NYU ($) or Columbia ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BalanceCare

Re: NYU ($) or Columbia ($$)

Postby BalanceCare » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:49 pm

Bronck wrote:There really aren't significant cultural differences...

"Significant" does a lot of work in this sentence :)

I'm offering the subjective perception of a 0L who has only visited / talked to grads / looked into the schools, though, nothing more... Given the circumstances, my advice to OP would be to form his own.

nerv

Postby nerv » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:41 pm

These are good points. I haven't visited any of them (I haven't even been to NYC in 10 years) and I don't like the city but even with these caveats, I think I would be okay with going to either school if it makes sense financially. For me, things like location and "culture" are secondary concerns to how the school would benefit my professional development.

In any case, are there any thoughts about how easy it is to get a job in Boston from these places? Any difference between the schools in term of class rank needed or things like that?

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:32 pm

nerv wrote:These are good points. I haven't visited any of them (I haven't even been to NYC in 10 years) and I don't like the city but even with these caveats, I think I would be okay with going to either school if it makes sense financially. For me, things like location and "culture" are secondary concerns to how the school would benefit my professional development.

In any case, are there any thoughts about how easy it is to get a job in Boston from these places? Any difference between the schools in term of class rank needed or things like that?

Probably about equal. My guess is above median at either school will give you a shot, with 1/3 or so being safer, but you really need to be from the area.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Sun May 19, 2013 2:08 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
nerv wrote:These are good points. I haven't visited any of them (I haven't even been to NYC in 10 years) and I don't like the city but even with these caveats, I think I would be okay with going to either school if it makes sense financially. For me, things like location and "culture" are secondary concerns to how the school would benefit my professional development.

Probably about equal. My guess is above median at either school will give you a shot, with 1/3 or so being safer, but you really need to be from the area.

When people say from the area or having ties to it, does that just mean like growing up in MA or specifically Boston?.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun May 19, 2013 3:52 pm

Bajam wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:

When people say from the area or having ties to it, does that just mean like growing up in MA or specifically Boston?.

I'd say grew up in/have family in New England is probably sufficient, especially MA/RI/NH/ME. Being from the Boston area would be ideal but I think people in Boston would generally accept that you want to work in Boston as someone with roots in greater NE. It's really just a matter of making a compelling case for wanting to work there, especially instead of NYC, so you don't come off like an outsider or a flight risk.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Sun May 19, 2013 6:46 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Bajam wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:

I'd say grew up in/have family in New England is probably sufficient, especially MA/RI/NH/ME. Being from the Boston area would be ideal but I think people in Boston would generally accept that you want to work in Boston as someone with roots in greater NE. It's really just a matter of making a compelling case for wanting to work there, especially instead of NYC, so you don't come off like an outsider or a flight risk.

Awesome, that clarifies it a lot.

Borg

Postby Borg » Sun May 19, 2013 7:17 pm

Go to Columbia unless you're really into PI. I would argue that 20k is definitely significant enough to make this an easy choice. That's 20k in loans not accruing interest, and 20k of investments accruing interest from the very start of your career.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun May 19, 2013 7:45 pm

hp's at cls don't matter - only1/25 ppl get them

Return to “Choosing a Law School”