Plan to work in NYC!! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Plan to work in NYC!!

Georgetown (COA 195000)
23%
Fordham (97000)
61%
Vandy (118000)
9%
UCLA (114000)
4%
Cardozo (40320)
3%

Total votes: 69

patrickd139

Gold

Re: Plan to work in NYC!!

Post by patrickd139 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:39 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Rlabo wrote:
ph5354a wrote:The issues you raised above have already been addressed by a lot of posters in this thread. It's your life and you are under no obligation to listen to strangers on the internet, but if you didn't want to hear opinions and weren't going to acknowledge the objective facts being stated here, you should not have made a decision thread.

I hate to be this harsh, but you have no birds.
I clearly stated that retake would not be any options i was considering so actually you are completely wrong as know one who replied to this cared to follow the initial instructions laid out. It's fine as I knew I would receive many people saying retake, but I did not anticipate it being THE ENTIRE THREAD, which is not why I made the thread in the first place, but rather to play with options I have not ones I don't.

No birds is a close minded thing to say. You want to say I could have better birds with my numbers or a retake fine, but Fordham vandy and ucla all at steep discounts, Cardozo at a full ride, and georgetown are all birds.
Retake

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Rlabo wrote:
ph5354a wrote:The issues you raised above have already been addressed by a lot of posters in this thread. It's your life and you are under no obligation to listen to strangers on the internet, but if you didn't want to hear opinions and weren't going to acknowledge the objective facts being stated here, you should not have made a decision thread.

I clearly stated that retake would not be any options i was considering so actually you are completely wrong as know one who replied to this cared to follow the initial instructions laid out. It's fine as I knew I would receive many people saying retake, but I did not anticipate it being THE ENTIRE THREAD, which is not why I made the thread in the first place, but rather to play with options I have not ones I don't.

No birds is a close minded thing to say. You want to say I could have better birds with my numbers or a retake fine, but Fordham vandy and ucla all at steep discounts, Cardozo at a full ride, and georgetown are all birds.
Retake is one of your options. And this many people telling you to retake and/or wait a year should tell you how stupidly stubborn you are being.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:45 pm

You didn't address my point. You are underestimating the degree to which your age and inexperience wil hamper you from getting hired. You will need to be a star at these schools to overcome your age. It has nothing to do with how mature you think you are. It has to do with the competition you will face when trying to get a big law job. If you are willing to go in assuming you will be at the top of your class, then go for it. If you are looking at outcomes from median, you will need to factor in the negative impact of your age.

Note this: being younger than your classmates is not a selling point. It will do nothing to help your chances of getting hired. You are not bringing anything extra to the table by being younger.

Also- I think applications will be down next year. The job market is not improving and the information about the reality of the market is slowly getting dispersed.
Last edited by NYstate on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gunnar Stahl

Silver

Post by Gunnar Stahl » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:48 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Rlabo wrote:

Retake

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:48 pm

I really hope OP comes back in 2-3 years and lets us know what happened to him.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pope Francis

New

Post by Pope Francis » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:03 pm

Rlabo wrote:Here is the tricky part. You have to weigh the pros vs. cons of a possible plan to forego school, re-take the LSAT and hope for better results next year. There are a lot of unknowns, for example:

- Will I score better on the LSAT?

- Will the schools which have offered me scholarships be as generous next year?

Yes

A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.
Let's work with the cliche: you have no bird in the hand. Law School is not a bird in the hand. All your birds are in the bush. And the more that are there, the more likely you'd end up with one in your hand. We aren't talking about an actual job here, we are talking about a single shot at getting one. That bush better be stocked.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:07 pm

more importantly, attempting the bush doesn't foreclose the hand. A year off matters an almost negligible amount

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:12 pm

Pope Francis wrote:
Rlabo wrote:Here is the tricky part. You have to weigh the pros vs. cons of a possible plan to forego school, re-take the LSAT and hope for better results next year. There are a lot of unknowns, for example:

- Will I score better on the LSAT?

- Will the schools which have offered me scholarships be as generous next year?

