Plan to work in NYC!! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Plan to work in NYC!!

Georgetown (COA 195000)
23%
Fordham (97000)
61%
Vandy (118000)
9%
UCLA (114000)
4%
Cardozo (40320)
3%

Total votes: 69

Rlabo

Silver

Plan to work in NYC!!

Post by Rlabo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:25 am

Hey guys,

Here's the deal, all the numbers are on the higher end and will probably be lower. I've narrowed it down to pretty much Fordham V GULC (V WL) but put the other offers up just to see what would happen.

A nice chunk of this debt will be payed off with family help, but I may need to take out some minimal loans to subsidize (don't have exact numbers for this yet).

I'm from NYC and want to work in NYC upon graduation - would heavily prefer Biglaw.

I know there are going to be a number of you that say retake. and to you I say thank you for your concern for my well being and while I greatly appreciate the sentiment, you're wasting your energy.

As always, any advice is welcomed and appreciated. If there's anything that is unclear please let me know. Thanks!

Tekrul

Bronze

Re: Plan to work in NYC!!

Post by Tekrul » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:28 am

I know you said you won't retake and I just wasted like 2 calories typing this out, but!

I would have went for world domination if I had your GPA. World. Domination.

Edit: For your edification

From LST: in 2012
GULC placed 39.1% of it's grads in biglaw (and the ability to return to NYC would be a diminished subset of this number - 17.9% of all grads end up in NYC - taken very roughly that means ~8% end up in NYC biglaw)
Fordham placed 30.5% (75.5% ending up in NYC)
Cardozo placed 11.6% (61% ending up in NYC)

With your GPA, if you retook the LSAT and improved by just 5 points you would be looking at
NYU placing 59.5% of it's grads in biglaw
CLS placing 64.2% of its grads in biglaw
These are not counting prestigious clerkships, the recipients of which would have undoubtedly been able to secure biglaw. This figure would add about 8% to the two figures.
Last edited by Tekrul on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:31 am

You HAVE to retake. One more point, just one fucking measly point, will give you far better options than this. You'll have a ton of regret if you go to school this fall, trust me.

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:35 am

Tekrul wrote:I know you said you won't retake and I just wasted like 2 calories typing this out, but!

I would have went for world domination if I had your GPA. World. Domination.
I'm a K-JD graduating in 3 years. My options are good enough IMO (yes, I Know they could be better) where I do not feel the need to put off law school for a year.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:36 am

If you're really too stubborn to get a job and retake a test, you should go to Fordham. You probably won't get biglaw though. Lack of work experience and a mediocre school? I'd bet against you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:37 am

Danger Zone wrote:You HAVE to retake. One more point, just one fucking measly point, will give you far better options than this. You'll have a ton of regret if you go to school this fall, trust me.
I don't know if i buy that, 2-3 points maybe but going from 169-170 isn't going to change much in my cycle (applying earlier may have as I applied late Jan).

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:40 am

Nelson wrote:If you're really too stubborn to get a job and retake a test, you should go to Fordham. You probably won't get biglaw though. Lack of work experience and a mediocre school? I'd bet against you.
Well yeah, the odds would be against me as I'd realistically need to be top third or quarter to get Biglaw from Fordham.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:41 am

DUDE, you need TWO points to get into NYU. Not retaking would be a pretty bad decision.

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:42 am

Rlabo wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:You HAVE to retake. One more point, just one fucking measly point, will give you far better options than this. You'll have a ton of regret if you go to school this fall, trust me.
I don't know if i buy that, 2-3 points maybe but going from 169-170 isn't going to change much in my cycle (applying earlier may have as I applied late Jan).
omg, you applied late in the cycle too? DOOD, read my edit up the thread, I literally took 20 minutes out of my life for you just now. retake ffs

Edit: I graduated in 3 years too. If you went through the immense course load to graduate early and save money, and STILL got a GPA that high, why in God's name would you waste it? The one year you'd wait now is 1 year you've EARNED by working hard and graduating early. That is YOUR year dude, and now you have the luxury of using it to a fantastic end, study for the lsat, retake it, and reapply with much better options.
Last edited by Tekrul on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:45 am

WokeUpInACar wrote:DUDE, you need TWO points to get into NYU. Not retaking would be a pretty bad decision.
Probably more like 4 points to get into NYU 2 points to get WL, but I also haven't looked at an LSAT since December (by which point I had already gone up 26 points through my studying) so I would have to get back to where I was and then do better than that.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:48 am

