BU ($$$) vs UT (In-state sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Boston U
22%
The University of Texas
78%

Total votes: 27

Jarndyce&Jarndyce

Postby Jarndyce&Jarndyce » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:30 am

As the posting title says--

UT in state sticker is 32k. BU, with my scholarship applied, will be 19k.

Thoughts?

[edit]

Thanks, I was trying to be vague, but i guess vagueness garners one only vague replies. Makes sense, really.

For all intensive purposes, let's just say i'm considering BU and UT

Total COA
50k for UT. 35k for BU. If you apply my scholarship, over three years the total COA difference will be $44,504 SAVED if I go to BU over UT.

I will be financing my COA through fed loans.

I'm from Texas. Ideally, i'd like to stay in Texas. But i mean...Boston and Austin are both great places to live. I'm spoilt for choice there. I could probably be happy practicing in either Texas or MA. I have connections in both cities.

I want to work in Big Law. If i stayed in Texas, i'd probably do Energy law. Coroporate/Commercial Litigation is what I believe I'd like to do.

165/3.7. Took it 1 time, taking again in June to see if i can do better. For the purposes of this poll, let's assume I get another 165.
Last edited by Jarndyce&Jarndyce on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nelson

Re: BU ($$$) vs UT (In-state sticker)

Postby Nelson » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:32 am

I don't see how BU makes any sense here. Your explanation of the COA is really confusing, but as long as you're closer to 100k in debt at UT than 200k, it's not a terrible option.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:11 pm

Did you also get the 3k/yr need based grant? UT has a set tuition for all 3 years, so you won't have to worry about increases like you will at BU.

Anyway, for your goals, UT seems the better choice.

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:50 pm

Ties to Texas, want to stay in Texas... You need to go to UT. It's good that you're retaking though, I'd reapply if you hit 168+ and they don't give you $$$.

RAWR

Postby RAWR » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:06 pm

As long as you're not going to get your masters in mathematics...

I kid, I kid.

But I don't see why you would uproot yourself and almost chain yourself to New England when your ultimate goal is to be working in Texas.

Jarndyce&Jarndyce

Postby Jarndyce&Jarndyce » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:27 pm

The fuzzy math you are all so jocularly ribbing me over is due to my hesitation to put exact figures up...

I fear being discovered by the powers that be at the aforementioned institutions! The $44,504 difference in COA (when you add all three years together) is the only number based on the exact figures. I never liked to show my work in grammar school either. I've altered the math to make it make more sense.

Anyway, I'm leaning towards Texas, but it's always good to get more opinions. Thanks everyone who voted.

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:33 pm

Anyone can figure out you have 25k/year at BU
Also COA seems to be about:
BU - 142k
UT - 187k

Retake and reapply, texas at sticker (even instate) is pricey.

Jarndyce&Jarndyce

Postby Jarndyce&Jarndyce » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:13 pm

Aawaldrop wrote:Anyone can figure out you have 25k/year at BU
BU - 142k
UT - 187k

Where did you find those numbers? I was going by what was posted on the school website.

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:56 pm

Jarndyce&Jarndyce wrote:
BU - 142k
UT - 187k

Where did you find those numbers? I was going by what was posted on the school website.

Per year COA UT:53k BU:38k (63k-25k) (Values from websites tuition/fees+cost of living
Plug into georgetown calculator : http://www.law.georgetown.edu/admissions-financial-aid/office-of-financial-aid/loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&pageid=61621

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:48 pm

BU - 142k
UT - 187k

:lol:

empyreanrrv

Postby empyreanrrv » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:57 pm

OP needs to post real numbers or confirm that the numbers ITT are accurate. If they are, these prices are all too steep. Retake for more money.

Informative

Postby Informative » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:46 pm

If you like Texas and want to work in Texas, I wouldn't consider any of the Boston schools other than Harvard. BC and BU place very well into biglaw (comparable with UT), but they place well in Boston and NYC, not Texas.

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:02 pm

UT

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:36 pm

COL in Austin is 2K a year more than Boston? I don't believe that...

Anyway, gun to your head: UT. You don't have the ties or desire to work in the Northeast to make any non-Harvard Boston school make sense.

However, I think instate sticker is just too much to pay for UT. That price neccesitates big law and the chance of getting big law out of UT is just not good enough to take that gamble. I hate to say it but if you can't get over the 165 hump you might be better off with a huge scholarship to UH/SMU (does UH even give those?). Right now you're kind of in a no-mans land I think.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:57 pm

UT instate here, definitely. I would go at instate sticker to UT too but considering you've only taken once, I would definitely retake again in June and probably even again in October if your in the same boat

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:02 pm

sinfiery wrote:UT instate here, definitely. I would go at instate sticker to UT too but considering you've only taken once, I would definitely retake again in June and probably even again in October if your in the same boat

What is someone who is 170K in debt going to do if they miss the Texas big law gravy train though? I guess just PAYE their way through life? I think instate sticker is awfully risky.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:13 pm

BigZuck wrote:What is someone who is 170K in debt going to do if they miss the Texas big law gravy train though? I guess just PAYE their way through life? I think instate sticker is awfully risky.

Well, it would take roughly top 50% to get biglaw or a clerkship from UT which isn't terrible. Especially at 170k.

From there you can go onto PLSF or PAYE, or maybe some of those small firms.that UT alums are working at might actually be somewhat profitable. Or possibly not all of those business jobs that UT alums go to are minimum wage jobs.

With the only real data available for salary available for biglaw, I think 170k for a 50% chance of that outcome plus all the uncertainty surrounding if the other options UT alums get are really that bad, I would personally take it.

Plus most of these jobs are in Texas where the low taxes and COL will substantially help you repay your loans.

It's not perfect but a risk I would take given all the unknowns.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:40 pm

Retake and Reapply.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”