TT deposit fee due in 2 days, future debt panic sinking in.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Perstephanie

TT deposit fee due in 2 days, future debt panic sinking in.

Postby Perstephanie » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:50 pm

I've essentially chosen the school I want to go to, the issue is now I've read enough articles about how abysmal the law employment market is that I don't know if going is even worth it. The schools I got into are solidly second tier, and after scholarships and figuring in rent and living expenses would be around 30k a year.

I'm toying with the idea of getting some sort of paralegal certificate or something and doing that for a year or two to really get comfortable in a law office, then potentially resitting for the LSAT and reapplying, but I'm 24 going on 25 and it feels a lot like dragging my feet.

Considering I want to go into Family Law, would the debt incurred after 3 years of law school (on top of 30k of undergrad loans) make sense? I don't know if I'm over thinking it, but at this point I'm desperate for some practical advice.

Bronck

Re: TT deposit fee due in 2 days, future debt panic sinking in.

Postby Bronck » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:54 pm

90k pre-interest debt and 30k undergrad loans are WAY too much for a TT.

Don't go, retake, and reassess later.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:55 pm

You'll likely be 150k in debt at graduation and looking at a 50/50 shot at a legal job at all, and it'll probably be mid-5 figures tops if you are looking at family law. Retake and take time off. Its the only credited move here. That kind of debt for a T2 is insanity.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:01 pm

Perstephanie wrote:Considering I want to go into Family Law, would the debt incurred after 3 years of law school (on top of 30k of undergrad loans) make sense?

No. My God, no.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:11 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
Perstephanie wrote:Considering I want to go into Family Law, would the debt incurred after 3 years of law school (on top of 30k of undergrad loans) make sense?

No. My God, no.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:14 pm

I think the answer is obvious.

As to whether you will be "dragging your feet," that only applies if you're going to do nothing for 1-2 years. If you can get a better LSAT, it might be worth tens of thousands in scholly money or higher ranked schools. If you work as a paralegal in the market you want to stay in, you'll be developing connections and getting to know a bit about the practice area.

The question is whether you want to make good choices or not. In other words, don't think of it as postponing the beginning of your legal career. You're already in your legal career. You don't need to have a JD to work in law, and having a JD does not necessarily mean you will work in law.

Also 100K+ in debt is painful, trust me. There's nothing like paying 50%+ effective tax rate.

Perstephanie

Postby Perstephanie » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:54 pm

timbs4339 wrote:I think the answer is obvious.

As to whether you will be "dragging your feet," that only applies if you're going to do nothing for 1-2 years. If you can get a better LSAT, it might be worth tens of thousands in scholly money or higher ranked schools. If you work as a paralegal in the market you want to stay in, you'll be developing connections and getting to know a bit about the practice area.

The question is whether you want to make good choices or not. In other words, don't think of it as postponing the beginning of your legal career. You're already in your legal career. You don't need to have a JD to work in law, and having a JD does not necessarily mean you will work in law.

Also 100K+ in debt is painful, trust me. There's nothing like paying 50%+ effective tax rate.

Thank you, I really appreciate the input from you and everyone else. I suppose I've known what the answer would be, but it really grates on me to go through the entire admissions process then essentially feel like I'm giving up. Ugh!

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:57 pm

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=208084

Go here and click through some of the links. Maybe it'll give you some motivation to help you through at admissions process all over again. It will be worth it to forget that deposit, go for that certificate, work, retake, and reapply.

Perstephanie

Postby Perstephanie » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:27 pm

Tekrul wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=208084

Go here and click through some of the links. Maybe it'll give you some motivation to help you through at admissions process all over again. It will be worth it to forget that deposit, go for that certificate, work, retake, and reapply.

Thank you!

linquest

Postby linquest » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:27 pm

Re-take. Do you have any work experience related to family law? If not, get some before you decide this is really what you want to go into debt and 3 yrs of your life (there is no "over-thinking" this huge of a decision). 25 y/o is the average age of entering law students, so another couple years won't make a huge difference.

Not sure if you really need a paralegal certificate if you already have a Bachelors.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:57 pm

linquest wrote:Do you have any work experience related to family law? If not, get some before you decide this is really what you want to go into debt and 3 yrs of your life (there is no "over-thinking" this huge of a decision).

