St. John's Law (Full Ride) vs. Brooklyn Law ($41K) + anxiety

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

STJ (Full Ride) vs. BLS ($41K)

STJ (Full Ride)
55%
BLS ($41K)
45%

Total votes: 20

Gavel_holder

St. John's Law (Full Ride) vs. Brooklyn Law ($41K) + anxiety

Postby Gavel_holder » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:24 pm

Hi guys. I've been accepted to a handful of law schools (mostly T2-3 in New York). My GPA is 3.68, LSAT 161. Right now, I'm stuck deciding between Brooklyn Law School and St. John's Law. I know that there are a couple of nearly-identical threads here discussing the same choice, but my situation and considerations are slightly different than the other posters, so I was wondering if anyone has any additional insight:

Brooklyn Law School- Offered me the Carswell Scholarship, which is $41K, requires top 80% class rank to keep it in full. Tuition would be frozen for me and would wind up costing ~$9K a year.
BLS Pros: I've always wanted to attend Brooklyn. It is a better location, has better scholarship stipulations, and has a greater variety of programs and clinics.
BLS Cons: Will cost ~$9K per year, Brooklyn is generally more expensive than Queens. I also do not know anyone who will be attending school there, which will exacerbate my social anxiety.

St. John's University School of Law: Offered me the St. Thomas Moore Scholarship, which covers the full cost of tuition. I would need to stay within the top 40% of my class. At St. John's they have a "sliding scholarship" which means that my scholarship doesn't completely disappear if I fall out of the top 40% of my class, but gradually is reduced depending on my class rank.
STJ Pros: I enjoyed visiting this school more than any of the other schools I visited. Here, I have a full ride and I have several close friends attending the school
STJ Cons: Smaller program selection, strict scholarship stipulations, less convenient location

I have a deal worked out with my family that I will only be paying for a third of my legal education, including living expenses. Basically, I would be able to walk out of law school with zero debt either way, although I would be about $27K ahead if I attend St. John's and keep my full scholarship. I know that neither of these two schools will give me a good shot at graduating and getting a six-figure salary, unless I graduate at the top of my class.

A big factor that I am considering is that I have several close friends who will be attending St. John's. I know that the immediate reaction from this board will be to dismiss that as a reason for attending a particular law school, but I suffer from social anxiety. The fact that I would be walking into a school where I am close friends with a handful of people really makes me feel better about my situation. I will also know some upperclassmen at St. John's who I went to undergrad with. My social anxiety is not so unmanageable that I wouldn't be able to make friends and connections at either school, but St. John's would be a lower-pressure situation, at least as far as social anxiety goes.

What I am trying to do is figure out if the social anxiety I will be dealing with in Brooklyn will be more difficult to handle than the academic-related anxiety that I will be dealing with at St. John's. I understand that Brooklyn is generally considered a better school, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the idea paying to attend a school that I know will be difficult for me to adjust to socially, when I have the option of going to another school for free, without the social pressure.

If anyone has any advice on this, especially anybody who has experience dealing with social anxiety, or has any knowledge on what it is like attending law school with friends, I would really appreciate the help. Plus, if anyone has any insight as to what it is like attending either one of these schools, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Last edited by Gavel_holder on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bananapeanutbutter

Re: St. John's Law (Full Ride) vs. Brooklyn Law ($41K) + anxiety

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:35 pm

I wouldn't factor into the social anxiety too much unless it will influence your ability to study and perform.

I would do the full ride, and drop out if you don't stay in the top 40%. The whole bet on class rank thing is dumb, because it doesn't mean you're a good student or not a good student just because you're bottom half or top 10%. Odds are both are equally good students, and contribute just as much to the classroom. Just keep that in mind.

Gavel_holder

Postby Gavel_holder » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:40 pm

I agree, it seems that the ranking system makes little sense and that there is not very much separating a student at the top of the class versus the bottom. Thanks for the response!

