Can Delete Thread

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sweetfrenchtoast

Can Delete Thread

Postby sweetfrenchtoast » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:41 am

Closed.
Last edited by sweetfrenchtoast on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

K Rock

Re: Penn v Berkeley v NYU

Postby K Rock » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:43 am

sweetfrenchtoast wrote:Born and bred in NY

Could you live with family if you went to NYU?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:46 am

You don't like someone who knows themselves well enough to commit to law school.

sweetfrenchtoast

Postby sweetfrenchtoast » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:52 am

K Rock wrote:

It's a 1-hour commute. Not the end of the world but I hear that a commute of such length is not a great idea (at least during the first year). So I probably wouldn't (again, at least during the first year). I figure the extra two hours of studying or just being a real person will be better for my GPA than the amount of money I could save.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:56 am

sweetfrenchtoast wrote:
K Rock wrote:

It's a 1-hour commute. Not the end of the world but I hear that a commute of such length is not a great idea (at least during the first year). So I probably wouldn't (again, at least during the first year). I figure the extra two hours of studying or just being a real person will be better for my GPA than the amount of money I could save.

You could really improve your COA situation for year 2 and 3 though, which is nothing to sneeze at. It's not only money you wouldn't have to borrow, it's money you wouldn't have to pay an origination fee or interest on.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:57 am

If you think you can improve, retaking isn't a bad idea. With the options that are on the table you are going to have close to 200k in debt when it's all over. Penn has the best placement numbers to service said debt.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:57 am

If you're cool with NYC biglaw, Penn is the way to go.

Berkeley only really tops Penn if you want to settle in the west coast after law school.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:03 am

Doorkeeper wrote:If you're cool with NYC biglaw, Penn is the way to go.

Berkeley only really tops Penn if you want to settle in the west coast after law school.

This. Unless OP suddenly decides he hates NYC and never wants to live there, I think Penn is the clear choice here.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:13 am

Retake or Penn

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:18 pm

With a 3.92/166, you should absolutely retake. With just a few more points, you're likely in at H with shots at Y and S, and you should see serious money (possible full rides) from some other T13s.

Why do you think you were able to outperform your numbers this cycle?

sweetfrenchtoast

Postby sweetfrenchtoast » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:40 pm

Ti Malice wrote:With a 3.92/166, you should absolutely retake. With just a few more points, you're likely in at H with shots at Y and S, and you should see serious money (possible full rides) from some other T13s.

Why do you think you were able to outperform your numbers this cycle?

I've worked in higher ed for quite some time now and feel I have a very good idea of what admissions offices are looking for. My application and the story I told was extremely coherent. I think it comes down to that. I knew that my numbers, no matter how awful, would at least get my application looked at. And I knew that once someone read my application...they'd like what they were reading. Might sound cocky but it's my only explanation.

I didn't apply to many schools (believe it or not, I got into the majority of the schools I applied to...and that would be the three above) because I didn't think I had much of a chance at schools I'd actually attend given my numbers (but I was very confident in my application). I DO think I could do a little better on the LSAT but starting that whole process over again sounds HORRIBLE. Horrible enough to just start focusing on the victories I've already had and moving on to bigger, better, and even more horrible tests ;). That's not to say that I have entirely ruled out retaking...but...well...ugh.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:36 pm

I'm just flexible and, above all, want to get out of LS debt.

Retake.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:05 pm

I've worked in higher ed for quite some time now and feel I have a very good idea of what admissions offices are looking for. My application and the story I told was extremely coherent. I think it comes down to that. I knew that my numbers, no matter how awful, would at least get my application looked at. And I knew that once someone read my application...they'd like what they were reading. Might sound cocky but it's my only explanation.

Or, my guess is your LSAT was mediocre but you had a good GPA and are a reverse splitter. This cycle has been pretty good to reverse splitters. I doubt you have such significant soft factors to overperform your numbers no matter how well your app was put together.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:59 am

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:32 am

Retake and figure out why you want to go and what you want to do.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:01 am

worldtraveler wrote:Retake and figure out why you want to go and what you want to do.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:07 am

rad lulz wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:Retake and figure out why you want to go and what you want to do.

^This. The LSAT is a very learnable test. It is worth the time and effort to get a 170+, which you should be capable of doing. The added benefit of waiting a year to retake is that you don't rush into law school. Law school might not end up being for you, and it would be for the best to figure that out before actually sinking money into it. And even if law school does end up being the right call, it's good to have some sort of idea of what you want to do and where you want to be before starting.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”