UC Davis ($$) vs. Boston College ($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UC Davis v. BC Law

UC Davis
13%
Boston College
88%

Total votes: 16

hikari07

UC Davis ($$) vs. Boston College ($)

Postby hikari07 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:53 pm

Have it narrowed down to these two schools.

- Other acceptances: Emory, W&M, UCI, BLS, Hastings
- W/L: Cornell, GW, UW, Notre Dame.
- 3.5/165 (1x)
(I would really appreciate advice that focuses on the question, not simply on retaking, which seems to be a major trend here)
- UC Davis 30k vs BC 22k
- Will be financing difference through loans for the most part.

Career Goals:
Having a diverse linguistic skill-set (5 languages) and lots of international work experience, ideally I'd like to be involved in a practice area that deals with international commerce, trade, or intellectual property. In particular, I’ve always been drawn to practices involving commercial and trade laws in the East Asian Market.
Determining where I am best positioned to find opportunities in this field is probably the most important factor in choosing where to attend law school.

Thoughts so far:
What I am hearing so far is that I would be better situated to attend schools situated in metropolitan areas that have robust activity in this field—most notably Washington D.C, Boston and New York in the East, and Los Angeles and the Bay Area in the West.

Because of this, I am leaning more towards BC because the opportunities that I am interested in seem, at least on the surface, to be more readily accessible there. However, having lived in cali most of my life, I have a strong desire remain (and practice) in California (especially in the bay area), and I know that UCD has an excellent reputation.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by hikari07 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Micdiddy

Re: UC Davis ($$) vs. Boston College ($)

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:06 pm

LSAT/GPA?

Eta: now that you've edited OP, definitely you should retake. We have the same gpa, look at my cycle for reference and lawschoolnumbers.
How much studying did you originally do? Chances are not enough, and 165 is a good sign that improvement is very possible.
Last edited by Micdiddy on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:12 pm

Having a diverse linguistic skill-set (5 languages) and lots of international work experience, ideally I'd like to be involved in a practice area that deals with international commerce, trade, or intellectual property. In particular, I’ve always been drawn to practices involving commercial and trade laws in the East Asian Market.
Determining where I am best positioned to find opportunities in this field is probably the most important factor in choosing where to attend law school.

None of those are available from Davis and probably not BC.

Retake, or don't go to LS.

Informative

Postby Informative » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:43 pm

Big Dog wrote:

None of those are available from Davis and probably not BC.

Retake, or don't go to LS.

Those are most definitely available at any large law firm. The OP will want good grades and a school that maximizes his chances at getting a big law position. The OP should focus on going to one of the top 25-30 schools that place well into large law firms. BC is one of those top schools.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 0329154207

dawyzest1

Postby dawyzest1 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:48 pm

I know this is what you don't want to hear, but it's true. You don't have a set of schools in front of you that will in all likelihood help you get your desired career path. BC places strongly in Boston with Boston ties and Davis' biglaw/A3 placement is very weak (11%). As was just stated, what you want would be available in a good number of big law firms.

My advice-be-damned choice would be BC, but you're taking a massive risk.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:43 pm

When I clicked on the thread and say the whole "Don't tell me to retake" thing in bold I was tempted to simply write "Retake" because I knew that would be the right answer. However, I did the non-snarky thing and read the whole thread. After doing so I realized there was only one sensible course of action if the OP wants a shot to realize their career goals:

Retake

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:45 pm

I agree that BC beats UC-D here but before you pull the trigger, do you understand that your career goals are very lofty and likely not accessible from either of these schools? BC gives you 2.5 times the chance but it is still, at most, 25-30%, and that is an overstatement because not all big firms do the type of work you want. Your language skills should help you out if you get decent grades, ideally top third. If you are below median at BC, do not expect language skills to save you, though. Others are right that the best thing to do is to retake to increase your chances at 1) the type of job you want and 2) repaying the debt you plan to incur (you're looking at $150,000 in debt and when 35% of BC's class gets no legal job at all and the 50th percentile salary for c/o 2011 was around $50,000, I'd be seriously pooping my pants if I were you).

Meepo

Postby Meepo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:05 am

BC

Return to “Choosing a Law School”