?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Kukimonsta

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:15 am

?

Postby Kukimonsta » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:49 am

Edited.
Last edited by Kukimonsta on Fri May 03, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ti Malice

Gold
Posts: 1954
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: UT-Austin ($) v. NU (sticker). . .Please Help

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:00 pm

What are your numbers?

User avatar
Cobretti

Gold
Posts: 2594
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: UT-Austin ($) v. NU (sticker). . .Please Help

Postby Cobretti » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:06 pm

where do you have ties?

Jarndyce&Jarndyce

New
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:37 pm

Re: UT-Austin ($) v. NU (sticker). . .Please Help

Postby Jarndyce&Jarndyce » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:07 pm

This is a no brainer. Go to UT.

Kukimonsta

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:15 am

Re: UT-Austin ($) v. NU (sticker). . .Please Help

Postby Kukimonsta » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:08 pm

Ti Malice wrote:What are your numbers?



I'd rather not reveal. However, I will tell you that I cannot retake and that my GPA will mostly likely keep me from getting much $.

Kukimonsta

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:15 am

Re: UT-Austin ($) v. NU (sticker). . .Please Help

Postby Kukimonsta » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:09 pm

Cobretti wrote:where do you have ties?



Midwest. Think Wisconsin.

Kukimonsta

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:15 am

Re: UT-Austin ($) v. NU (sticker). . .Please Help

Postby Kukimonsta » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:12 pm

Jarndyce&Jarndyce wrote:This is a no brainer. Go to UT.


Why so quick to dismiss NU and its t14 status?

Ti Malice

Gold
Posts: 1954
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: UT-Austin ($) v. NU (sticker). . .Please Help

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:15 pm

Jarndyce&Jarndyce wrote:This is a no brainer. Go to UT.


It's very, very far from being a no-brainer.

Kukimonsta

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:15 am

Re: UT-Austin ($) v. NU (sticker). . .Please Help

Postby Kukimonsta » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:18 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
Jarndyce&Jarndyce wrote:This is a no brainer. Go to UT.


It's very, very far from being a no-brainer.



Especially, considering that I am aiming for BigLaw, I find it very hard to dismiss NU.

User avatar
Nelson

Gold
Posts: 2058
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: UT-Austin ($) v. NU (sticker). . .Please Help

Postby Nelson » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:24 pm

So OP, you won't reveal numbers because you don't want to retake, even though you should. Neither of these options looks particularly good to me, especially since you're picky about markets. Northwestern might be OK if you were OK with NYC.

As a URM, you shouldn't have to settle for Northwestern at sticker.

Jarndyce&Jarndyce

New
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:37 pm

Re: UT-Austin ($) v. NU (sticker). . .Please Help

Postby Jarndyce&Jarndyce » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:29 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
Jarndyce&Jarndyce wrote:This is a no brainer. Go to UT.


It's very, very far from being a no-brainer.


Meh, I disagree. He wants to go into energy biglaw. That's probably the #1 biglaw field in Texas. Baker Botts, Fulbright, V&E. He wants to avoid debt. Not only does the texas biglaw pay market salary generally, the cost of living is way WAY cheaper than NYC. He'll start out 100k less in debt. Given his parameters with no ties to either place---It's a no brainer.

It's not always a no brainer. But in this case, in my opinion, it is. It really just depends on how badly the OP values what he says he values. Plus at NU, your competition is going to be the NE market and all the kickass law schools in the area. Where, I ask you, is UT's competition for the Texas market? It's a thousand miles to the next comparable law schools, Vandy or UVA.

Jarndyce&Jarndyce

New
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:37 pm

Re: UT-Austin ($) v. NU (sticker). . .Please Help

Postby Jarndyce&Jarndyce » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:31 pm

Kukimonsta wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
Jarndyce&Jarndyce wrote:This is a no brainer. Go to UT.


It's very, very far from being a no-brainer.



Especially, considering that I am aiming for BigLaw, I find it very hard to dismiss NU.



This shows you have done no research into UT or the Texas Law market. I retract my former statement. Go to NU.

de5igual

Silver
Posts: 1443
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: UT-Austin ($) v. NU (sticker). . .Please Help

Postby de5igual » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:33 pm

Retake. No TX ties + AA-URM = horrible idea.

Kukimonsta

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:15 am

Re: UT-Austin ($) v. NU (sticker). . .Please Help

Postby Kukimonsta » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:44 pm

Jarndyce&Jarndyce wrote:
Kukimonsta wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
Jarndyce&Jarndyce wrote:This is a no brainer. Go to UT.


It's very, very far from being a no-brainer.



Especially, considering that I am aiming for BigLaw, I find it very hard to dismiss NU.



This shows you have done no research into UT or the Texas Law market. I retract my former statement. Go to NU.


Why so mad? I am well aware of Texas Law Market. Just like everything else in TX, it's Big.

Jarndyce&Jarndyce

New
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:37 pm

Re: UT-Austin ($) v. NU (sticker). . .Please Help

Postby Jarndyce&Jarndyce » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:44 pm

f0bolous wrote:Retake. No TX ties + AA-URM = horrible idea.


What does being an AA-URM have to do with it?

User avatar
Rahviveh

Gold
Posts: 2332
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: UT-Austin ($) v. NU (sticker). . .Please Help

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:47 pm

Jarndyce&Jarndyce wrote:
f0bolous wrote:Retake. No TX ties + AA-URM = horrible idea.


What does being an AA-URM have to do with it?


