Final offers. Free at UCLA vs Duke, Berkeley, NYU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
katch
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:18 pm

Re: Final offers. Free at UCLA vs Duke, Berkeley, NYU

Postby katch » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:02 pm

BigZuck wrote:
katch wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
katch wrote:170: over 75th percentile.


Why yes you getting the correct answer on two more logic game questions will undoubtedly prepare you for applying law to fact.


lol Im just quoting what im told!! is it not true? Does the research not in fact show a strong relationship between LSAT and class rank?


Define "strong." Then reexamine the research findings and report back to us.

Common sense would dictate that Ruxin hit the nail on the head in patented pithy, sarcastic Ruxin fashion.


Do we have some non-0Ls that would care to provide anecdotes?

BigZuck
Posts: 10852
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Final offers. Free at UCLA vs Duke, Berkeley, NYU

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:05 pm

You sound like you will be an insufferable gunner, enjoy law school my bro.

katch
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:18 pm

Re: Final offers. Free at UCLA vs Duke, Berkeley, NYU

Postby katch » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:06 pm

BigZuck wrote:
katch wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Both schools are peers, employment stats are virtually the same for all intents and purposes. I feel better about you getting a job from UT than from UCLA because of your ties to TX. However given that you are open to other places I don't think UT is worth only 40K less than Berkeley/Duke. I would go to one of those of these were my options. I would go to UT if you could bring down the COA 10-20K and of you wanted to work in TX above all else.


Thus given that I already confronted UT, even after the financial aid lady told me she thought their refusal to up the offer was strange, and that the deposit deadline has passed, UT is out.


Maybe the fact that you "confronted" them is why they didn't want to listen to your request?

Anyway, of these, Duke or Berkeley whichever you prefer. Sounds like Berkeley so enjoy!


I did a matching request with literally nothing else, like they ask. No extra input from me. Then the financial aid lady told me I should write a personal letter because it seemed like they really should have given me more. And no, I wasn't in any way disrespectful if that is what you believe "confront" connotes.

katch
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:18 pm

Re: Final offers. Free at UCLA vs Duke, Berkeley, NYU

Postby katch » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:07 pm

BigZuck wrote:You sound like you will be an insufferable gunner, enjoy law school my bro.


I don't know why you say that.... Because I didnt throw everything out and just attend UT because Texan pride?

BigZuck
Posts: 10852
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Final offers. Free at UCLA vs Duke, Berkeley, NYU

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:10 pm

katch wrote:
BigZuck wrote:You sound like you will be an insufferable gunner, enjoy law school my bro.


I don't know why you say that.... Because I didnt throw everything out and just attend UT because Texan pride?


You were trying to cite some research study, then you wanted anecdotes and it had to be restricted to numbered Ls. Just strangely argumentative. Anyway I'll stop sullying your thread with my proleish 0L nonsense.

katch
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:18 pm

Re: Final offers. Free at UCLA vs Duke, Berkeley, NYU

Postby katch » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:12 pm

BigZuck wrote:
katch wrote:
BigZuck wrote:You sound like you will be an insufferable gunner, enjoy law school my bro.


I don't know why you say that.... Because I didnt throw everything out and just attend UT because Texan pride?


You were trying to cite some research study, then you wanted anecdotes and it had to be restricted to numbered Ls. Just strangely argumentative. Anyway I'll stop sullying your thread with my proleish 0L nonsense.


I didnt mean that I didnt value 0Ls. I wasnt saying "shut up." I meant that if someone was going to say "I had a high LSAT for my school and I did terribly" or vice versa, I would expect the person to have attended. I was actually asking someone to tell me their experience

Myself
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:36 pm

.

Postby Myself » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:12 pm

.
Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katch
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:18 pm

Re: Final offers. Free at UCLA vs Duke, Berkeley, NYU

Postby katch » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:19 pm

This is along the lines of what I meant: http://www.lsac.org/jd/pdfs/lsat-score- ... rmance.pdf
But really its a distraction here.

So the running wisdom is that regardless of how hard one works (just for lols), a 20-25% increased chance is worth $80k? I can accept that, and probably will.

BigZuck
Posts: 10852
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Final offers. Free at UCLA vs Duke, Berkeley, NYU

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:25 pm

ajax adonis wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
katch wrote:
BigZuck wrote:You sound like you will be an insufferable gunner, enjoy law school my bro.


