(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UC Irvine vs. UC Davis?

UCI
70%
UC Davis
30%

Total votes: 63

vanwinkle

Re: UC Irvine vs. UC Davis?

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:35 pm

enigmabk wrote:Go to UCI and smang all the oc milfs with bleached assholes, can davis top that?

This is not okay in the on-topics, for those few dumb enough to not know this already.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:12 pm

Driving from Newport/Irvine to la area is very ambiguous since los angeles is composed of towns in very disparate areas, even weekday evenings.

Irvine -> LA Live/Staples Center/USC can be a 40 minute drive w/ new toll roads on the 110.

Irvine -> Santa Monica is 1 hour 15 minutes minimum, probably 1.5+ hr depending on 10W traffic in la brea

Irvine -> south bay (hermosa ect.) is 50 min to 1 hr on weekdays after 6:30pm, honestly doable

Irvine -> Belair/UCLA just blows. could be 2 hours on the average weekday.

Irvine -> WeHo huge range, could make it in 50 minutes, could be 1.5 hours.

In short, driving is a bitch in los angeles, but irvine is within LA's suburban "orbit" and its a reasonable weekly or biweekly activity for dinner/games/clubs/concerts. San Diego is a different ballgame; the drive is basically 1.5 hours even with no traffic and people don't consider it a nearby location. Irvine is boring but there are plenty of opportunities to get to los angeles and long beach and do cool shit evenings and wkends.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:17 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Driving from Newport/Irvine to la area is very ambiguous since los angeles is composed of towns in very disparate areas, even weekday evenings.

Irvine -> LA Live/Staples Center/USC can be a 40 minute drive w/ new toll roads on the 110.

Irvine -> Santa Monica is 1 hour 15 minutes minimum, probably 1.5+ hr depending on 10W traffic in la brea

Irvine -> south bay (hermosa ect.) is 50 min to 1 hr on weekdays after 6:30pm, honestly doable

Irvine -> Belair/UCLA just blows. could be 2 hours on the average weekday.

Irvine -> WeHo huge range, could make it in 50 minutes, could be 1.5 hours.

In short, driving is a bitch in los angeles, but irvine is within LA's suburban "orbit" and its a reasonable weekly or biweekly activity for dinner/games/clubs/concerts. San Diego is a different ballgame; the drive is basically 1.5 hours even with no traffic and people don't consider it a nearby location. Irvine is boring but there are plenty of opportunities to get to los angeles and long beach and do cool shit evenings and wkends.

SD from irvine on weekends can be under 1.5 hours. but yeah, i agree with all those estimates.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:37 pm

worldtraveler wrote:I wish there was a way to have a post minimum in order to post in a UCI thread. There are way too many low count posters who exclusively post in UCI threads.

I am one of them. I don't exclusively post in UCI related threads, but pretty close to it. I don't have much to add about anywhere else. I don't spend much time on here. Most of my activity is seeing what is being said about UCI or answering questions about UCI. Some of my other posts are anonymous career related posts. I may have a few on other boards, but I just don't spend much time on here.

Is there a reason you should need a post minimum to post on a UCI thread? Is there a reason current UCI students shouldn't make themselves available to answer UCI related questions or give feedback on their experience at the school without having to spend a lot of other time on here, which as some of you know can be a big time sink if you let it?

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:54 pm

--ImageRemoved--

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:35 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Big Dog wrote:hey zuck, if we locked every thread that had arguing, TLS would cease to exist. :mrgreen:

True, true. But it's the same stuff every time UCI is mentioned and I don't know what purpose it serves at this point. It's the same screaming match every time.

And yet you still click on a thread titled UC Irvine vs. UC Davis and feel compelled to comment, furthering the length and continuity of the thread. Where is you sense of agency? Is something or someone forcing you to look at a particular thread and engage in it. It's not like the thread said something like newport beach bikini babes and then you clicked it and were sorely disappointed to see no shots of bikini babes and saw this discussion instead.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:37 pm

If you said you wanted to work in Nor Cal, then there might be an argument to consider Davis over Irvine. Given that you mentioned ties to So Cal, I would say pick Irvine. I do think we will place better than Davis, but that is based on my class and the 1st class. Nothing is guaranteed. But we are definitely establishing a solid reputation among So Cal firms and employers.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:01 pm

uci2013 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Big Dog wrote:hey zuck, if we locked every thread that had arguing, TLS would cease to exist. :mrgreen:

True, true. But it's the same stuff every time UCI is mentioned and I don't know what purpose it serves at this point. It's the same screaming match every time.

And yet you still click on a thread titled UC Irvine vs. UC Davis and feel compelled to comment, furthering the length and continuity of the thread. Where is you sense of agency? Is something or someone forcing you to look at a particular thread and engage in it. It's not like the thread said something like newport beach bikini babes and then you clicked it and were sorely disappointed to see no shots of bikini babes and saw this discussion instead.

Me sense of urgency? ME sense of urgency? How dare yous!

Seriously though, I'm down with a UCD versus UCI thread. I also could see UCI being a good option (although in general I think it's not). It's just that I think that 4 pages of arguing about why UCI is a TTT is pointless. It's the same sides arguing with each other every couple of days.

Meepo

Postby Meepo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:10 pm

do you guys think UCI fabricated employment statistics? it seems a little higher than what i expected

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:28 pm

Meepo wrote:do you guys think UCI fabricated employment statistics? it seems a little higher than what i expected

Get over it

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:31 pm

do you guys think UCI fabricated employment statistics? it seems a little higher than what i expected

There was no need when you think about it. It's a small class, so UCI does not have many to place.

Dean Chem is a rock star of Con Law, and has plenty of friends, particularly Judges. Every law prof he recruits at least pays lip service to making calls on behalf of students. In essence, part of their own professional prestige it to get UCI ranked as high as possible. Big Law in OC, such that it is, has committed to hiring UCI grads.

Of course, the unknown for the '16's is how much employment drop off will occur as the class size increases significantly.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed May 01, 2013 12:54 am

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu May 02, 2013 2:42 pm

Dr. Dre would like to apologize if he offended anyone in the previous post. It was an overreaction and Dr. Dre will not engage in that type of palaver anymore.

Meepo

Postby Meepo » Thu May 02, 2013 3:00 pm

welcome back dre, we all missed you

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Thu May 02, 2013 6:16 pm

eeeeewwww

Me don't like the new, Dr. Dre. The former self, was much more fun!

gitguy

Postby gitguy » Fri May 03, 2013 7:13 pm

Meepo wrote:welcome back dre, we all missed you

Speak for yourself.

prāna

Postby prāna » Fri May 03, 2013 7:25 pm

gitguy wrote:
Meepo wrote:welcome back dre, we all missed you

Speak for yourself.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”