Yes

A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.
Let's work with the cliche: you have no bird in the hand. Law School is not a bird in the hand. All your birds are in the bush. And the more that are there, the more likely you'd end up with one in your hand. We aren't talking about an actual job here, we are talking about a single shot at getting one. That bush better be stocked.
OP looks at life as a student not as a job seeker.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:13 pm

I think you're also underestimating how much a year off can help. True, you're not going to rise to upper management in a year, but holding a real job for a year makes you more mature and also makes you appear more focused.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Saul Goodman

Bronze

Post by Saul Goodman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:17 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:more importantly, attempting the bush doesn't foreclose the hand. A year off matters an almost negligible amount
--ImageRemoved--

This is just about the only bird he's got in his hand.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:31 pm

NYstate wrote:
OP I really think you are underestimating how negative your age is when it comes to legal hiring. Not only are you a K-JD, you are a K-JD who is younger than the rest. Not to mention it's not like you did undergrad in 3 years with a 3.8+, which I think some firms would love. You rushed through school, had a good, but not great GPA, have zero life/real world experience and are going to be attending a school that does not offer incredible job prospects to pay what is being asked. You should really take a year off, grow the fuck up a little bit (firms actually really like this in an interviewee) and apply early and get some better options. Even if you don't retake the correct choice is to take a year off and at least reapply early. If you were do dead set on law school thid year you should have had your apps in day 1.

Also, I cannot stress this enough...get some real life experience.

Pope Francis

New

Post by Pope Francis » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:36 pm

Icculus wrote:
NYstate wrote:
OP I really think you are underestimating how negative your age is when it comes to legal hiring. Not only are you a K-JD, you are a K-JD who is younger than the rest. Not to mention it's not like you did undergrad in 3 years with a 3.8+, which I think some firms would love. You rushed through school, had a good, but not great GPA, have zero life/real world experience and are going to be attending a school that does not offer incredible job prospects to pay what is being asked. You should really take a year off, grow the fuck up a little bit (firms actually really like this in an interviewee) and apply early and get some better options. Even if you don't retake the correct choice is to take a year off and at least reapply early. If you were do dead set on law school thid year you should have had your apps in day 1.

Also, I cannot stress this enough...get some real life experience.
Guys. I hate to say this but I think it's a lost cause. OP is really proud of graduating in 3 years. Sees it as an advantage. Nothing we say is going to change that or force someone like that to "waste" precious time.

stuckinthemiddle

Bronze

Post by stuckinthemiddle » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:55 pm

For what it's worth, I think people would be a little more receptive if posters here were even just a tiny bit nicer and less confrontational.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:06 pm

The fact that every single fucking response has been retake should really tell you something about how much of an idiot you're being right now, OP.
stuckinthemiddle wrote:For what it's worth, I think people would be a little more receptive if posters here were even just a tiny bit nicer and less confrontational.
If that's the issue, good luck in the legal profession.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:06 pm

stuckinthemiddle wrote:For what it's worth, I think people would be a little more receptive if posters here were even just a tiny bit nicer and less confrontational.
Eh, OP wasn't going to listen from the beginning. I'm hoping maybe other people will benefit from some of the advice in this thread.

Pope Francis

New

Post by Pope Francis » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:07 pm

In general, I agree with you. The OP, here, though, wanted people to come along, be impressed with his ability to get into law school at such a young age, and, maybe, help him make a choice. The issue that arose really quickly was that the best choice is the one that's the least impressive: retake and/or work for a year. This effectively insulted OP; he thought he was way ahead of the game. OP didn't want to listen, he wanted to cling to the special snowflake argument and talk about opportunity costs by use of inapt cliches.

In short, this OP never would have been receptive to anything other than "go to x school... well done, by the way, these are great choices! I can't believe you graduated in three years!"

Robespierre

Silver

Post by Robespierre » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:14 pm

OP, I don't understand this part of your post:

"A nice chunk of this debt will be payed off with family help, but I may need to take out some minimal loans to subsidize (don't have exact numbers for this yet)."

Can you even ballpark it for us? How much debt would you have coming out of GULC after family contribution? Or Fordham?

Because, even with your problem of being too young and with no WE, I could get behind GULC with 50K or less in debt, or Fordham with zero debt.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:48 pm

Robespierre wrote:OP, I don't understand this part of your post:

"A nice chunk of this debt will be payed off with family help, but I may need to take out some minimal loans to subsidize (don't have exact numbers for this yet)."

Can you even ballpark it for us? How much debt would you have coming out of GULC after family contribution? Or Fordham?

Because, even with your problem of being too young and with no WE, I could get behind GULC with 50K or less in debt, or Fordham with zero debt.
Fordham would probably be 0 debt, unsure about GULC but prob more than 50

bowser

Bronze

Post by bowser » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:55 pm

In your situation I don't think anyone can say you're making a huge mistake by taking Fordham or Georgetown (I'm assuming that wherever you're getting this money from, it's not a huge drain on them). It's just that you have potential to do so much better.