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:45 pm

Gavel_holder wrote:I know that neither of these two schools will give me a good shot at graduating and getting a six-figure salary, a legal job

Fixed that for ya

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=brooklyn
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=stjohns

empyreanrrv

Postby empyreanrrv » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:51 pm

You should make a poll, but I am voting for St. Johns. Seems like you want to go there, it is cheaper, and employment data isn't that much worse than BLS.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:55 pm

Gavel_holder wrote:Hi guys. I've been accepted to a handful of law schools (mostly T2-3 in New York). My GPA is 3.68, LSAT 161. Right now, I'm stuck deciding between Brooklyn Law School and St. John's Law. I know that there are a couple of nearly-identical threads here discussing the same choice, but my situation and considerations are slightly different than the other posters, so I was wondering if anyone has any additional insight:

Brooklyn Law School- Offered me the Carswell Scholarship, which is $41K, requires top 80% class rank to keep it in full. Tuition would be frozen for me and would wind up costing ~$9K a year.
BLS Pros: I've always wanted to attend Brooklyn. It is a better location, has better scholarship stipulations, and has a greater variety of programs and clinics.
BLS Cons: Will cost ~$9K per year, Brooklyn is generally more expensive than Queens. I also do not know anyone who will be attending school there, which will exacerbate my social anxiety.

St. John's University School of Law: Offered me the St. Thomas Moore Scholarship, which covers the full cost of tuition. I would need to stay within the top 40% of my class. At St. John's they have a "sliding scholarship" which means that my scholarship doesn't completely disappear if I fall out of the top 40% of my class, but gradually is reduced depending on my class rank.
STJ Pros: I enjoyed visiting this school more than any of the other schools I visited. Here, I have a full ride and I have several close friends attending the school
STJ Cons: Smaller program selection, strict scholarship stipulations, less convenient location

I have a deal worked out with my family that I will only be paying for a third of my legal education, including living expenses. Basically, I would be able to walk out of law school with zero debt either way, although I would be about $27K ahead if I attend St. John's and keep my full scholarship. I know that neither of these two schools will give me a good shot at graduating and getting a six-figure salary, unless I graduate at the top of my class.

A big factor that I am considering is that I have several close friends who will be attending St. John's. I know that the immediate reaction from this board will be to dismiss that as a reason for attending a particular law school, but I suffer from social anxiety. The fact that I would be walking into a school where I am close friends with a handful of people really makes me feel better about my situation. I will also know some upperclassmen at St. John's who I went to undergrad with. My social anxiety is not so unmanageable that I wouldn't be able to make friends and connections at either school, but St. John's would be a lower-pressure situation, at least as far as social anxiety goes.

What I am trying to do is figure out if the social anxiety I will be dealing with in Brooklyn will be more difficult to handle than the academic-related anxiety that I will be dealing with at St. John's. I understand that Brooklyn is generally considered a better school, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the idea paying to attend a school that I know will be difficult for me to adjust to socially, when I have the option of going to another school for free, without the social pressure.

If anyone has any advice on this, especially anybody who has experience dealing with social anxiety, or has any knowledge on what it is like attending law school with friends, I would really appreciate the help. Plus, if anyone has any insight as to what it is like attending either one of these schools, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

I have no experience with social anxiety but I am a practicing lawyer in NY and am familiar with both schools.

For starters, BLS > SJU out of the gate. Not much better (both are terrible options), but BLS is definitely a step up on SJU. The location is also significantly better (area around SJU is a dump and there is nothing to do). Job outcomes (completely anecdotal) appear slightly better out of BLS than SJU – but frankly, job outcomes at both schools are fairly pitiful. Reputation as between each in New York is pretty comparable.

Where you might want to focus your decision is the grade-stipulation. Top 80% v. Top 40% is a really big difference and frankly, a lot of people (i.e. section stacking), lose their scholarships at SJU. That is a huge consideration. Top 80% is extremely manageable – and if you aren’t in the top 80%, you never belonged in LS in the first place.

Just some thoughts. Good luck…

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:09 pm

reasonable_man wrote:I have no experience with social anxiety but I am a practicing lawyer in NY and am familiar with both schools.

For starters, BLS > SJU out of the gate. Not much better (both are terrible options), but BLS is definitely a step up on SJU. The location is also significantly better (area around SJU is a dump and there is nothing to do). Job outcomes (completely anecdotal) appear slightly better out of BLS than SJU – but frankly, job outcomes at both schools are fairly pitiful. Reputation as between each in New York is pretty comparable.

