PLEASE HELP!! Northwestern vs. UHouston

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you choose in my position?

University of Houston with $0 debt
58
66%
Northwestern University with ~$230,000 debt
30
34%
 
Total votes: 88

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Northwestern vs. UHouston

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:If you're set on Houston biglaw, neither of those options is fantastic, though UH is significantly more attractive than NU, IMO. Which is why I asked about your GPA/LSAT numbers. There are likely decisions that you could make not involving matriculating at one of those two options which might be better off in the long run.


With Houston ties NW is more than fine for Houston big law.

You'd seriously recommend NW at sticker over UH for free?


I wouldn't go to UH for Free no matter what, but I don't wanna work shitlaw.


The debt is killer though. I'm not sure I'd do either. 260k is a fuckton of money.

User avatar
SWEDE LAW
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Northwestern vs. UHouston

Postby SWEDE LAW » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:53 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:If you're set on Houston biglaw, neither of those options is fantastic, though UH is significantly more attractive than NU, IMO. Which is why I asked about your GPA/LSAT numbers. There are likely decisions that you could make not involving matriculating at one of those two options which might be better off in the long run.


With Houston ties NW is more than fine for Houston big law.

You'd seriously recommend NW at sticker over UH for free?


If he/she really wants big law, yes. Whether that is wise or not, is a decision OP needs to carefully think about along with all of the potential consequences.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Northwestern vs. UHouston

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:56 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
With Houston ties NW is more than fine for Houston big law.

You'd seriously recommend NW at sticker over UH for free?


I wouldn't go to UH for Free no matter what, but I don't wanna work shitlaw.


The debt is killer though. I'm not sure I'd do either. 260k is a fuckton of money.

TBF, that's kinda what I was getting at. It literally as simple as OP sitting out this year, applying early to UT, and avoiding both dismal biglaw chances AND ~$2,700/month in student loan payments.
Last edited by patrickd139 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Northwestern vs. UHouston

Postby bizzybone1313 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:If you're set on Houston biglaw, neither of those options is fantastic, though UH is significantly more attractive than NU, IMO. Which is why I asked about your GPA/LSAT numbers. There are likely decisions that you could make not involving matriculating at one of those two options which might be better off in the long run.


With Houston ties NW is more than fine for Houston big law.

You'd seriously recommend NW at sticker over UH for free?


I wouldn't go to UH for Free no matter what, but I don't wanna work shitlaw.


+1111. Have any of you guys ever tried to make a post on jdunderground.com with "shitlaw" in it. The site doesn't let you. When I first tried to do this, the site gave me a list of words I couldn't use along with "shitlaw". I lol'ed very hard that night. Go try it right now for shits and giggles. It is pretty funny.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Northwestern vs. UHouston

Postby 09042014 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:03 am

Tuition blows, but we'll probably make 6 mil over our careers.

bruin91
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:09 pm

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Northwestern vs. UHouston

Postby bruin91 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:50 am

UHouston, transfer to UT.

User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Northwestern vs. UHouston

Postby bizzybone1313 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:54 am

bruin91 wrote:UHouston, transfer to UT.


This is a decent idea. Does anyone know what kind of grades would be required to transfer to UT from U of H?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18408
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Northwestern vs. UHouston

Postby bk1 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:57 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:
bruin91 wrote:UHouston, transfer to UT.


This is a decent idea.

No, no it's not.

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Northwestern vs. UHouston

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:02 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:
bruin91 wrote:UHouston, transfer to UT.


This is a decent idea. Does anyone know what kind of grades would be required to transfer to UT from U of H?


probably good enough grades to get big law out of UH.

User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Northwestern vs. UHouston

Postby bizzybone1313 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:05 am

bk1 wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:
bruin91 wrote:UHouston, transfer to UT.


This is a decent idea.

No, no it's not.


I know the standard, boilerplate advice from TLS: Never attend a school with the intent of transferring. Well, OP seems to be intent on being an attorney no matter what. Like other people, I wouldn't attend U of H at any cost. I want to be attorney real bad myself, but I will only attend UT-Austin or above. I only said going to U of H with the hope of transferring as a decent idea only because OP seems so intent on going to law school no matter what.

