Foreign Policy Magazine Article: Should You Go to Law School Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Theopliske8711

Gold

Foreign Policy Magazine Article: Should You Go to Law School

Post by Theopliske8711 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:21 am

Most of us here have undoubtedly read this before in a different form by a different writer, but it is worth stressing.

Apologies if this is the wrong subforum.

Should I go to law School

I liked this bit, again, it's worth stressing that this isn't new:
There's a clear and well-trodden path from good law schools to jobs in big firms, and the career advising offices at most such law schools excel in guiding students through the process of getting law firm jobs. Meanwhile, the public defender's office of Southern Kentucky may have the funds to hire only one new lawyer every few years, and they certainly can't afford to send recruiters out to dozens of law schools. The same is true of small, local five-person firms, and of human rights NGOs, and even many federal government employers. Consequently, these jobs (which are also, of course, far less lucrative) are very hard to find: They take initiative and legwork. You may have to finance your own summer internships; you may have to finance your own trips to job interviews. Little wonder that so many graduates of top law schools end up going into firms.

Unless you are one of those rare individuals with the strength of character to avoid following the path of least resistance, you're likely to find yourself, a few years from now, doing something you never much wanted to do, and feeling pretty rotten about it. You'll enter law school full of high ideals: You're going to use law to defend the wrongly accused on death row, or become an advocate for the human rights of oppressed indigenous peoples in China. But odds are high that you'll come out of law school planning to work for Dewey, Cheatham & Howe -- or maybe for Status, Quo & Annual Bonus. "Just for a while," you'll tell yourself. "Just to pay some debts. Just to see if I like it." But eight years later, you'll have a mortgage on a big house, a fancy car, a nanny, and two kids in expensive private schools. You'll have trapped yourself nicely, and you'll be pouring out your sorrows to someone doing a survey on career satisfaction among law firm associates.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Re: Foreign Policy Magazine Article: Should You Go to Law School

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:31 am

lol, like they'll let you stay at your firm for eight years.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:32 am

If you speak a foreign language, get the hell out of this country while you still can.

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:42 am

Yea, the last paragraph also has some problems.
And here's the best news of all: Going to law school doesn't mean you have to become a lawyer. Plenty of non-legal employers also value the skills bright law school graduates bring to the table. If you're interested in foreign policy or national security-related careers, for instance, there are plenty of opportunities outside the State Department Legal Advisor's Office or the DOD General Counsel. When I worked in the Pentagon's policy shop, several of the most impressive action officers I met were young law school graduates (who seemed to regard their avoidance of legal practice as a narrow escape). A J.D. isn't needed for those jobs -- but it sure doesn't hurt. And among the Georgetown Law alumni I know, there are foreign service officers, television journalists, entrepreneurs, CIA analysts, management consultants, human rights advocates, and congressional staffers. These alumni are among the happiest law school graduates I know.
These options are for what? Like 1% of graduates? Did she not hear about what they are doing to journalist positions?

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:47 am

Danteshek wrote:If you speak a foreign language, get the hell out of this country while you still can.
This country is better than most right now, so you're shit out of luck. Those countries where things are going well, Denmark, Germany, Sweden... are... not likely to have any opening for foreigners.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:52 am

Well-intentioned but a little off in parts.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:13 pm

romothesavior wrote:Well-intentioned but a little off in parts.
Yeah, the perspective is distinctly pre-ITE. The days when people actually had to worry about selling out instead of following their dreams or going into the many policy and government positions available for JDs.

TheNextAmendment

Bronze

Post by TheNextAmendment » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:29 pm

Big house? Fancy car? Nanny? Two kids in nice private school? Im confused...I thought this article was supposed to persuade me NOT to go to law school.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:15 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:If you speak a foreign language, get the hell out of this country while you still can.
This country is better than most right now, so you're shit out of luck. Those countries where things are going well, Denmark, Germany, Sweden... are... not likely to have any opening for foreigners.
Of course you'll be shit out of luck if you move to a developed economy like Denmark, Germany, or Sweden. They have their own, entrenched ways of doing things. You'll have more luck if you go further afield.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

froglee

New

Post by froglee » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:01 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:Most of us here have undoubtedly read this before in a different form by a different writer, but it is worth stressing.

But odds are high that you'll come out of law school planning to work for Dewey, Cheatham & Howe -- or maybe for Status, Quo & Annual Bonus. "Just for a while," you'll tell yourself. "Just to pay some debts. Just to see if I like it." But eight years later, you'll have a mortgage on a big house, a fancy car, a nanny, and two kids in expensive private schools. You'll have trapped yourself nicely, and you'll be pouring out your sorrows to someone doing a survey on career satisfaction among law firm associates.
Odds are high that law graduates will work for biglaw????? Maybe for HYS graduates....

gitguy

Bronze

Post by gitguy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:00 pm

froglee wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:Most of us here have undoubtedly read this before in a different form by a different writer, but it is worth stressing.

But odds are high that you'll come out of law school planning to work for Dewey, Cheatham & Howe -- or maybe for Status, Quo & Annual Bonus. "Just for a while," you'll tell yourself. "Just to pay some debts. Just to see if I like it." But eight years later, you'll have a mortgage on a big house, a fancy car, a nanny, and two kids in expensive private schools. You'll have trapped yourself nicely, and you'll be pouring out your sorrows to someone doing a survey on career satisfaction among law firm associates.
Odds are high that law graduates will work for biglaw????? Maybe for HYS graduates....
That is not what it says

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Tue May 14, 2013 4:46 pm

Yea, I wasn't going to say anything, but that was taken out of context completely.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”