Really good point. I am going to a pretty big firm next year, but I've been working at a family law firm as a 3L. Don't get me wrong... I love the firm, love the people, my job is very flexible and not all that difficult, etc., but I wouldn't be able to practice family law as a lawyer. I just don't have the personality or the patience for it, and it's really not my cup of tea. It's one of the most polarizing fields out there (some love it, but most hate it).

Myself

Postby Myself » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:22 am

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

linquest

Postby linquest » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:45 am

OP- What exactly do you mean by " family law " anyway? It's a pretty broad umbrella term, and most sub-specialties don't pay very well. You'll have to do a cost-benefit analysis; don't forget likely annual tuition increases.

romothesavior wrote: I've been working at a family law firm as a 3L. Don't get me wrong... I love the firm, love the people, my job is very flexible and not all that difficult, etc., but I wouldn't be able to practice family law as a lawyer.

Do you have a sense of how much the attorneys are making? I don't know many family lawyers that work for firms, but I get the sense most top out at $80K in small firms. The only family lawyers I know making over $100K are either consistently doing high-end (millionaire) divorces and heads of public interest agencies.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:27 pm

linquest wrote:Do you have a sense of how much the attorneys are making? I don't know many family lawyers that work for firms, but I get the sense most top out at $80K in small firms. The only family lawyers I know making over $100K are either consistently doing high-end (millionaire) divorces and heads of public interest agencies.

I don't, but I imagine it is fairly solid. Maybe 60-80k to start if I were to just make a very uneducated guess? It is one of the top family practices in town, and while family law is the bulk of the firm's work, they have some other practice groups as well (there's a business department, T&Es, ID, general lit, etc.) They pay me pretty well as a law clerk and have some other law clerks on staff. I don't get the idea that they're pinched for dough. Great firm, great people, probably very reasonable starting pay... but my point is that I personally couldn't do family as a career. If OP is looking to take some time off to retake and reapply, she might consider getting into a family law firm and seeing what its all about.

dawyzest1

Postby dawyzest1 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:09 pm

Being 25 and unencumbered with kids and mortgages means you still have plenty of time to think the LS choice through and get a look at your absolute best options after a retake. One of the biggest mistakes I made was being 25 and thinking I was running out of time.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:54 pm

I was in the exact same situation as you (minus the age) and decided to go to the TT. I may be regretting it for the rest of my life. Retake, reapply, save up some money for school while you're at it, and get a feel for a law office as well as how stressful family law will be. You should under no circumstances have more than 50-60K coming out of a TT, and thats your undergrad included.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:27 am

OP this is unanimous. As hard as it is I hope you are taking this advice. Also congrats for even having the wherewithal to ask yourself these questions. .. most people have their heads buried in the sand. In addition to retaking I would suggest asking yourself what you want or of a law career (is it the intellectual simulation? Helping people? Etc) and consider what cheaper non JD ways there are to achieve that goal. .. that doesn't mean don't reapply with a new LSAT and see where the chips fall but most objectives do not require a law degree and with JDs being so ridiculously expensive, you can't afford not to think about alternate routes. You may choose the JD in the end but don't limit yourself to such an expensive unstable field from the very beginning. Ask yourself what is it about a JD that speaks to you that is totally unique? I know that I could have had s very similar job to the one I will be doing after grad straight out of college. ... no the it if college one wouldn't have involved legal work but it would've been similar hours, similar level of intellectual stimulation, somewhat lower pay but way bigger bonuses and no debt, similar lack of stability (actually the post college job was probably more stable), etc.

qwertyboard

Postby qwertyboard » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:56 pm

Perstephanie wrote:I've essentially chosen the school I want to go to, the issue is now I've read enough articles about how abysmal the law employment market is that I don't know if going is even worth it. The schools I got into are solidly second tier, and after scholarships and figuring in rent and living expenses would be around 30k a year.

I'm toying with the idea of getting some sort of paralegal certificate or something and doing that for a year or two to really get comfortable in a law office, then potentially resitting for the LSAT and reapplying, but I'm 24 going on 25 and it feels a lot like dragging my feet.

Considering I want to go into Family Law, would the debt incurred after 3 years of law school (on top of 30k of undergrad loans) make sense? I don't know if I'm over thinking it, but at this point I'm desperate for some practical advice.

You're still young and will be the next 2 two years.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”