Where you might want to focus your decision is the grade-stipulation. Top 80% v. Top 40% is a really big difference and frankly, a lot of people (i.e. section stacking), lose their scholarships at SJU. That is a huge consideration. Top 80% is extremely manageable – and if you aren’t in the top 80%, you never belonged in LS in the first place.

I completely agree regarding the stipulations....I think that is the only important thing that OP identified in his OP (sorry, I also have social anxiety but you will have 100x worse anxiety worrying about losing your scholarship, and it is something you will need to conquer for your career anyway). I think it is dangerous to tell yourself you will drop out if you don't hit top 40% bc many cognitive biases, along with social pressure, will encourage you to not drop out when the time comes. We should see much higher attrition after the first year than we do since students now have information (grades) that help them predict their likely outcome much more accurately. We should have seen a significant portion of the 44% of the c/o 2012 who did not get a FT/L legal job drop out. But these cognitive biases and the social pressure discourage dropping out.

reasonable man, I defer to your empirical experience on this, but looking at the numbers it seems that Brooklyn and SJU grads get hired at nearly the same rates...overall legal employment (a little less than half for both) and big law + clerkships (around 10% for both). Is this one of those things where one is perceived to be more prestigious but it doesn't really place better?

All of these NY area T2/3/4 were hit very hard by the recession. My observation in hiring is that as positions dried up and employers had more choice about who to hire, they chose to hire T14 grads and cut out the Bklyn/SJU/Hofstra/Cardozo/NYLS, etc grads that they used to hire. If you look at associates hired pre-2008, you see that firms typically picked up a coupe fro each of these schools. Now you see many less.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:31 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:I have no experience with social anxiety but I am a practicing lawyer in NY and am familiar with both schools.

I completely agree regarding the stipulations....I think that is the only important thing that OP identified in his OP (sorry, I also have social anxiety but you will have 100x worse anxiety worrying about losing your scholarship, and it is something you will need to conquer for your career anyway). I think it is dangerous to tell yourself you will drop out if you don't hit top 40% bc many cognitive biases, along with social pressure, will encourage you to not drop out when the time comes. We should see much higher attrition after the first year than we do since students now have information (grades) that help them predict their likely outcome much more accurately. We should have seen a significant portion of the 44% of the c/o 2012 who did not get a FT/L legal job drop out. But these cognitive biases and the social pressure discourage dropping out.

reasonable man, I defer to your empirical experience on this, but looking at the numbers it seems that Brooklyn and SJU grads get hired at nearly the same rates...overall legal employment (a little less than half for both) and big law + clerkships (around 10% for both). Is this one of those things where one is perceived to be more prestigious but it doesn't really place better?

All of these NY area T2/3/4 were hit very hard by the recession. My observation in hiring is that as positions dried up and employers had more choice about who to hire, they chose to hire T14 grads and cut out the Bklyn/SJU/Hofstra/Cardozo/NYLS, etc grads that they used to hire. If you look at associates hired pre-2008, you see that firms typically picked up a coupe fro each of these schools. Now you see many less.

I think your assessment as to what happened to those schools (SJU, Hofstra, BLS, Dozo, etc) is pretty much spot on. That said, these schools (like so many others), were chronically inflating employment outcomes for years. So the “crash” in employment data as it were is something of a combination of an adjustment based upon less ability to fudge the numbers in the current post-LST environment together with a real drop off in hiring at these schools once employers had more of a choice in the matter.

I do think that some of the perceived prestige difference between the two is false. These schools are damn near identical in quality. However, while the percentage employed is the same, I think that BLS has a small (read: very small), advantage in the quality of employment obtained by its graduating class. Meaning, I think that while both schools are having a great deal of time placing people in biglaw (which has always been the case), BLS might be able to place just a handful more in midlaw than SJU. Again, this is purely anecdotal and based upon my subjective view of the NY legal community. Further, this should not be read as an endorsement of BLS – as I think BLS is a very risky investment (at best).

