George Mason Vs William&Mary {Seeking big Law}

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

George Mason Vs William&Mary {Seeking big Law}

GM
29%
WM
71%

Total votes: 21

Micdiddy

Re: George Mason Vs William&Mary {Seeking big Law}

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:03 am

Asking people to choose between two awful options is just not realistic. People here take giving advice seriously, and answering your stated question comes with the implication of condoning the choice, which none of us are goin to do because both those options are awful.
If you want to throw money away at education, why not retake and get one of the best legal educations in the country at a t14?
Also, if you're just plain rich and don't care about making good life choices, choose whichever school you'll like to live in for three years, 'cause all you'll basically be doing is living and learning law, then seeking a job in whatever field you're in now after getting turned down from every law job.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:04 am

[q,
Last edited by rad lulz on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:05 am

Good luck! Do let us know how it goes!

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:10 am

Pick either then. Why ask for it when you won't be swayed by quality advice?

dr123

Postby dr123 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:10 am

Why do you want Big Law if you're already rich?

mohanster

Postby mohanster » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:17 am

dr123 wrote:Why do you want Big Law if you're already rich?

As a 0L, it seems like something that will most suit my aptitude. But again, I am open to other options as well and my opinion might very well change by the time I graduate.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:23 am

Why not do something fun if you have so much money?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:28 am

mohanster wrote:

As a 0L, it seems like something that will most suit my aptitude.

What do you mean by this? Honest question.

mohanster

Postby mohanster » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:32 am

ImNoScar wrote:
mohanster wrote:

As a 0L, it seems like something that will most suit my aptitude.

What do you mean by this? Honest question.

For starters, I not a big on public service, government service etc. I have worked for big firms and with corporate lawyers. It seems its sth that I will be comfortable doing.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:41 am

Be honest here: Are you actually rich enough that 250,000 is nothing to you, or are you trying to get an answer to which school is better in a vacuum and are trying to avoid people telling you neither school is worth it.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:43 am

Also, your personal finances are one thing, the odds of achieving this goal are another. Neither school is good for biglaw. These are not biglaw feeder schools, and no amount of money is going to change that. If you want a shot at biglaw you have to retake, period.

mohanster

Postby mohanster » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:49 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Be honest here: Are you actually rich enough that 250,000 is nothing to you, or are you trying to get an answer to which school is better in a vacuum and are trying to avoid people telling you neither school is worth it.

Guys, appreciate your concerns. But please understand I have made the decision to go to law school, only which one to choose is open to suggestions.

I don't see how my net worth should be affecting the answer, when I have clearly conveyed - I can afford both.

On a side note, I am waitlisted at UCLA, Fordham among others.

Hoping for any of the above two to materialize.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:50 am

mohanster wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:Be honest here: Are you actually rich enough that 250,000 is nothing to you, or are you trying to get an answer to which school is better in a vacuum and are trying to avoid people telling you neither school is worth it.

Guys, appreciate your concerns. But please understand I have made the decision to go to law school, only which one to choose is open to suggestions.

I don't see how my net worth should be affecting the answer, when I have clearly conveyed - I can afford both.

On a side note, I am waitlisted at UCLA, Fordham among others.

Hoping for any of the above two to materialize.

As I said.

Also, your personal finances are one thing, the odds of achieving this goal are another. Neither school is good for biglaw. These are not biglaw feeder schools, and no amount of money is going to change that. If you want a shot at biglaw you have to retake, period.

mohanster

Postby mohanster » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:56 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:As I said.

Okay, per you - the chances of Big Law are equally bad for both and I should flip a coin to decide rather than polling a question here. Thanks.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:02 am

mohanster wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:As I said.

Okay, per you - the chances of Big Law are equally bad for both and I should flip a coin to decide rather than polling a question here. Thanks.

...When you say "per you-" you're supposed to say something I said. I didn't say the odds are the equally bad. I said they both suck.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:16 am

OP, you were given the answer to your question many, many posts ago.

The fact that you are still here must indicate some part of you wants to listen to solid advice. The fact that you are waitlisted to UCLA and Fordham should give you more incentive to retake in June, get off those waitlists, and still go to school this fall.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:23 am

I do not believe the OP is rich.

I do believe the OP is a flame.

If he is real then he said he was rich to try and get you guys to stop saying retake and validate his poor choices.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:06 am

If you're that rich, spend that money on every LSAT resource you can and just spend all your time prepping for it. Get into a school at which you can actually get into biglaw at median, and then it'd be worth your time even if paying stick weren't an issue for you. Otherwise, since this money is so insignificant to you, I'd be happy to take 250k from you and then not give you a biglaw job.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:10 am

BigZuck wrote:I do not believe the OP is rich.

I do believe the OP is a flame.

If he is real then he said he was rich to try and get you guys to stop saying retake and validate his poor choices.

Agreed. The "I can afford the debt" comment was what did it for me. If he were loaded he'd be paying at least a significant portion in cash.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:15 am

OP, why did you bother making this thread if the ONLY information you want is which is better for biglaw? That information is readily accessible.

http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/

No one here is going to validate your decision, these are both bad options for biglaw, and you're throwing hundreds of grand down the toilet regardless of whether its thru debt or cash or whether you're rich or you're poor. Just look at the data and go to the one that you think is better. If you miss the boat like 80-90% of people at these schools do, well, I hope some of your rich friends can help you out because you'll likely be looking at a 40-50k job.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:45 am

OPs earlier thread indicates he is in at Fordham at sticker and has a half ride to UIUC. So which one is true OP?

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:45 am

rad lulz wrote:
mohanster wrote:Guys, appreciate your interest in helping me here. But if we could just stick to the question at hand, that'll be more useful.

I hope you would understand that I given enough thought before deciding to go to law school and will not be/should not be highly persuaded by the comments on that decision. Thanks again!

Don't ask for advice, receive good advice, then complain when you get it

If you've already given it "enough thought," just go to the one you want

I don't care what you do

This was underrated in value.

froglee

Postby froglee » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:12 am

mohanster wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
mohanster wrote:Well its still a "school"!

Why would spending a shitload of money on the education be a good idea when it won't get you where you want to be

Because:

1. Money is something I have in plenty.

I hope I have answered all your questions. Period.

What a naive answer..even people like Warren Buffet will try to save a dime.

Why don't you go to George Mason since it is a biglaw employment powerhouse.

Meepo

Postby Meepo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:22 am

NPR often interviews george mason profs

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:59 am

If you have to pick one then go with GMU if you are VA in state. You'll save on cost of living w/ the house and all the jobs are in NoVa anyway.

Guys quit being fucking dense. He has a house there and instate tuition at GMU is 25k. He is not going to be throwing "hundreds of thousands of dollars away" Who knows maybe his trust fund will only pay for education until he is 36 or something. Your cookie cutter advice is not made for every situation.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”