Berkeley vs Duke Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Real Madrid
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 12:21 am

Re: Berkeley vs Duke Law

Postby Real Madrid » Wed May 01, 2013 1:15 pm

cwid1391 wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:
sinfiery wrote:Ignorance =/= stupid bro


I should have clarified. People from the south are ignorant AND stupid.


I guarantee you the average person in New York state or California does not know how prestigious the University of Chicago is. Lawyers in the South know how prestigious various schools are and big firms in the South care just as much about getting grads from top schools as New York firms.

So what's your point, that people from the South are dumb? You're basing this on the fact that the average person might not recognize the prestigiousness of a school?


I'm basing that on having lived in the south for 22 years. Thanks for playing.

User avatar
cwid1391
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: Berkeley vs Duke Law

Postby cwid1391 » Wed May 01, 2013 1:18 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
cwid1391 wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:
sinfiery wrote:Ignorance =/= stupid bro


I should have clarified. People from the south are ignorant AND stupid.


I guarantee you the average person in New York state or California does not know how prestigious the University of Chicago is. Lawyers in the South know how prestigious various schools are and big firms in the South care just as much about getting grads from top schools as New York firms.

So what's your point, that people from the South are dumb? You're basing this on the fact that the average person might not recognize the prestigiousness of a school?


I'm basing that on having lived in the south for 22 years. Thanks for playing.


Having the exact same credentials, I think you just need to get out more. Regular people are pretty much the same everywhere, ours just happen to be more vociferous.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Berkeley vs Duke Law

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 02, 2013 2:09 pm

cwid1391 wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:
cwid1391 wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:
I should have clarified. People from the south are ignorant AND stupid.


I guarantee you the average person in New York state or California does not know how prestigious the University of Chicago is. Lawyers in the South know how prestigious various schools are and big firms in the South care just as much about getting grads from top schools as New York firms.

So what's your point, that people from the South are dumb? You're basing this on the fact that the average person might not recognize the prestigiousness of a school?


I'm basing that on having lived in the south for 22 years. Thanks for playing.


Having the exact same credentials, I think you just need to get out more. Regular people are pretty much the same everywhere, ours just happen to be more vociferous.


I think the original point was that certain southern communities will view a Duke degree as the height of prestige, on par with a Harvard degree, since its the local heavyweight and carries an aristocratic connotation. Chicago would not inspire such sentiments, even if USNWR ranks it higher. It's unfair to say this indicates stupidity, or even ignorance, on the part of those communities. It just means they cultivate certain values, maintain emotional ties to particular institutions and that they operate on trusted networks, as all of us do.

That's not to say there aren't other non-law related reasons why someone might have a legitimate issue with dixie and the cotton states. I just don't think relative appreciation of top universities is a good example.

fallingup
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Berkeley vs Duke Law

Postby fallingup » Thu May 02, 2013 2:20 pm

As another longtime resident of the South, I agree the Duke name carries more weight here and we shouldn't discount that. However, I disagree that the Berkeley name carries less weight here - as someone who also lived for a long time in the Bay Area, I've noticed that the Berkeley name is actually MORE prestigious here in the South than it was in California. I would probably say the public rating of both schools is equal in the South. However the problem is that the regional universities here get over-rated (Alabama, UNC, etc.) so while Duke and Berkeley are viewed as elite compared to these lesser schools, that difference is slightly underrated by the public here.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: neptunian and 3 guests