Last second: Michigan (near sticker) vs. OSU (full-ride) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

OSU vs. Michigan

OSU (COA: $50k)
77%
Michigan (COA: $230k)
15%
Retake/Reapply
8%

Total votes: 39

Brody

New

Last second: Michigan (near sticker) vs. OSU (full-ride)

Post by Brody » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:00 pm

Hey all,

I have a last second decision to make and, once again, would love your advice. Here's the relevant info:

I just received a full-ride (named) scholarship to Ohio State, along with a small annual living stipend. This was pretty unexpected, as the interview process was long and competitive. I am from Ohio, want to practice law in either Columbus or Cleveland, and eventually get involved in Ohio politics.

Michigan has given me a small, $5,000/year scholarship, and can not go any higher. It has long been my number one choice for law school, but the debt load I would take on absolutely terrifies me.

I am not dead set on Big Law, so I wouldn't be torn if I struck out there, but I am really interested in a clerkship. Of course, Michigan would leave me better positioned to get an A3 clerkship than OSU.

Of course, the third option would be retake/reapply. The only problem with that, though, is having to give up the OSU scholarship and possibly not winning it again in a future cycle.

Stats:
3.76/167, 166
K-JD
non-URM

Given my goals, which option makes the most sense?

Thanks for your help!

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: Last second: Michigan (near sticker) vs. OSU (full-ride)

Post by rad lulz » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:10 pm

Normally I'd say retake/reapply, but OSU isn't a bad choice given your goals

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:14 pm

rad lulz wrote:Normally I'd say retake/reapply, but OSU isn't a bad choice given your goals
Yup. Definitely OSU.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:20 pm

With local ohio politics as an end goal, albeit an oblique one, I can't imagine many schools being better for those networks than OSU. Maybe Penn, but definitely not Michigan.

dawyzest1

Bronze

Post by dawyzest1 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:25 pm

I'm voting OSU. Can a Michigan alum even be elected dog catcher in Columbus :D ?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:41 pm

Brody wrote:I am not dead set on Big Law, so I wouldn't be torn if when I struck out there ... .
FTFY. But I agree with everyone else here; OSU is a good choice (due to your regional goals).

Brody

New

Post by Brody » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:47 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
Brody wrote:I am not dead set on Big Law, so I wouldn't be torn if when I struck out there ... .
FTFY. But I agree with everyone else here; OSU is a good choice (due to your regional goals).
Thanks. You created a subjunctive disagreement in the sentence, but that's neither here nor there, right?

Anyway, thank you everyone for your input. I really appreciate it.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:48 pm

OSU is the way to go. It keeps you in OH, where, as I found out by working a Senate campaign there, the OSU name is everything, in addition to saving you $$$. Also, FWIW, 2-3 dozen current OH state legislators are Ohio State alums, which indicates even more strongly that OSU is the correct choice.

edit- scUM law will also make things difficult for you politically. I had people that didn't particularly want to speak with me because I went to Michigan State, and they aren't even on the spectrum of OSU rivals. The amount of vitriol between UM and OSU is reason enough not to go, given your goals

dawyzest1

Bronze

Post by dawyzest1 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:08 pm

Holding a named scholarship (as long as it isn't a "Dean's" Scholarship) is also a big deal at most any school. They might have special programming and the like to help you make connections, find a job, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Brody

New

Post by Brody » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:14 pm

dawyzest1 wrote:Holding a named scholarship (as long as it isn't a "Dean's" Scholarship) is also a big deal at most any school. They might have special programming and the like to help you make connections, find a job, etc.
That's right. The OSU Scholarship is the Ohio State equivalent of the Darrow, and includes a special mentoring program and networking opportunities. Generally, three to four people receive the scholarship each year.

SFSpartan, you're also very right. In Ohio politics, the OSU name is worth quite a great deal, and the alumni base in general is extremely loyal.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:27 pm

I mean...if you don't want biglaw, want to work in OH, and got nearly a full-ride from OSU, then OSU seems good here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”