have very strong ties to LA so if I manage to do well at GWU I'm confident I can network my way back.

What are your thoughts? All feedback welcome (especially if you're a current student at either!)

If your family is burn 200K and laugh at the flames rich, GWU. If not, Loyola.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:32 pm

radar714 wrote:Note: I know TCR is retake, but I have no retakes left. I am fortunate enough to attend law school with no debt (family is covering costs)

3.6/166
Goals: either BigLaw or ADA

Loyola: Full-ride, 150k, $500 monthly stipend, books, etc. 3.2 stip (top 45-50%)
GWU: 48k total, no stips.

WL's: GULC, USC, Vandy, Cornell

I have to decide today and I've narrowed it down to these two options. I have no overwhelming geographic desire although I would like to return to Cali one day (born and raised in LA). I really like DC, however, and wouldn't consider GWU if I couldn't see myself there after graduation (which I can). My thoughts on the matter are that GWU is a substantially better school and even though its not elite, it has substantially better job figures than Loyola (even though they are inflated by ~20% academic fellowships). I spoke with a friend that took a 96k/yr scholly to Loyola last yr and is a current 1L and he told me that holding onto scholarships is much harder than most people think, with ~50% losing their awards (this is only anecdotal, but he's convinced they stack 1-2 sections with most of the scholarship kids so that the curve will edge some out). This worries me because although I would enjoy staying in LA with a free legal education, I'm wary of losing the award and then being stuck at Loyola, paying full-price, and having dismal job opportunities.

If I get pulled from any of the waitlists I would instantly go (except Vandy), but at this point GWU is the best school I've been accepted to that also falls into a city I like and could see myself living in for school and post-grad employment. I also have very strong ties to LA so if I manage to do well at GWU I'm confident I can network my way back.

What are your thoughts? All feedback welcome (especially if you're a current student at either!)

Probably wont get big law from either but if you want to try and you insist on choosing between these two then it has to be GWU I think. I would never go to Loyola with big law as the goal. Hopefully you'll get off the waitlist at one of the other 4, big law chances are much better from those schools.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:35 pm

So your family is covering COL or the entire COA? I'm confused by your post.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:54 pm

Loyola. Atleast if you need to drop out you won't be in debt.

edit: and you won't be forcing your parents to spend a ton.

dawyzest1

Postby dawyzest1 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:00 pm

I think you go GW for now and hope for some waitlist magic. I think that Loyola scholarship with that stip and their section stacking is a bad bet. Any of your waitlist options will be more defensible than GW, so I hope you have your LOCIs and updates in and ready to impress!

Good luck!

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:04 pm

Dmini7 wrote:Loyola. Atleast if you need to drop out you won't be in debt.

Rich family, he won't be in debt either way. Plus Loyola does not align with his career goals.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:09 pm

BigZuck wrote:

Rich family, he won't be in debt either way. Plus Loyola does not align with his career goals.

He said his family would cover it, not necessarily that they are filthy rich. Also, GW isn't great for biglaw either unless he is IP eligible. ADA is not a prestige heavy field to get into, and if OP does whats necessary to get their foot in the door, both schools would work well for him for it. The only worry is the stipulation on the scholarship, which if he really is not worried about money being an issue should not be a problem. If he lost his scholarship he could just drop out and not have any debt and find a career field better suited for him. 48k total from GWU is not even a drop in the bucket, thats like 2 years of living expenses. Atleast with loyola he has ties to the area.

(I could be wrong about the ADA as I am taking that information from anecdotal stories, and most of the people are from the boomer area).

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:17 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

He said his family would cover it, not necessarily that they are filthy rich. Also, GW isn't great for biglaw either unless he is IP eligible. ADA is not a prestige heavy field to get into, and if OP does whats necessary to get their foot in the door, both schools would work well for him for it. The only worry is the stipulation on the scholarship, which if he really is not worried about money being an issue should not be a problem. If he lost his scholarship he could just drop out and not have any debt and find a career field better suited for him. 48k total from GWU is not even a drop in the bucket, thats like 2 years of living expenses. Atleast with loyola he has ties to the area.

(I could be wrong about the ADA as I am taking that information from anecdotal stories, and most of the people are from the boomer area).

I always assume when people say #blessed or "so thankful" that their parents are paying that their parents are rich. Because to have them pay that much money if they aren't just rolling in dough is irresponsible at best and reprehensible at worst and I assume that a rational person would not let their parents foot the bill if they couldn't more than afford it. But maybe I should stop assuming that.

And don't get me wrong, I don't think either are good options for the OPs career goals. It's just that at least GW would leave both doors *somewhat* open. Loyola would almost assuredly close at least one.

I am a 0L though so I don't really know what I'm talking about. I don't even know what a tort is FFS.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:20 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

I always assume when people say #blessed or "so thankful" that their parents are paying that their parents are rich. Because to have them pay that much money if they aren't just rolling in dough is irresponsible at best and reprehensible at worst and I assume that a rational person would not let their parents foot the bill if they couldn't more than afford it. But maybe I should stop assuming that.

And don't get me wrong, I don't think either are good options for the OPs career goals. It's just that at least GW would leave both doors *somewhat* open. Loyola would almost assuredly close at least one.

I am a 0L though so I don't really know what I'm talking about. I don't even know what a tort is FFS.

I agree with you on a lot of what you just said. I just think most people will say parents are footing the bill to avoid the retake mantra TLS always spews. Also, OP you should make a poll to see the votes, a lot of people are too lazy to write explanations.

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:17 pm

There are a lot of parents, especially in LA, who routinely drop 60k on the latest model mercedes for their child. The way I see it, full tuition to a private school (or less, here) is among the less frivolous ways to spend money for those who have it, and probably pays more dividends over time.

That is, so long as the more expensive option actually provides more in some way, regardless of whether the returns match the difference in expense (e.g., without getting into whether the difference between a mercedes and a civic merits $40k, the Mercedes is better).

In conclusion, I'm in favor of GW if your parents are wealthy. I'm against it if they cannot afford it.

Meepo

Postby Meepo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:35 pm

loyola is terrible, don't go

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:41 pm

The correct answer is neither, but if you pick I would go to Loyola. Unless you are extravagantly wealthy, I would feel terrible about wasting ~150k of my parent's money.

lukeboydwick

Postby lukeboydwick » Wed May 01, 2013 12:19 pm

Meepo wrote:loyola is terrible, don't go

How do comments like this help anyone?

I agree with the full ride option at Loyola. Considering you want to end up in LA, it seems to make sense going to school, interning, working, and making contacts in the area. Section stacking appears to be a rumor - has anyone actually been able to confirm this? - but just know that you have your work cut out for you, and you shouldn't be going to school simply because you have no other "real career options". That's just my opinion.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”