OP has a lot of different choices: (1) Retake LSAT, (2) attend NU at $250K, (3) attend U of H for free or (4) not go at all. I would do (1) or (4) myself. OP seems to be intent on attending LS in August. OP let us know what you decide to do.

OP, I would disclose your stats. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site that could give you additional advice if you were to disclose your numbers.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Northwestern vs. UHouston

Postby 09042014 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:09 am

Transferring is stupid because at OCI you aren't really a UT student yet. They would more or less just judge them off UH standards. And OP would be paying 100K more for that luxury. Anyone who can transfer to UT doesn't need to. Which is why telling someone to transfer is stupid.

Why would you take the money at UH, then transfer to the better school. OP has the chance to go to a better school now, already.

120 advice bro.

User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Northwestern vs. UHouston

Postby bizzybone1313 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:12 am

OP, I personally know about a half dozen UT law graduates. A lot of them have personally told me that I should be real, real careful about attending law school. I can imagine this sentiment is magnified 10x by attending U of H. I would spend a lot of time doing research on the legal industry and think very deeply if U of H would be worth it. There are a lot of people from T-20 schools that are struggling, so you can imagine what happens once you get to the T-50 level.

bruin91
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:09 pm

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Northwestern vs. UHouston

Postby bruin91 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:15 am

Desert Fox wrote:Transferring is stupid because at OCI you aren't really a UT student yet. They would more or less just judge them off UH standards. And OP would be paying 100K more for that luxury. Anyone who can transfer to UT doesn't need to. Which is why telling someone to transfer is stupid.

Why would you take the money at UH, then transfer to the better school. OP has the chance to go to a better school now, already.

120 advice bro.


My advice was simply going off OP's desire to attend law school in the Fall. I like the UT reconsider option, but U of Houston is a good school. I'm not suggesting he ought to go in with the intent to transfer, just saying to keep it as an option, and excel at UH with no cost at all.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Northwestern vs. UHouston

Postby 09042014 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:22 am

bruin91 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Transferring is stupid because at OCI you aren't really a UT student yet. They would more or less just judge them off UH standards. And OP would be paying 100K more for that luxury. Anyone who can transfer to UT doesn't need to. Which is why telling someone to transfer is stupid.

Why would you take the money at UH, then transfer to the better school. OP has the chance to go to a better school now, already.

120 advice bro.


My advice was simply going off OP's desire to attend law school in the Fall. I like the UT reconsider option, but U of Houston is a good school. I'm not suggesting he ought to go in with the intent to transfer, just saying to keep it as an option, and excel at UH with no cost at all.


And I'm saying, if he wants to go to a good school, he's already in at one.

bruin91
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:09 pm

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Northwestern vs. UHouston

Postby bruin91 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:30 am

Desert Fox wrote:
bruin91 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Transferring is stupid because at OCI you aren't really a UT student yet. They would more or less just judge them off UH standards. And OP would be paying 100K more for that luxury. Anyone who can transfer to UT doesn't need to. Which is why telling someone to transfer is stupid.

Why would you take the money at UH, then transfer to the better school. OP has the chance to go to a better school now, already.

120 advice bro.


My advice was simply going off OP's desire to attend law school in the Fall. I like the UT reconsider option, but U of Houston is a good school. I'm not suggesting he ought to go in with the intent to transfer, just saying to keep it as an option, and excel at UH with no cost at all.


And I'm saying, if he wants to go to a good school, he's already in at one.



I'd consider NU at sticker. I just don't know OP's financial state.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Northwestern vs. UHouston

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:42 am

Interesting choice. I think NU clearly has the most upside but also the most crippling possible downside if you don't make big law.
What's the risk if a free jd? Nothing really, except the opportunity costs. Are you a gambling man op?
I'd probably take the route easier on my fragile, debt-averse psyche, but on the other hand... YOLO and all that.

helpplease
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Northwestern vs. UHouston

Postby helpplease » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:45 am

Micdiddy wrote:Interesting choice. I think NU clearly has the most upside but also the most crippling possible downside if you don't make big law.
What's the risk if a free jd? Nothing really, except the opportunity costs. Are you a gambling man op?
I'd probably take the route easier on my fragile, debt-averse psyche, but on the other hand... YOLO and all that.


LOL that was funny.