I don't know why you say that.... Because I didnt throw everything out and just attend UT because Texan pride?


You were trying to cite some research study, then you wanted anecdotes and it had to be restricted to numbered Ls. Just strangely argumentative. Anyway I'll stop sullying your thread with my proleish 0L nonsense.


You're a 0L giving advice on where to go to law school?


I had some of the same options as the OP this cycle (same scholarship at Duke, slightly more at UT, slightly less at UCLA). Also from Texas. Thought about all these things intensely and did a ton of research. Also capable of looking at statistics. You're right though, I don't know what a tort is so I should keep my mouth shut.

titan747
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:49 pm

Re: Final offers. Free at UCLA vs Duke, Berkeley, NYU

Postby titan747 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:34 pm

OP can always list full tuition scholarship recipient on his resume. That way they know that it was likely you got into better schools but took the money.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Final offers. Free at UCLA vs Duke, Berkeley, NYU

Postby sinfiery » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:47 pm

Duke/Berk isn't worth 80k more than UCLA but H/S are worth 120k more than Duke/Berk? Lolwut.


Also, UCLA GPA/LSAT are basically equal to UCB so any of the statistical evidence showing your higher chance to graduate closer to the top of your class at UCLA can be applied to UCB and will also result in a better outcome.

If you are debt averse, go to UCLA. Otherwise, Duke/UCB is tcr imo.*




* - 0L with no knowledge of wtf a tort is

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Final offers. Free at UCLA vs Duke, Berkeley, NYU

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:49 pm

sinfiery wrote:

Also, UCLA GPA/LSAT are basically equal to UCB so any of the statistical evidence showing your higher chance to graduate closer to the top of your class at UCLA can be applied to UCB and will also result in a better outcome.


The medians might be similar but the overall distribution is probably very different.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Final offers. Free at UCLA vs Duke, Berkeley, NYU

Postby Bronck » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:51 pm

katch wrote:
Bronck wrote:
katch wrote:but are numbers no reflection of potential within the class? They gave me a full ride so shouldnt that mean I'm positioned to do comparatively well? (I'll spare you the "I'm going to work harder than anybody ever!" spiel.)


No. You aren't a special snowflake. You have no idea how you will perform prior to entering law school.


But I thought everyone said LSAT scores were a strong indicator of class performance? ie. the LSAT range mirrors class rank?


170 is still within the margin of error of UCLA's median...

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Final offers. Free at UCLA vs Duke, Berkeley, NYU

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 02, 2013 2:52 pm

titan747 wrote:OP can always list full tuition scholarship recipient on his resume. That way they know that it was likely you got into better schools but took the money.


I'm curious about this. I'll be at CLS in the fall, and my award is just called "Law School Grant"... If I'd gone to NYU, then it would have been called "Dean's Scholarship"... I was just thinking $ is $ and CLS ended up giving a tad more, but I guess I fucked myself in that department since its not a true scholarship.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Final offers. Free at UCLA vs Duke, Berkeley, NYU

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu May 02, 2013 3:01 pm

I definitely think 80k is worth it for Berkeley or Duke when you're moving from 60 to 140k and you're gunning for clerkship + biglaw.

Berkeley: biglaw + clerkship = 61%
Duke: biglaw + clerkship = 63%
UCLA: biglaw + clerkship = 39%

I'd pay $80k for an over 50% increase in chances.

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Final offers. Free at UCLA vs Duke, Berkeley, NYU

Postby nickb285 » Thu May 02, 2013 3:02 pm


Boggs
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:57 pm

Re: Final offers. Free at UCLA vs Duke, Berkeley, NYU

Postby Boggs » Thu May 02, 2013 3:25 pm

katch wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
katch wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

Why yes you getting the correct answer on two more logic game questions will undoubtedly prepare you for applying law to fact.


lol Im just quoting what im told!! is it not true? Does the research not in fact show a strong relationship between LSAT and class rank?


Define "strong." Then reexamine the research findings and report back to us.

Common sense would dictate that Ruxin hit the nail on the head in patented pithy, sarcastic Ruxin fashion.


Do we have some non-0Ls that would care to provide anecdotes?


I don't really know many people's lsats or grades (nobody talks about it), but out of the people I know, there is absolutely no evidence for lsat correlating to class rank.

PM me if you want more specifics about this topic or something else re: Berkeley.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, chargers21, jarico, Lawl_Schoolz, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests