(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UC Irvine vs. UC Davis?

UCI
70%
UC Davis
30%

Total votes: 63

Meepo

Re: UC Irvine vs. UC Davis?

Postby Meepo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:59 am

ChaseInk wrote:
Lasers wrote:
ChaseInk wrote:Despite the TLS wisdom, UCI places as well as USC in big law. The first class's numbers were low in big law because a disproportionate number of those grads compared to other schools went into PI. As it stands now, the Class of 2013 will have a higher % of grads going into big law than Class of 2012. Class of 2014 has somewhere between 25-30 people going to big law SA positions (CDO hasn't given us the full results from Spring OCI yet).

hahahaha.

so you're saying UCI places as well as USC/UCLA? even with UCI's tiny class size, that isn't true. it certainly won't be true once UCI's class size rapidly expands.

Also, I'm glad you're so versed in UCI's admissions strategy. As Chem and Dean Austin have said, the plan is to keep the class size at 120 for a few years.

Another perfect example of the baseless TLS hate for UCI.

dude can't do math and is a troll, don't feed him

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:20 am

ChaseInk wrote:
Lasers wrote:
ChaseInk wrote:Despite the TLS wisdom, UCI places as well as USC in big law. The first class's numbers were low in big law because a disproportionate number of those grads compared to other schools went into PI. As it stands now, the Class of 2013 will have a higher % of grads going into big law than Class of 2012. Class of 2014 has somewhere between 25-30 people going to big law SA positions (CDO hasn't given us the full results from Spring OCI yet).

hahahaha.

so you're saying UCI places as well as USC/UCLA? even with UCI's tiny class size, that isn't true. it certainly won't be true once UCI's class size rapidly expands.

Also, I'm glad you're so versed in UCI's admissions strategy. As Chem and Dean Austin have said, the plan is to keep the class size at 120 for a few years.

Another perfect example of the baseless TLS hate for UCI.

everything you have said is based on conjecture. i think it's far too early for you to be making claims like UCI places as well as a school like USC/UCLA when:

1. the fact is out of a class of only 56, UCI only placed 13 in big firms for 2012. it is entirely possible, as you've asserted, that self-selection may have played a role, but that is conjecture and largely difficult to prove. you should wait until the hard numbers are released next year rather than make unsubstantiated conclusions.
2. biglaw hiring fluctuates year to year, so it's hard to gauge how schools will do. even further, the fact UCI hasn't even reached the projected class size of 120 yet means UCI is still largely an unknown until we've seen how it will place at that size for a few years. the hypothetical class of 120 is over 50% larger than the class of 2012 and is over a third larger than the class of 2013. my guess is as good as yours how that will affect placement. you can say whatever you want regarding UCI's future placement, but that won't change the fact no will believe you and give a fuck.

i know it's hard, but please resist the urge to make crazy conclusions until you have any evidence to back it up. it's silly.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:27 am

This is getting ludicrous. Someone with 25 post count calling someone with 1600 a troll?

Like I've said before, I had no reason to dislike UCI until I heard the insanity of people who defend it. Now I know it must be an awful school.

Meepo

Postby Meepo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:27 am

Micdiddy wrote:This is getting ludicrous. Someone with 25 post count calling someone with 1600 a troll?

Like I've said before, I had no reason to dislike UCI until I heard the insanity of people who defend it. Now I know it must be an awful school.

it absolutely is awful, not to mention it is also at the ghetto part of the city, kinda overall dangerous environment and mediocre education at best. personally, even in the area, i'd prefer chapman

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:51 am

Meepo wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:This is getting ludicrous. Someone with 25 post count calling someone with 1600 a troll?

it absolutely is awful, not to mention it is also at the ghetto part of the city, kinda overall dangerous environment and mediocre education at best. personally, even in the area, i'd prefer chapman

Back to Chapman > UCI now Liquid? And why'd you stick with the alt account after the alting ban?

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:12 am

Lasers wrote:so you're saying UCI places as well as USC/UCLA? even with UCI's tiny class size, that isn't true. it certainly won't be true once UCI's class size rapidly expands.

Lasers wrote:i know it's hard, but please resist the urge to make crazy conclusions until you have any evidence to back it up. it's silly.

Doesn't it seem a bit hypocritical to admonish a pro-UCI poster for making positive conclusions based on limited data, but then in the same post, make negative conclusions based on conjecture?

Post count is no indicator of quality. Some of the most thoughtful posters I've seen only post a few times to drop some substantive knowledge. Some 1,000+ posters are Dr. Dre.

Seems to me that the level of insanity of the people who defend Irvine is dwarfed by the single-minded disdain for those who hate UCI, the quantity of whom vastly outnumbers the white-knight posters.

Meepo

Postby Meepo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:19 am

Cobretti wrote:
Meepo wrote:

Back to Chapman > UCI now Liquid? And why'd you stick with the alt account after the alting ban?

i no longer have an alt account, the liquid account has been banned, and the only reason the liquid account was created was because meepo was temporarily banned. i was accused of trolling for the temp ban, but i am not, u and some others may disagree with me, but i am sincere in what i believe

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:26 pm

everything you have said is based on conjecture.

Ya think?

(This whole thread is based on conjecture. Indeed, that is why the OP solicited opinions.)

Doh!

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:32 pm

Meepo wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
Meepo wrote:

i no longer have an alt account, the liquid account has been banned, and the only reason the liquid account was created was because meepo was temporarily banned. i was accused of trolling for the temp ban, but i am not, u and some others may disagree with me, but i am sincere in what i believe

Okay. except you are a total troll, and on the same page of any given thread, you contradict yourself several times.

Also, UCI is in one of the top twenty highest home value zip codes in the country. It is the opposite of a ghetto, it is a pristine planned community. Irvine was voted the safest city in the country the past 3 years. The university is known for providing one of the greatest qualities of life, which is how it attracts faculty above the level of its student body, which is admittedly mediocre.

You have clearly never been to irvine. its incredibly affluent and safe. you should probably be re-banned for posting the above

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:34 pm

USC >>>>>>>UCI>>>UCD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Chapman.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:36 pm

OP, I would suggest living in Laguna Beach and commuting to school. If you're gonna go to debtors prison after graduating, you might as well live it up for your three years in school.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:38 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
You have clearly never been to irvine. its incredibly affluent and safe. you should probably be re-banned for posting the above

He probably thinks its "ghetto" cause theres too many Asians there. Or maybe he's confusing it with Santa ana

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:42 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:USC >>>>>>>UCI>>>UCD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cooley>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Chapman.

I fixed that for Liquid/Meepo.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:55 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Okay. except you are a total troll, and on the same page of any given thread, you contradict yourself several times.

Also, UCI is in one of the top twenty highest home value zip codes in the country. It is the opposite of a ghetto, it is a pristine planned community. Irvine was voted the safest city in the country the past 3 years. The university is known for providing one of the greatest qualities of life, which is how it attracts faculty above the level of its student body, which is admittedly mediocre.

On top of that its actually in the nicest part of Irvine, since it is less than a mile from the Newport Beach border.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:05 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
Lasers wrote:so you're saying UCI places as well as USC/UCLA? even with UCI's tiny class size, that isn't true. it certainly won't be true once UCI's class size rapidly expands.

Lasers wrote:i know it's hard, but please resist the urge to make crazy conclusions until you have any evidence to back it up. it's silly.

Doesn't it seem a bit hypocritical to admonish a pro-UCI poster for making positive conclusions based on limited data, but then in the same post, make negative conclusions based on conjecture?

Post count is no indicator of quality. Some of the most thoughtful posters I've seen only post a few times to drop some substantive knowledge. Some 1,000+ posters are Dr. Dre.

Seems to me that the level of insanity of the people who defend Irvine is dwarfed by the single-minded disdain for those who hate UCI, the quantity of whom vastly outnumbers the white-knight posters.

Dr. Dre is by far a more thoughtful poster than any UCI white knight.

And you aren't considering the cause and effect: I had open-minded disdain (not really disdain, just rational skepticism that UCI would become a good school) for UCI, as I think many others did, UNTIL all the unwarranted praise and "UCI>USC" nonsense and white knighting started. Then, I shrewdly determined the students there are desperate for approval and recognition and doth protest too much, which soured my taste for the school as a whole. I don't mind students defending their school or finding qualities they personally like, but the UCI posters choose flawed reasoning purposefully (and in rather poor taste, considering this website is partially dedicated to spotting such flaws).

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:09 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote:

And you aren't considering the cause and effect: I had open-minded disdain (not really disdain, just rational skepticism that UCI would become a good school) for UCI, as I think many others did, UNTIL all the unwarranted praise and "UCI>USC" nonsense and white knighting started. Then, I shrewdly determined the students there are desperate for approval and recognition and doth protest too much, which soured my taste for the school as a whole. I don't mind students defending their school or finding qualities they personally like, but the UCI posters choose flawed reasoning purposefully (and in rather poor taste, considering this website is partially dedicated to spotting such flaws).

admit it diddy.... you're white knighting Davis cause you went there for UG 8)

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:14 pm

Cobretti wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote:

admit it diddy.... you're white knighting Davis cause you went there for UG 8)

Davis sucks man :oops:

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:19 pm

Except that the good doctor has ONLY posted his/her opinion on UCI (utter disdain)....but his/her opinion is just that, and no better than anyone else's opinion.

Regardless of what any of us (including the so-called, 'thoughtful' poster) have to post about UCI (or Davis and every other LS not named YLS), it is ALL conjecture and opinion since we will be guessing what will happen in '16.
Last edited by Big Dog on Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:19 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Dr. Dre is by far a more thoughtful poster than any UCI white knight.

^How your "more thoughtful poster" usually responds.

And more importantly, what makes UCI supporters' logic so reprehensible? So far, the only fault I can find is that they extrapolate too much out of one year of hard employment data and anecdotal evidence from their own experiences on campus. Hardly a cardinal sin, hardly uncommon to other schools/supporters, and even if it were, hardly worthy of your overreaction to it. Frankly, I think that's much better than the haters who base their conclusions on no data, then mock anyone who tries to actually find out whether Irvine is the real deal or not. I could probably showcase three illogical UCI-hating, bordering-on-trolling posters for each overzealous UCI advocate. If your quest for logic is forcing you to disdain UCI supporters, where's your hatred for those who drink the Kool-Aid going the other way?

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:25 pm

I was in the lab working on Detox and heard about the load of crap going on in this thread. OP, let me make things clear:

1. Go to UC Davis; UC eye is a shit school

2. Sure, Irvine is affluent but who cares. Graduating from UCI law will not give you the income necessary to purchase a home in that area. Irvine, on the whole though, is extremely boring. The only thing decent about that city is Irvine Spectrum. But it still feels "cookie-cutter." Further, COL just by going to UCI is insane.

3. Newport Beach is nice, but it gets raided with tourists, especially during 4th of July. So it ends up having that "Disneyland" feel as opposed to that comfortable and small city feel. Buying a home there is ridiculous. Most likely, you will end up living in a shit apartment in Santa Ana.

4. Don't get screwed by Chem and his lavish plans to make UCI a T20 or whatever program. This is all BS.

5. We don't hate UCI, we inform people when they are considering terrible decisions.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:28 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:5. We don't hate UCI, we inform people when they are considering terrible decisions.

why not?

Any new law school deserves hate. The students are ok, dont get me wrong. But whoever came up with the idea needs to go fuck himself.
Last edited by Borhas on Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prāna

Postby prāna » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:29 pm

Last edited by prāna on Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:29 pm

prāna wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
I was in the lab working on Detox and heard about the load of crap going on in this thread. OP, let me make things clear:

2. Sure, Irvine is affluent but who cares. Graduating from UCI law will not give you the income necessary to purchase a home in that area. Irvine, on the whole though, is extremely boring. The only thing decent about that city is Irvine Spectrum. But it still feels "cookie-cutter." Further, COL just by going to UCI is insane.

3. Newport Beach is nice, but it gets raided with tourists, especially during 4th of July. So it ends up having that "Disneyland" feel as opposed to that comfortable and small city feel. Buying a home there is ridiculous. Most likely, you will end up living in a shit apartment in Santa Ana.

4. Don't get screwed by Chem and his lavish plans to make UCI a T20 or whatever program. This is all BS.

5. We don't hate UCI, we inform people when they are considering terrible decisions.

pure shit.

At least he's dependable

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:32 pm

On the other hand the cougar hunting will be much better at UCI compared to UCD, if that's important to you :wink:

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:33 pm

prāna wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:

pure shit.

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Choosing a Law School”