George Mason Vs William&Mary {Seeking big Law}

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

George Mason Vs William&Mary {Seeking big Law}

GM
6
29%
WM
15
71%
 
Total votes: 21

BigZuck
Posts: 10859
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: George Mason Vs William&Mary {Seeking big Law}

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:06 am

Borhas wrote:If you have to pick one then go with GMU if you are VA in state. You'll save on cost of living w/ the house and all the jobs are in NoVa anyway.

Guys quit being fucking dense. He has a house there and instate tuition at GMU is 25k. He is not going to be throwing "hundreds of thousands of dollars away" Who knows maybe his trust fund will only pay for education until he is 36 or something. Your cookie cutter advice is not made for every situation.


How exactly is he going to snag big law out of George Mason?

Also if it's debt financed 75K gets awfully close to 100K when tuition increases and interest are factored in.

User avatar
Balthy
Posts: 668
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: George Mason Vs William&Mary {Seeking big Law}

Postby Balthy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:37 am

dr123 wrote:Why do you want Big Law if you're already rich?



Image

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: George Mason Vs William&Mary {Seeking big Law}

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:42 am

OP: Once you miss the biglaw boat, you're not getting on again. You get one shot at the end of your 1L year. So if the only reason you are becoming a lawyer is to do corporatey-type legal stuff and work in a tall building with nice offices, do not go to these schools. If you wouldn't want to do wills and trusts, family law or personal injury for 50K do not go to those schools.

And no, a large portion of these classes are not self-selecting out of biglaw. When we say 10%, it means that only people in the top 15% will even get a second-look from biglaw firms.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: George Mason Vs William&Mary {Seeking big Law}

Postby hephaestus » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:47 am

Wow. Just looked and saw that GMU's enrollment has been cut in half over the last two years and their median still fell. At least some people are getting the message.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4854
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: George Mason Vs William&Mary {Seeking big Law}

Postby Borhas » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:52 am

BigZuck wrote:
Borhas wrote:If you have to pick one then go with GMU if you are VA in state. You'll save on cost of living w/ the house and all the jobs are in NoVa anyway.

Guys quit being fucking dense. He has a house there and instate tuition at GMU is 25k. He is not going to be throwing "hundreds of thousands of dollars away" Who knows maybe his trust fund will only pay for education until he is 36 or something. Your cookie cutter advice is not made for every situation.


How exactly is he going to snag big law out of George Mason?

Also if it's debt financed 75K gets awfully close to 100K when tuition increases and interest are factored in.


Ok let's stop going full retard. Several people are assuming he is going to pay hundreds of thousands of dollar, which shows that they obviously havent bothered to even read the the guy's posts. A reasonable person would only have to spend 25k in his situation before knowing Big Law is 100% out.

OP:

1. currently maybe about 10-15% have could get Big Law or Fed Clerkship at either school.
2. Given your mediocre LSAT you have no reason to believe that you are any better positioned to be at the top of the class than anyone else.
3. if you cant get Big Law through OCI, drop out before 2L starts. That way you would have only spent about 25k. If you have aspirations other than Big Law then the cost analysis changes.

BigZuck
Posts: 10859
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: George Mason Vs William&Mary {Seeking big Law}

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:03 am

Borhas wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Borhas wrote:If you have to pick one then go with GMU if you are VA in state. You'll save on cost of living w/ the house and all the jobs are in NoVa anyway.

Guys quit being fucking dense. He has a house there and instate tuition at GMU is 25k. He is not going to be throwing "hundreds of thousands of dollars away" Who knows maybe his trust fund will only pay for education until he is 36 or something. Your cookie cutter advice is not made for every situation.


How exactly is he going to snag big law out of George Mason?

Also if it's debt financed 75K gets awfully close to 100K when tuition increases and interest are factored in.


Ok let's stop going full retard. Several people are assuming he is going to pay hundreds of thousands of dollar, which shows that they obviously havent bothered to even read the the guy's posts. A reasonable person would only have to spend 25k in his situation before knowing Big Law is 100% out.

OP:

1. currently maybe about 10-15% have could get Big Law or Fed Clerkship at either school.
2. Given your mediocre LSAT you have no reason to believe that you are any better positioned to be at the top of the class than anyone else.
3. if you cant get Big Law through OCI, drop out before 2L starts. That way you would have only spent about 25k. If you have aspirations other than Big Law then the cost analysis changes.


Look broseph, the dude thinks its a good idea to consider these schools when his goal is big law. Do you really think he has the self awareness and the pragmatism to drop out after 1L?

Whereever he goes he is going to pay for all three years and he will be debt financing it.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4854
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: George Mason Vs William&Mary {Seeking big Law}

Postby Borhas » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:10 am

Also, how do you know OP is lying? He may have resources that can't be easily liquified, e.g. a house or a trust fund.

If he is not self-aware enough to drop out after 1L if his only goal is Big Law then what makes you think he'll listen to people who throwing out generic advice that doesn't even address his concerns.

Look here, brobot, if you are going to give advice, give it on the basis of what the person says, don't just imagine hypothetical scenarios and completely ignore the info that you were given.

BigZuck
Posts: 10859
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: George Mason Vs William&Mary {Seeking big Law}

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:19 am

Borhas wrote:Also, how do you know OP is lying? He may have resources that can't be easily liquified, e.g. a house or a trust fund.

If he is not self-aware enough to drop out after 1L if his only goal is Big Law then what makes you think he'll listen to people who throwing out generic advice that doesn't even address his concerns.

Look here, brobot, if you are going to give advice, give it on the basis of what the person says, don't just imagine hypothetical scenarios and completely ignore the info that you were given.


BroBorhas- I edited out the lying because I don't know that for sure (although I'm pretty well convinced) but everything else still stands. These schools should not be attended if one's goal is big law. They don't give a reasonable shot at that. If he's content to work a 50K small law job then I think these schools are fine to attend.

User avatar
byronmullens
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: George Mason Vs William&Mary {Seeking big Law}

Postby byronmullens » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:15 pm

Regardless of whether its a good idea about stuff lets get our facts straight.

Borhas wrote:If you have to pick one then go with GMU if you are VA in state.


William & Mary like George Mason is a state school so in-state does not matter. Now having a house in NOVa matters. Also all the jerbs being there, true but then again you are competing with GLUC, GW etc.

Borhas wrote:1. currently maybe about 10-15% have could get Big Law or Fed Clerkship at either school.
2. Given your mediocre LSAT you have no reason to believe that you are any better positioned to be at the top of the class than anyone else.
3. if you cant get Big Law through OCI, drop out before 2L starts. That way you would have only spent about 25k. If you have aspirations other than Big Law then the cost analysis changes.


http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... ctive=true
I think there is slight difference between Mason and W&M at least accd to NLJ 250 13% to unknown amount at Mason. Big enough to be a difference, maybe not important to sway a decision but still there is a difference between the schools so if someone was deciding w/ 60% schollys it be good for them to know the difference.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lymenheimer, Socratease, SolRs and 4 guests