Thank you all for the very interesting and diverse opinions. I'm going to mull this over some more and probably decide next week. I will definitely check back on here and let yall know what my decision turns out to be.

Thanks again! :mrgreen:

Myself
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:36 pm

.

Postby Myself » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:26 am

.
Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

helpplease
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Northwestern vs. UHouston

Postby helpplease » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:34 am

ajax adonis wrote:What are the stipulations for your UH scholarship?


A 2.9 GPA, which translates to being in the top 70% of the class. Not worried about keeping it for all three years.

Myself
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:36 pm

.

Postby Myself » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:38 am

.
Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Winston1984
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Northwestern vs. UHouston

Postby Winston1984 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:51 am

This is a little ridiculous. I am all in favor of retakes when someone doesn't have good options, but OP literally has zero debt coming from UH. It's not a T14, but it's a solid regional school and if he strikes out at biglaw who cares? It doesn't cost him anything. UH all the way man.

User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Northwestern vs. UHouston

Postby bizzybone1313 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:59 am

Winston1984 wrote:This is a little ridiculous. I am all in favor of retakes when someone doesn't have good options, but OP literally has zero debt coming from UH. It's not a T14, but it's a solid regional school and if he strikes out at biglaw who cares? It doesn't cost him anything. UH all the way man.


Well, what about being able to actually have a career after three years of law school? Does that mean anything? I would go to lawschooltransparency.com and pore over U of H's overall employment numbers very, very carefully.

El Principe
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Northwestern vs. UHouston

Postby El Principe » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:11 am

This is a crazy decision.... honestly, I'd look for some form of alternative. I'd honestly do whatever I could to get money from a T14.... even if that means retaking and sitting out the cycle.

That is, if you really want Big Law.

I personally wouldn't pay sticker for most T14s...even with Big Law, that's a massive amount of debt for anyone. Forget chances of big law for a minute. Suppose you do make BigLaw... then you have to worry about attrition. How long will you last? You'll have a massive load of non-dischargeable debt + interest that you'll have to shovel money into to pay off within a reasonable amount of time. That's not something to take lightly. And if you get pushed out, laid off, or just can't take it anymore, you might find yourself in a pinch.

Houston still is a good option, and you have about an 11% chance of Big Law from there. I'd probably take that over most T1 schools outside of Texas (16-50), because from what I've heard from a partner at a Texas Big 3, hiring preference goes from T14 --> Texas --------> Houston/SMU ----------------> Everything else. (anecdotal of course). No debt makes it very low risk financially, but it also limits the rewards... so not a black & white decision.

As for the scholarship at Houston, I don't like the idea of stips, even if it's for top 30%.

TL;DR: I'm going to rank your options as:
1. Sit out and retake for more options and $$$
2. Milk Chi. for some kind of $$$
3. Houston
4. Northwestern at sticker.

User avatar
Winston1984
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Northwestern vs. UHouston

Postby Winston1984 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:31 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:This is a little ridiculous. I am all in favor of retakes when someone doesn't have good options, but OP literally has zero debt coming from UH. It's not a T14, but it's a solid regional school and if he strikes out at biglaw who cares? It doesn't cost him anything. UH all the way man.


Well, what about being able to actually have a career after three years of law school? Does that mean anything? I would go to lawschooltransparency.com and pore over U of H's overall employment numbers very, very carefully.


You are right in that OP has roughly a 60% chance of becoming a lawyer and about a 20% chance at a good outcome, but that is much better than most schools. Like I said, he is incurring zero debt, and UH is a very solid regional school. Any law school outside the T14 (and really the T14) is a gamble because no one is guaranteed a jerb, but I think it is a little ridiculous to have the mentality that unless a job is 100% guaranteed law school is a waste of time. Every law school is now a gamble, and when you factor in debt it becomes pretty serious, but OP won't have debt. If you think 60% isn't a high enough employment number to go to school, what is? Does a 70% chance magically become good enough? I think these threads are what make TLS look bad at times. He isn't talking about Florida Costal Law, he's talking about UH.

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7664
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Northwestern vs. UHouston

Postby worldtraveler » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:41 am

If big law is what you really want, NU all the way. Otherwise, one bad exam can screw up your dreams forever.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot] and 5 guests