Rlabo wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:DUDE, you need TWO points to get into NYU. Not retaking would be a pretty bad decision.
Probably more like 4 points to get into NYU 2 points to get WL, but I also haven't looked at an LSAT since December (by which point I had already gone up 26 points through my studying) so I would have to get back to where I was and then do better than that.
With work experience and an earlier application, you probably wouldn't underperform as much as you did. Pretty surprised you didn't get into Cornell. You still probably get into Cornell off the waitlist, which is a better option at sticker than GULC if your parents are picking up a big chunk of the tab.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Silver

Post by IrwinM.Fletcher » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:49 am

I admire the persistence of the posters who keep trying to save people like this from making retarded, impatient decisions. It is a never ending battle.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:49 am

Rlabo wrote:
MyLSN shows 11 acceptances and 4 WL for 171/(3.55-3.65) this cycle.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:53 am

Tekrul wrote:
Rlabo wrote:
omg, you applied late in the cycle too? DOOD, read my edit up the thread, I literally took 20 minutes out of my life for you just now. retake ffs
Hahaha I appreciate the time really. One thing that always seemed off to me on these boards is the GULC hate. I still think their Biglaw placement percentages are where they are only because many people self select government/public interest, I mean they're pretty well known for that. I'm not advocating that theyre THE awesome school or anything like that but I feel like overreact slightly over em too. I studied for the LSAT for 7 months and went up 26 points from first practest to real test (31 point range) and while it may JUST be 5 points to get into columbia/nyu etc. it may just be possible that the 96th percentile is my peak. I'd rather not dedicate another seven months to what I already learned a month b4 taking the real test when I stopped improving.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:54 am

You are what, 21? Why in the world are you in such a hurry to go to law school?

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:55 am

WokeUpInACar wrote:You are what, 21? Why in the world are you in such a hurry to go to law school?
This isnt gonna win m any brownie points, but I'm actually 20 (21 in November)

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:56 am

Rlabo wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:You are what, 21? Why in the world are you in such a hurry to go to law school?
So your answer to my question would be?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:56 am

As someone who graduated in 3 yrs and went K-JD, know that you will need higher grades than average to compensate for the lack of work experience. If you are on the bubble of that 33% or whatever, its likely not gonna happen.

Trust me. Wait a year. Its a blink of an eye that could change the trajectory of a 40 year career.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:58 am

timbs4339 wrote:As someone who graduated in 3 yrs and went K-JD, know that you will need higher grades than average to compensate for the lack of work experience. If you are on the bubble of that 33% or whatever, its likely not gonna happen.

Trust me. Wait a year. Its a blink of an eye that could change the trajectory of a 40 year career.
Yeah I was thinking this as well. I can't imagine firms are going to be jumping over each other to hire a 21 year old at OCI.
Last edited by WokeUpInACar on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:58 am

Nelson wrote:
Rlabo wrote:
With work experience and an earlier application, you probably wouldn't underperform as much as you did. Pretty surprised you didn't get into Cornell. You still probably get into Cornell off the waitlist, which is a better option at sticker than GULC if your parents are picking up a big chunk of the tab.
Yea I was shocked that I didnt get into cornell either, assuming its because of the late app, but I do think this cycle is gonna see a bit of WL action - in my case I'm thinking possibly in at duke and cornell but without money

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:59 am

WokeUpInACar wrote:
Rlabo wrote:
In short, I value time above almost all else.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:04 am

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:I admire the persistence of the posters who keep trying to save people like this from making retarded, impatient decisions. It is a never ending battle.
Ouch, I didn't post up cooley, depaul and hofstra. These are legitimate options IMO. Could they be better? Of course, but thats true of anything south of HYS. I actually would like to attend law school and while agree that one most think long and hard about the investment of time and money I also think that putting off a year and rolling the dice again on the LSAT as well as on whatever new application materials I would have to come up may put me in a worse situation not better. JUST 5 point can also be JUST 5 points in the wrong direction.

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:05 am

Rlabo wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:
Rlabo wrote:
In short, I value time above almost all else.
Well I certainly hope that's true cause you are literally putting 1 year of "time" before 1) odds, 2) security, 3) job prospects, 4) gainful employment

Edit: I should have been out the door half an hour ago. Sigh, you put in so much work to raise your score by 26 points, imagine what 30 could do. With such drastic improvement, you know you have it in you.
Last edited by Tekrul on Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:05 am

Hey, if you're only 20, your 25 years of IBR payments for your GULC debt will be gone before you're 50! Totally go to law school even though you won't be old enough to socialize during your first semester.

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:06 am

WokeUpInACar wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:As someone who graduated in 3 yrs and went K-JD, know that you will need higher grades than average to compensate for the lack of work experience. If you are on the bubble of that 33% or whatever, its likely not gonna happen.

Yeah I was thinking this as well. I can't imagine firms are going to be jumping over each other to hire a 21 year old at OCI.
I have been working throughout a college and will be working this summer so I do have *some* work experience.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”