UF versus Nova

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
T4Rockstar

UF versus Nova

Postby T4Rockstar » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:30 pm

Assuming you are not looking for federal/big law... what is the difference in employment rates?

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?r=fl

clone22

Re: UF versus Nova

Postby clone22 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:34 pm

If you have a job lined up for after graduation, then there won't be any difference.

Otherwise, your employment chances (of getting any legally-related job) are a lot higher coming out of UF than NSU. For example, UF has an OCI in August. Nova has OCI for the Law Review members in August/september, and then an OCI for the rest of the school in January/February.

If you have a choice between the two, UF is where you want to go.

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:36 pm

FLAME?

the diff in employment rates if you take out federal(clerkships?)/big law would be mid-law and small/shit law lol. I'm sure you can subtract.

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:36 pm

clone22 wrote:If you have a job lined up for after graduation, then there won't be any difference.

Otherwise, your employment chances (of getting any legally-related job) are a lot higher coming out of UF than NSU. For example, UF has an OCI in August. Nova has OCI for the Law Review members in August/september, and then an OCI for the rest of the school in January/February.

ditto

T4Rockstar

Postby T4Rockstar » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:37 pm

clone22 wrote:If you have a job lined up for after graduation, then there won't be any difference.

I don't have the choice. Just trying to justify a bad decision. Lol. My biggest concern is the red unemployment category. If you factor in UF hiring their own students, there doesn't seem to be much difference in unemployment. UF's numbers in the bigger firms is slightly higher. Other than that they seem pretty comparable.

T4Rockstar

Postby T4Rockstar » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:39 pm

I am not sure what OCl is... I'm guessing it's like career day at law school. Does that mean Nova throws most of its students under the bus?

T4Rockstar

Postby T4Rockstar » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:43 pm

usfvictor wrote:FLAME?

the diff in employment rates if you take out federal(clerkships?)/big law would be mid-law and small/shit law lol. I'm sure you can subtract.

I don't know what that means. They have the same numbers for employment, but the distribution over the size of the firms is slightly different. Nova also seems to be the only t4 I've seen with that many numbers in the public service and larger firm categories.

empyreanrrv

Postby empyreanrrv » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:57 pm

There is a 16% difference (Nova: 28%, UF: 12%) in 2-10 person firms. These are generally considered to be bad outcomes in that the pay is poor and they sometimes represent resent grads coming together to form their own practices (which rarely succeed.) Other than that, UF places better in government, public interest, biglaw and clerkships.

T4Rockstar

Postby T4Rockstar » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:01 pm

empyreanrrv wrote:There is a 16% difference (Nova: 28%, UF: 12%) in 2-10 person firms. These are generally considered to be bad outcomes in that the pay is poor and they sometimes represent resent grads coming together to form their own practices (which rarely succeed.) Other than that, UF places better in government, public interest, biglaw and clerkships.

Yea... I figured the 2-10 is start-ups. Another school I was talking to mentioned how some students did that. If we can get all this information... they should really show some salary data. It's very hard to distinguish what is what.

Honestly... I just want a job. Any job. Nova is paid for by the folks and I can start this year. UF, I would have to up my LSAT by quite a few points. Some people were talking about this with me on a different thread. I apologize if I am being redundant. I just thought that NOVA looked like a better option than the other tier 4 schools I had discussed on the other thread.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:55 pm

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:42 pm

Nova is also almost TWICE the price of UF.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:02 pm

T4Rockstar wrote:I am not sure what OCl is... I'm guessing it's like career day at law school. Does that mean Nova throws most of its students under the bus?

On. Campus. INTERVIEWS.

I.e. employers come to you instead of the other way around.

Also, don't go to either of these schools if at all possible. Retake and only go to UF if you get a full ride with no stips. HTH.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:05 pm

ITT: OP asks question, posts answer.

also @cahwc12 love the .gif

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:37 pm

I go to Nova Undergrad. AVOIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD. RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN LIKEEEEEEEEEEEEE THEEEEEEEEEEEEEE PLAAUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I want to try to get into UF law and i am a dual admit into NSU's law school not even contingent on my LSAT, I dont consider that seat held for me to be of any significant value.

I just hate NSU campus. Ask me anything about the campus though

T4Rockstar

Postby T4Rockstar » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:41 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:I go to Nova Undergrad. AVOIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD. RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN LIKEEEEEEEEEEEEE THEEEEEEEEEEEEEE PLAAUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I want to try to get into UF law and i am a dual admit into NSU's law school not even contingent on my LSAT, I dont consider that seat held for me to be of any significant value.

Why do you hate the campus? I always thought it was nice. Of course, I was looking at it from the Falcon Pub across the street. Lol.

T4Rockstar

Postby T4Rockstar » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:43 pm

I would really like to transfer to UM.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:05 pm

T4Rockstar wrote:
itachiuchiha wrote:I go to Nova Undergrad. AVOIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD. RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN LIKEEEEEEEEEEEEE THEEEEEEEEEEEEEE PLAAUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Why do you hate the campus? I always thought it was nice. Of course, I was looking at it from the Falcon Pub across the street. Lol.

I hate the people here. All drive nice cars, don't give a crap about nothing. Stuck up and snobby. All the law school students act like they are ALL going to get jobs at the end of their education. I spit on Nova.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”