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:42 pm

Any ranking difference is negligible. The reputation of these 2 is identical. I also disagree about Brooklyn having a higher quality of life. That part of Brooklyn is absolutely gross, and dangerous at night. St. John's is more residential. If you don't have a car, Brooklyn is much better. However, to say the neighborhood is a dump just isn't accurate. There is a large suburban population of working class, largely Muslim individuals close by and because of the religious influence there isn't a lot of crime, or what not. By Brooklyn, there are literally drug deals on the street, but there is an Arby's so I guess the equities balance out.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:47 pm

bananapeanutbutter wrote:Any ranking difference is negligible. The reputation of these 2 is identical. I also disagree about Brooklyn having a higher quality of life. That part of Brooklyn is absolutely gross, and dangerous at night. St. John's is more residential. If you don't have a car, Brooklyn is much better. However, to say the neighborhood is a dump just isn't accurate. There is a large suburban population of working class, largely Muslim individuals close by and because of the religious influence there isn't a lot of crime, or what not. By Brooklyn, there are literally drug deals on the street, but there is an Arby's so I guess the equities balance out.

Are you talking about the same BLS located in Brooklyn Heights that is about 2 blocks from one of the most expensive neighborhoods in NYC, located next to every major train line in the City of New York? Are you also talking about the same SJU that is equally close to a very unsafe area - Jamaica Queens?

The reputation of the two schools is largely identical. As I said, BLS gets a slight (VERY slight) bump in my book - but thats about it. The key factor for op remains the stipulation on the money - which is dramatically more reasonable at BLS than it is at SJU...

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:30 pm

Brooklyn. It's worth taking on the minimal (~27K) debt to get the less onerous scholarship stip (which is huge) and whatever tiny advantage BLS may have in hiring (per reasonable man).

I'd also be concerned that St. John's, being in the wilds of Queens, could slip further into irrelevancy, whereas Brooklyn could benefit from the Brooklyn Renaissance that is going on.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:17 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
bananapeanutbutter wrote:Any ranking difference is negligible. The reputation of these 2 is identical. I also disagree about Brooklyn having a higher quality of life. That part of Brooklyn is absolutely gross, and dangerous at night. St. John's is more residential. If you don't have a car, Brooklyn is much better. However, to say the neighborhood is a dump just isn't accurate. There is a large suburban population of working class, largely Muslim individuals close by and because of the religious influence there isn't a lot of crime, or what not. By Brooklyn, there are literally drug deals on the street, but there is an Arby's so I guess the equities balance out.

Are you talking about the same BLS located in Brooklyn Heights that is about 2 blocks from one of the most expensive neighborhoods in NYC, located next to every major train line in the City of New York? Are you also talking about the same SJU that is equally close to a very unsafe area - Jamaica Queens?

BLS is more Downtown Brooklyn than Brooklyn Heights. Can't really speak to how dangerous that exact block is, but neighborhoods do change quickly in NYC. The St. John's neighborhood is a complete abomination but I've been there at all times of day (including late at night) at it seems completely safe. Saying it's dangerous because it's "near" Jamaica is like saying Stanford is dangerous because it's "near" East Palo Alto. STJ's is actually closer to Jamaica Estates, possibly the richest neighborhood in Queens, than Jamaica.

I wouldn't go to either even with a full-ride though.

Myself

Postby Myself » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:34 pm

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheBiggerMediocre

Postby TheBiggerMediocre » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:00 pm

Where did you do undergrad?

I predict that I will be in a similar situation next year.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:04 pm

TheBiggerMediocre wrote:Where did you do undergrad?

I predict that I will be in a similar situation next year.

Study hard for the LSAT then. These are not good options.

Docreviewsux

Postby Docreviewsux » Wed May 01, 2013 11:35 am

Gavel_holder wrote:Hi guys. I've been accepted to a handful of law schools (mostly T2-3 in New York). My GPA is 3.68, LSAT 161. Right now, I'm stuck deciding between Brooklyn Law School and St. John's Law. I know that there are a couple of nearly-identical threads here discussing the same choice, but my situation and considerations are slightly different than the other posters, so I was wondering if anyone has any additional insight:

Neither

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed May 01, 2013 11:42 am

Docreviewsux wrote:

Neither

I can see you put a lot of time and thought into this response.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”