Crazy to pick UVA over NYU for $20K+?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Am I crazy to pick UVA over NYU given my situation?

Yes...go with NYU
No...UVA is fine
Total votes: 32

Crazy to pick UVA over NYU for $20K+?

Postby difficultdecision » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:02 pm

Got a $75k scholarship offer from UVA and a $62,500 offer from NYU ($75k if I do PI). With cost of living, the difference between the two schools (assuming I do PI and get $75k) is probably around $20k+. My estimated COA at UVA would be $70k because of personal savings, while it would be $90k at NYU.

I live in New York City currently and would prefer a change of pace, though New York offers tons of legal / internship opportunities. I have interests in prosecution OR real estate / community development/ tax (very broad, I know). I also want a career in PI or at a smaller law firm, and am not that intent on biglaw (unless I have to go the biglaw route in order to get to PI jobs). Longer-term, I'd like to settle in the mid-atlantic area, but probably not NYC.

Is it crazy to go with the lower debt option (though not by much) and choose UVA? NYU seems to be the better school in terms of prestige and career prospects, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money if I'm not gunning for biglaw. NYU's lrap is better in some ways (higher cap and negative amortization assistance, but it takes 3 years for any assistance to be forgiven vs. 1 year at UVA). Also, the $20k difference is a conservative estimate, given what I know about eating and entertainment in NYC.

Real Madrid

Re: Crazy to pick UVA over NYU for $20K+?

Postby Real Madrid » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:09 pm

I don't think you're crazy, but NYU is arguably better at placing in both PI (which you're apparently interested in doing) and big law. Have you visited Charlottesville? You might be up for a change of pace, but make sure you know just how big that change is likely to be.

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:10 pm

I would take NYU here. You are interested in PI, +1 for NYU. You are interested in tax, +1 for NYU. You say you want a change of pace -- but that might just be a grass is greener attitude that won't last, and you're already familiar with the city and have roots. Unless you want DC, I'd go to NYU with this scholarship difference. If you actually do wind up doing PI as you say you're interested in, then the scholly amounts are the same.

With UVA @ $120K it would be different.

Postby dixon02 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:14 pm

I would take NYU b/c I think there's just much more focus on PI and a wider network available, plus the better LRAP. But would you be crazy to take UVA if you feel strongly about it? Of course not.

Postby dawyzest1 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:19 pm

All things being equal, I don't think you'd be crazy at all for taking UVA, but since you have such a strong interest in PI/Community Development, I think NYU is the right move for you. Just being in NYC you'd have a much broader selection of opportunities to get involved with during school and NYU's reputation and connections in this area are top-notch.

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:26 pm

1) It's not crazy. You seem to not want to live in NYC for another 3 years, that's fine.
2) NYU arguably gives you a better chance to get PI after graduation, but that advantage is mitigated by the fact that you don't want to wind up in NYU.

UVA is fine. Do it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”