Notre Dame $$ or Wake $$$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Notre Dame v Wake

Notre Dame - $98k
31%
Wake - $25k
69%

Total votes: 49

sdmelzer

Notre Dame $$ or Wake $$$$

Postby sdmelzer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:15 pm

Was completely set on attending Wake Forest a couple days ago for around $25,000 total COA. Yesterday, Notre Dame accepted me with scholarship, putting the total COA around $98,000. These numbers account for interest.

My goal is biglaw, though the odds are stacked against me. A clerkship would be sweet as well. So basically, the usual TLS goals. I'm from NC. I don't mind moving for a better probability for my dream outcome. Thoughts?

TheNextAmendment

Re: Notre Dame $$ or Wake $$$$

Postby TheNextAmendment » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:26 pm

sdmelzer wrote:Was completely set on attending Wake Forest a couple days ago for around $25,000 total COA. Yesterday, Notre Dame accepted me with scholarship, putting the total COA around $98,000. These numbers account for interest.

My goal is biglaw, though the odds are stacked against me. A clerkship would be sweet as well. So basically, the usual TLS goals. I'm from NC. I don't mind moving for a better probability for my dream outcome. Thoughts?

ND

balzie94

Postby balzie94 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:32 pm

Last edited by balzie94 on Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

framboozer

Postby framboozer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:00 pm

Accept that the probability of BigLaw is miniscule. Otherwise, that's a good price for Wake.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:07 pm

sdmelzer wrote:My goal is biglaw, though the odds are stacked against me. A clerkship would be sweet as well. So basically, the usual TLS goals. I'm from NC. I don't mind moving for a better probability for my dream outcome. Thoughts?

retake

Wakelaw15

Postby Wakelaw15 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:08 pm

How can this be COA? The cost of food/rent/etc. is $20k a year, so I assume what you mean is $25k in tuition cost. For that, I think it's a very good price (~$85k in total attendance cost). The change of big law is not "minuscule" its 10-15%. So it's not the most likely result, but some people will get it. A lot more likely is a job paying $60k or so.
Last edited by Wakelaw15 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:10 pm

sdmelzer wrote:Was completely set on attending Wake Forest a couple days ago for around $25,000 total COA. Yesterday, Notre Dame accepted me with scholarship, putting the total COA around $98,000. These numbers account for interest.

Would you mind spending a few months studying and retaking the LSAT to DRASTICALLY improve your probability for a dream outcome?

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:11 pm

framboozer wrote:Accept that the probability of BigLaw is miniscule. Otherwise, that's a good price for Wake.

This. Wake's 66.7% employment rate isn't horrible (although it's certainly not good).

But your best option is going to be RETAKE.

sdmelzer

Postby sdmelzer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:30 pm

Retaking is not an option. I have already used my attempts. Standardized tests are not something I excel at.

In terms of COA, I have family assistance. So yes, the COA is in fact the actual total COA.

Wakelaw15

Postby Wakelaw15 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:00 pm

sdmelzer wrote:Retaking is not an option. I have already used my attempts. Standardized tests are not something I excel at.

In terms of COA, I have family assistance. So yes, the COA is in fact the actual total COA.

It's up to you. I'd say definitely wake if you are comfortable practicing in NC or nearby. The employment outcomes aren't really that different, and the cost difference is a downpayment on a $400,000 house (plus you will be paying interest on the debt).

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:34 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jayman12

Postby jayman12 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:43 pm

Wakelaw15 wrote:How can this be COA? The cost of food/rent/etc. is $20k a year, so I assume what you mean is $25k in tuition cost. For that, I think it's a very good price (~$85k in total attendance cost). The change of big law is not "minuscule" its 10-15%. So it's not the most likely result, but some people will get it. A lot more likely is a job paying $60k or so.

20k for a year of food and rent in Winston-Salem seems like your getting ripped off

sdmelzer

Postby sdmelzer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:32 pm

rad lulz wrote:
sdmelzer wrote:Retaking is not an option. I have already used my attempts. Standardized tests are not something I excel at.

Go to Wake and come up w some more achievable goals

I'm not biglaw or bust. If I cannot attain biglaw, so be it. But I would like to have at least a chance to crack it.

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:32 pm

Notre Dame is absolutely not worth 75k more than Wake Forest when you have NC ties.

jad0re

Postby jad0re » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:57 pm

I'm impressed by your COA.
How much scholarship did ND give you?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:00 pm

sdmelzer wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Go to Wake and come up w some more achievable goals

I'm not biglaw or bust. If I cannot attain biglaw, so be it. But I would like to have at least a chance to crack it.

Neither school gives a good chance. So go to Wake or don't go.

sdmelzer

Postby sdmelzer » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:15 pm

jad0re wrote:I'm impressed by your COA.
How much scholarship did ND give you?

More than they have given anyone else on lsn with my numbers, that's for sure. I like the Notre Dame name, I like the slightly better placement. I understand that 75k is a lot of money. It is just an opportunity I wasn't expecting to have. I feel like if Wake hadn't made such a great offer, it wouldn't even be close. But I guess I am fortunate enough to decide between two great offers.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:04 pm

Wake Forest for $25k with NC ties is a good set-up.

You need to accept that there is an 85% chance that you do not get biglaw and a 95% chance you will not get a clerkship. On to of that, remember that you are not a special snowflake.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:23 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Wake Forest for $25k with NC ties is a good set-up.

You need to accept that there is an 85% chance that you do not get biglaw and a 95% chance you will not get a clerkship. On to of that, remember that you are not a special snowflake.

I agree with this. I think WF wins this easy, but understand your odds of biglaw aren't good at all. Whether you want to call them "miniscule" or not (we can quibble over phrasing) you're still not likely at all to get it. Even from ND, you've got a ~30%ish chance at a firm of 100+. Keep that in mind. I vote WF.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:54 am

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:46 pm

ajax adonis wrote:I'd go WF if I had to choose one (not that I would choose one) because the chances of clerking or big law out of ND aren't big enough to make up the scholarship difference.

This is probably the answer you want to hear, OP. But the answer you need to hear is retake. You'd be surprised at how much 8-10 points can improve your admissions cycle and actually make law school worth the investment.

sdmelzer

Postby sdmelzer » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:07 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:I'd go WF if I had to choose one (not that I would choose one) because the chances of clerking or big law out of ND aren't big enough to make up the scholarship difference.

This is probably the answer you want to hear, OP. But the answer you need to hear is retake. You'd be surprised at how much 8-10 points can improve your admissions cycle and actually make law school worth the investment.

I would retake if I could. That is the advice I got twice after my initial attempts, and I did indeed retake. But these are the cards I have been dealt.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:14 pm

sdmelzer wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:

I would retake if I could. That is the advice I got twice after my initial attempts, and I did indeed retake. But these are the cards I have been dealt.

If you insist on playing with the cards you've been dealt, I would go with WF; that being said, make sure you reassess your goals, as BigLaw from WF is a long shot.

sdmelzer

Postby sdmelzer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:36 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
If you insist on playing with the cards you've been dealt, I would go with WF; that being said, make sure you reassess your goals, as BigLaw from WF is a long shot.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I know that I have an overwhelming chance of not getting it. But you gotta have hope :D

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:26 pm

sdmelzer wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I know that I have an overwhelming chance of not getting it. But you gotta have hope :D

You've also gotta be realistic. :wink: Good luck!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”