What really does it for me is that you said you want Biglaw. If you want Biglaw you should go to a school that gives you a good chance of getting it.

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:05 pm

ImNoScar wrote:I think you're also underestimating how much a year off can help. True, you're not going to rise to upper management in a year, but holding a real job for a year makes you more mature and also makes you appear more focused.
Taking a year off may not be a good idea for a few reasons such as getting out of the studying mode and habit that I currently have. Disposable income is likely to make one decide not to go to law school. Going to school is a very different head/life style from working. One could argue that if some1 goes to work and then decides they don't want to go to law school than they don't really want it and shouldn't, and even though i know I want to practice law and don't want to concede that this is a problem I would have, human nature doesn't work like that. I really don't see my age as problem (truth be told ppl are usually surprised by my age fwiw) as yes one can look at it as young inexperienced and immature but another can see young driven and tenacious, it's how it's marketed at that point. For whoever said I shouldn't be mad from people saying retake, your right, but that's not what would upset me. It's more of degradIng comments that make no argument but just rely on appeals to emotion or whatever authority u think u may have E.G. Calling me an idiot and saying retake is a dumb post. Saying its a poor decision because of xyz you should retake is more than acceptable. I haven't been rude or nasty to any1 so thera no reason for that.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:05 pm

YOU specified you want biglaw, but haven't been accepted to any consistent biglaw feeder schools; of course people are saying retake! At the very least you need to reapply early, and frankly if you're going to sit out, you should retake any way. You applied late as a borderline candidate to feeder schools... This is the single most important decision of your life, don't blow it.

Sincerely,
Guy who begrudgingly sat out two cycles, and is now looking at much better options.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:09 pm

Rlabo wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:I think you're also underestimating how much a year off can help. True, you're not going to rise to upper management in a year, but holding a real job for a year makes you more mature and also makes you appear more focused.
Taking a year off may not be a good idea for a few reasons such as getting out of the studying mode and habit that I currently have. Disposable income is likely to make one decide not to go to law school. Going to school is a very different head/life style from working. One could argue that if some1 goes to work and then decides they don't want to go to law school than they don't really want it and shouldn't, and even though i know I want to practice law and don't want to concede that this is a problem I would have, human nature doesn't work like that. I really don't see my age as problem (truth be told ppl are usually surprised by my age fwiw) as yes one can look at it as young inexperienced and immature but another can see young driven and tenacious, it's how it's marketed at that point. For whoever said I shouldn't be mad from people saying retake, your right, but that's not what would upset me. It's more of degradIng comments that make no argument but just rely on appeals to emotion or whatever authority u think u may have E.G. Calling me an idiot and saying retake is a dumb post. Saying its a poor decision because of xyz you should retake is more than acceptable. I haven't been rude or nasty to any1 so thera no reason for that.
You should stop talking, and start listening. You have 40 people telling you the right thing to do, and you are the ONLY one who doesn't see it. You have got to realize that the odds that your too attached to going this year are way higher than the odds that the 40 of us are wrong.

NONE OF THOSE SCHOOLS PLACE WELL IN BIGLAW. IF YOU WANT BIGLAW, YOU NEED TO REAPPLY.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:16 pm

If you're dead set on going this year, OP, I would absolutely consider Cornell off the WL if you get in. If you haven't already, submit an LOCI and do a visit. Even with no scholarship, that's by far your best bet at big law. Good luck!

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:20 pm

ph5354a wrote:If you're dead set on going this year, OP, I would absolutely consider Cornell off the WL if you get in. If you haven't already, submit an LOCI and do a visit. Even with no scholarship, that's by far your best bet at big law. Good luck!
Submitted a loci, have a 5th lor being sent and am going to figure out a time to visit. Currently taking 20 credits so I need to find a day that works with my sched but I'm free Fridays so that may be a good time to try to schedule and appt.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:20 pm

OP: I'm telling you right now that you are wrong if you think big law will see you as some great tenacious kid. You see yourself that way. Big law doesn't care. Grades and school and work experience matter. These schools are not going to get you where you want to go.

If you don't believe me ask some of the other big law people who post here. Get their input as to the effect of your being young. Or start another thread asking for opinions about getting big law given your circumstances.

Why are you so afraid of taking another year and applying correctly? Or taking the test again? I think there is more here than you have explained for you to remain so stuck in your impressions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”