Because if you really are AA-URM that must mean your numbers are quite terrible - bad enough that an LSAT retake is worth it.

ETA: Ok I post stalked you and you have a 3.72/165. And you are an AA? WTF? Did you apply late? I'm an idiot
Last edited by Rahviveh on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jarndyce&Jarndyce

New
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:37 pm

Re: UT-Austin ($) v. NU (sticker). . .Please Help

Postby Jarndyce&Jarndyce » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:53 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
Jarndyce&Jarndyce wrote:
f0bolous wrote:Retake. No TX ties + AA-URM = horrible idea.


What does being an AA-URM have to do with it?


Because if you really are AA-URM that must mean your numbers are quite terrible - bad enough that an LSAT retake is worth it.

ETA: Ok I post stalked you and you have a 3.72/165. And you are an AA? WTF? Did you apply late?



I think you might have post stalked me...I'm not the OP.

Kukimonsta

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:15 am

Re: UT-Austin ($) v. NU (sticker). . .Please Help

Postby Kukimonsta » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:00 pm

Jarndyce&Jarndyce wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
Jarndyce&Jarndyce wrote:
f0bolous wrote:Retake. No TX ties + AA-URM = horrible idea.


What does being an AA-URM have to do with it?


Because if you really are AA-URM that must mean your numbers are quite terrible - bad enough that an LSAT retake is worth it.

ETA: Ok I post stalked you and you have a 3.72/165. And you are an AA? WTF? Did you apply late?



I think you might have post stalked me...I'm not the OP.


Above post confused me as well.

For all the people suggesting retake: I have taken LSAT twice but My GPA is WELL under 3. My goal is BigLaw. It seems to me that I have two good choices in front of me. So please, help in this regard instead of wondering about my numbers.

User avatar
Rahviveh

Gold
Posts: 2332
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: UT-Austin ($) v. NU (sticker). . .Please Help

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:03 pm

Kukimonsta wrote:
For all the people suggesting retake: I have taken LSAT twice but My GPA is WELL under 3. My goal is BigLaw. It seems to me that I have two good choices in front of me. So please, help in this regard instead of wondering about my numbers.


People are recommending retake because your goals (low debt and biglaw) are incompatible with your options. You'll just have to figure out which one is more important

User avatar
Cobretti

Gold
Posts: 2594
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: UT-Austin ($) v. NU (sticker). . .Please Help

Postby Cobretti » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:04 pm

I've heard TX can be very insular. Can anyone else comment on if going to UT alone is sufficient ties to the area? If that is the case I would say UT. If your lack of TX ties would negatively affect your job prospects in TX, I'd say NU.

User avatar
shifty_eyed

Gold
Posts: 1925
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: UT-Austin ($) v. NU (sticker). . .Please Help

Postby shifty_eyed » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:04 pm

Nelson wrote:So OP, you won't reveal numbers because you don't want to retake, even though you should. Neither of these options looks particularly good to me, especially since you're picky about markets. Northwestern might be OK if you were OK with NYC.

As a URM, you shouldn't have to settle for Northwestern at sticker.


He said he's not picky about where he ends up?


NU at sticker is worrisome. I withdrew because of its high COA w/ a 45k scholarship. That said, I think NU would be better for you given your lack of Texas ties, its national reach, and most importantly, its much better biglaw placement. I think you are more likely to end up with a market paying job there than at TX, and that is probably worth the 100k, as much as it pains me to say.

User avatar
Cobretti

Gold
Posts: 2594
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: UT-Austin ($) v. NU (sticker). . .Please Help

Postby Cobretti » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:05 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
Kukimonsta wrote:
For all the people suggesting retake: I have taken LSAT twice but My GPA is WELL under 3. My goal is BigLaw. It seems to me that I have two good choices in front of me. So please, help in this regard instead of wondering about my numbers.


People are recommending retake because your goals (low debt and biglaw) are incompatible with your options. You'll just have to figure out which one is more important

Isn't the 2.5ish GPA a pretty good argument that he wont get much better than what he has? I'd assume he's probably right about a higher lsat not helping nearly as much as it would for people with a stronger gpa.

ETA: i mean wouldn't get much better acceptances/$, not much better on the LSAT

User avatar
shifty_eyed

Gold
Posts: 1925
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: UT-Austin ($) v. NU (sticker). . .Please Help

Postby shifty_eyed » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:09 pm

Cobretti wrote:I've heard TX can be very insular. Can anyone else comment on if going to UT alone is sufficient ties to the area? If that is the case I would say UT. If your lack of TX ties would negatively affect your job prospects in TX, I'd say NU.


From what I've heard, a lack of TX ties won't hurt you if you have the grades to back it up. It's when you get closer to median and below that you have to bank on ties, networking, etc. Since he can't count on being top 10%, I'm leaning NU since he'll have good options (I think?) at median. HOWEVER, I don't know how his AA status might affect this (diversity hiring, etc). I imagine any boost would be the same at both schools, and that he'd still have a better grade cushion AND better nationally known school on his resume from NU.

User avatar
Cobretti

Gold
Posts: 2594
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: UT-Austin ($) v. NU (sticker). . .Please Help

Postby Cobretti » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:11 pm

whats your exact UT scholarship?

User avatar
buddyt

Silver
Posts: 775
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Re: UT-Austin ($) v. NU (sticker). . .Please Help

Postby buddyt » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:12 pm

Kukimonsta wrote:I cannot retake

Kukimonsta wrote:For all the people suggesting retake: I have taken LSAT twice

So you can retake.
Last edited by buddyt on Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests