Social Enterprise Biz Counsel - Biglaw 1st?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
DougieFresh
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:26 pm

Social Enterprise Biz Counsel - Biglaw 1st?

Postby DougieFresh » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:45 pm

Objective: found my own firm/biz incubator or form a department within a firm devoted to social enterprise and non-profit start ups using business models to achieve material positive gains on society, community, or environment 3-5 years after graduating law school.

Question: Is biglaw the best route to gain the skills and experience in organizational structures, taxation, mergers and acquisitions, transactions to be able to offer a valuable service to social enterprise and non profit start ups? Could I gain this kind of experience at a smaller firm, and if so, what size? 2-10, 10-25, 25-50?

Issues: UGPA 3.26 which may become LSACGPA 2.9 depending on a petition I've filed with UG to expunge courses retaken from my transcript, as both retake and original grades are tallied by LSAC. Current LSAT score of 158 (nominal studying), devoting full time 3 months to study for October & December LSAT using methods shared here. Side note: because of this forum, I did not apply '13 cycle with a 2.9/158. So thanks.

If biglaw is going to be the best route to develop the kinds of skills that would be essential for me being able to offer a valuable service to social entrepreneurs, then I will need to be looking at splitter friendly schools (Northwestern comes to mind) with strong biglaw placement. If, on the other hand, I can gain that kind of experience in small firms, I'd be more interested in attending a lower ranked strong regional school with $$$$ in the markets I'd be interested in practicing.

Ultimately, to the clients I will be serving, they won't distinguish if I went to a school ranked nr. 30 or unranked, but more on my ability to deliver results and on what fees I can afford to charge. And that comes down to the quality of experience and training I can get in the first few years out of law school, assuming I get a job :shock:
Last edited by DougieFresh on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Social Enterprise Biz Consultancy - Biglaw 1st?

Postby dr123 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:46 pm

um if this is your goal dont go to ls. a better route would be like, WE --> MBA --> Social Entrepreneurship fellowship

User avatar
DougieFresh
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:26 pm

Re: Social Enterprise Biz Consultancy - Biglaw 1st?

Postby DougieFresh » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:55 pm

dr123 wrote:um if this is your goal dont go to ls. a better route would be like, WE --> MBA --> Social Entrepreneurship fellowship


I'm currently interning in the legal social entrepreneurship space, and this is where my passion lies. I'm nearly 4 years out of university with WE (non profit, peace corps, legal foundation) and genuinely enjoy reading and studying developments in social entrepreneurship law. The other night I stayed up reading eBay vs. Newmark to better understand the significance of Delaware proposing Benefit Corporation Legislation. I get excited by the law and how it can be used to help people change the world, and while I do consider myself an entrepreneur, I am not drawn to study business the way I am to study business law.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Social Enterprise Biz Consultancy - Biglaw 1st?

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:00 pm

DougieFresh wrote:
dr123 wrote:um if this is your goal dont go to ls. a better route would be like, WE --> MBA --> Social Entrepreneurship fellowship


I'm currently interning in the legal social entrepreneurship space, and this is where my passion lies. I'm nearly 4 years out of university with WE (non profit, peace corps, legal foundation) and genuinely enjoy reading and studying developments in social entrepreneurship law. The other night I stayed up reading eBay vs. Newmark to better understand the significance of Delaware proposing Benefit Corporation Legislation. I get excited by the law and how it can be used to help people change the world, and while I do consider myself an entrepreneur, I am not drawn to study business the way I am to study business law.


Reading Supreme Court cases is nothing like actual law especially transactional/corporate law. If you get excited about them it means you'll be a good law professor or good appellate clerk.

You can't gain that kind of experience in small firms because there aren't a lot of small firms that do the work, it's simply not very profitable to center a firm around. There are "boutiques" but they usually require biglaw grades/school, or a few years of experience at a biglaw firm. Biglaw is definitely necessary.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Social Enterprise Biz Consultancy - Biglaw 1st?

Postby Clearly » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:03 pm

You would need a heck of an LSAT score to get into a big law feeder school. Good luck.

User avatar
DougieFresh
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:26 pm

Re: Social Enterprise Biz Consultancy - Biglaw 1st?

Postby DougieFresh » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:08 pm

To clarify, I'm not saying that I envision my legal career arguing before the Court of Chancery in Delaware about how craigslist should be free of eBay's evil money mongering tactics. My objective is to provide economical and highly effective legal services for passionate clients setting up their organizational structures, employee contracts, taxation, and other legal needs a small business may have. Understanding that there is not much money working with these clients, I may need to take work in exchange for equity, practice as a virtual firm to reduce expenses, and potentially operating as a non-profit for debt forgiveness.

My question remains, what is the best way to develop legal experience in small business counseling?

User avatar
DougieFresh
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:26 pm

Re: Social Enterprise Biz Consultancy - Biglaw 1st?

Postby DougieFresh » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:12 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:You would need a heck of an LSAT score to get into a big law feeder school. Good luck.


172+ for Northwestern from what I've seen on LawSchoolNumbers for 2.9 GPA. The 2 year program may have more relaxed entrance requirements. My goal is to score that high, but the question remains...

Could I feasibly develop a strong toolkit of legal skills to serve small businesses going to a regional school in my target market working for a small firm? medium sized firm?

Anyone with experience working with small businesses your advice would be much appreciated!

User avatar
deuceindc
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Social Enterprise Biz Consultancy - Biglaw 1st?

Postby deuceindc » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:14 pm

DougieFresh wrote:My question remains, what is the best way to develop legal experience in small business counseling?


Work as a paralegal for a law firm that does small biz/startup counseling.

Or work for a startup directly. Or work for an incubator/support group that handles this stuff. I honestly don't know how the business/legal interactions go down for small businesses, but find out who does the legal end and work for them.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Social Enterprise Biz Consultancy - Biglaw 1st?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:46 pm

DougieFresh wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:You would need a heck of an LSAT score to get into a big law feeder school. Good luck.


172+ for Northwestern from what I've seen on LawSchoolNumbers for 2.9 GPA. The 2 year program may have more relaxed entrance requirements. My goal is to score that high, but the question remains...

Could I feasibly develop a strong toolkit of legal skills to serve small businesses going to a regional school in my target market working for a small firm? medium sized firm?

Anyone with experience working with small businesses your advice would be much appreciated!


Northwestern does have an entrepreneurship clinic you can work in too.

BalanceCare
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:56 pm

Re: Social Enterprise Biz Counsel - Biglaw 1st?

Postby BalanceCare » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:18 pm

You seem like a talented and driven person, the type who can create interesting work no matter where he/she ends end up (law school or elsewhere). I do believe that, so please don't take my next observation personally: the amount of energy that you're putting into your posts in this thread (as if to demonstrate that you have what it takes to make an impact) would be better spent studying for your retake. I say that as a non-traditional applicant whose serious attention to a retake ended up paying off very well. Pm if you want to talk. Good luck!

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Social Enterprise Biz Counsel - Biglaw 1st?

Postby IAFG » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:35 pm

NU entrepreneurship clinic -> Fenwick & West -> ??? -> profit

User avatar
sambeber
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Social Enterprise Biz Counsel - Biglaw 1st?

Postby sambeber » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:45 pm

Contact some of the firms in § 6 of this resource guide and ask?

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm? ... wnload=yes

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Social Enterprise Biz Consultancy - Biglaw 1st?

Postby PRgradBYU » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:13 pm

DougieFresh wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:You would need a heck of an LSAT score to get into a big law feeder school. Good luck.


172+ for Northwestern from what I've seen on LawSchoolNumbers for 2.9 GPA.


You may even need a higher LSAT than that. An applicant with a sub-3.0 GPA is prone to an incredibly unpredictable cycle.

User avatar
DougieFresh
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:26 pm

Re: Social Enterprise Biz Counsel - Biglaw 1st?

Postby DougieFresh » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:38 pm

sambeber wrote:Contact some of the firms in § 6 of this resource guide and ask?

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm? ... wnload=yes


Thanks for sharing!




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest