Worth appealing? NYU/Columbia, deadline is tomorrow.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Worth appealing? NYU/Columbia, deadline is tomorrow.

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:12 pm

Hey all,

In March, I got an offer for 50k from NYU, with the condition that I respond by 4/22. I hadn't heard back from CLS financial aid by then, so I requested and recieved an extension until 4/26.

Just got my CLS aid back - 85k.

I'd prefer CLS. Morningside Heights is more my pace; the village is awesome, but I don't think I'd want to live there. I'd be able to live in housing at CLS, and I can't do that at NYU for various reasons. I don't have any real interest in PI, and that seems like NYU's only professional advantage.

I'm wondering - is it worth it/possible to appeal these and play them off of each other, in the span of a day? Or should I just deposit CLS and not look back? Am I missing out on potential money, or would it just be rude and a waste of their time (especially NYU's, since my endgoal isn't to go there) to try for last-minute negotiation? Has anyone had success with this on a short timespan?

User avatar
untar614
Posts: 646
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: Worth appealing? NYU/Columbia, deadline is tomorrow.

Postby untar614 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:28 pm

If you have time and nothing better to do, you can try - can't see any harm. However, I suspect NYU might be willing to match, or at best give just a little more. I doubt they would give substantially more that would be enough to leverage more from CLS. They might also say ur stuck with just 50k. But I don't see any reason not to try if you care to put the effort. Enjoy CLS regardless.

ETA: when did you submit your financial aid forms? I'm still waiting on financial aid from CLS and the deposit deadline is coming up. though to be fair they did get my forms less than a week ago.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Worth appealing? NYU/Columbia, deadline is tomorrow.

Postby Lavitz » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:32 pm

You're not going to get any more than 85K at Columbia since that would mean you're getting more than the people who received Butlers--at least, I've never seen anyone get an award between Butler and Hamilton levels. If you wouldn't attend NYU even if they matched Columbia's offer, I would just deposit at Columbia and never look back.

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Worth appealing? NYU/Columbia, deadline is tomorrow.

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:35 pm

untar614 wrote:If you have time and nothing better to do, you can try - can't see any harm. However, I suspect NYU might be willing to match, or at best give just a little more. I doubt they would give substantially more that would be enough to leverage more from CLS. They might also say ur stuck with just 50k. But I don't see any reason not to try if you care to put the effort. Enjoy CLS regardless.

ETA: when did you submit your financial aid forms? I'm still waiting on financial aid from CLS and the deposit deadline is coming up. though to be fair they did get my forms less than a week ago.


Yea, that's what I was thinking. I've heard CLS doesn't really care what other schools give, too, unless those schools are Harvard. Mostly I was wondering if anyone had experience with last-minute negotiations - every time I hear about people doing it it seems to be over the span of a couple weeks. And thanks!

I submitted them all in early March - mostly everything was done by the deadline, but I had to file for a parental waiver, which meant tracking down evidence, which meant it was a bit late. I called them and told them about the 4/26 deadline on Monday, and they made a note of it and said they'd email the info instead of mailing it.

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Worth appealing? NYU/Columbia, deadline is tomorrow.

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:35 pm

Lavitz wrote:You're not going to get any more than 85K at Columbia since that would mean you're getting more than the people who received Butlers--at least, I've never seen anyone get an award between Butler and Hamilton levels. If you wouldn't attend NYU even if they matched Columbia's offer, I would just deposit at Columbia and never look back.


Oh, is that the Butler level? That's good info - thanks. Yea, I really doubt they are going to bump me up to a Hamilton level :D

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Worth appealing? NYU/Columbia, deadline is tomorrow.

Postby Lavitz » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:44 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:Oh, is that the Butler level? That's good info - thanks. Yea, I really doubt they are going to bump me up to a Hamilton level :D

Yeah, the people who received Butlers this cycle are putting either 87K or 87.5K on their LSNs. Then there are people like you who got 85K. If you look at LSN from previous cycles, it's always Hamilton amount-->Butler amount-->lower offers. So they'd have to completely break with tradition to negotiate up to something like 105K.

And pacifica's interactions with Columbia earlier in the cycle pretty much confirmed that nobody's getting a Hamilton if it wasn't awarded in their initial acceptance.

With that said, congrats on the Columbia offer! You should feel really good about it. :)

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Worth appealing? NYU/Columbia, deadline is tomorrow.

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:50 pm

Lavitz wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:Oh, is that the Butler level? That's good info - thanks. Yea, I really doubt they are going to bump me up to a Hamilton level :D

Yeah, the people who received Butlers this cycle are putting either 87K or 87.5K on their LSNs. Then there are people like you who got 85K. If you look at LSN from previous cycles, it's always Hamilton amount-->Butler amount-->lower offers. So they'd have to completely break with tradition to negotiate up to something like 105K.

And pacifica's interactions with Columbia earlier in the cycle pretty much confirmed that nobody's getting a Hamilton if it wasn't awarded in their initial acceptance.

With that said, congrats on the Columbia offer! You should feel really good about it. :)


Thanks! I was definitely not expecting it, and it makes my decision so much easier.

User avatar
untar614
Posts: 646
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: Worth appealing? NYU/Columbia, deadline is tomorrow.

Postby untar614 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:17 pm

oh, Columbia doesn't go above 87.5k except for hamiltons? that's disappointing. I was hoping I could negotiate/retake for maybe 105k. Oh well, just gotta wait and see what they offer and maybe make a tough decision.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Worth appealing? NYU/Columbia, deadline is tomorrow.

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:47 pm

DAMNNNN SON $85$ is crazy money at CLS. Why are you even asking this?

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Worth appealing? NYU/Columbia, deadline is tomorrow.

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:50 pm

Just deposit. Congrats.

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Worth appealing? NYU/Columbia, deadline is tomorrow.

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:13 pm

jbagelboy wrote:DAMNNNN SON $85$ is crazy money at CLS. Why are you even asking this?


Ahhh I don't know! I know it is very good for there, but it's still like 200k debt at graduation and I am scared.

Thanks, though, all. I am going to deposit tomorrow. I guess I could do it now but I don't want to feel like I'm rushing it, even though there's nothing that could conceivably change my decision.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Worth appealing? NYU/Columbia, deadline is tomorrow.

Postby Nelson » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:17 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:DAMNNNN SON $85$ is crazy money at CLS. Why are you even asking this?


Ahhh I don't know! I know it is very good for there, but it's still like 200k debt at graduation and I am scared.

Thanks, though, all. I am going to deposit tomorrow. I guess I could do it now but I don't want to feel like I'm rushing it, even though there's nothing that could conceivably change my decision.

How is that 200k at graduation with 85k in scholarship? You should only have like 120k in principal at graduation. Even if that was all GradPlus at 7.8% you'd be at way less than 200k with the interest.

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Worth appealing? NYU/Columbia, deadline is tomorrow.

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:45 pm

Nelson wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:DAMNNNN SON $85$ is crazy money at CLS. Why are you even asking this?


Ahhh I don't know! I know it is very good for there, but it's still like 200k debt at graduation and I am scared.

Thanks, though, all. I am going to deposit tomorrow. I guess I could do it now but I don't want to feel like I'm rushing it, even though there's nothing that could conceivably change my decision.

How is that 200k at graduation with 85k in scholarship? You should only have like 120k in principal at graduation. Even if that was all GradPlus at 7.8% you'd be at way less than 200k with the interest.


Idk, that's what both the GTown calculator and the one on here said. I have little savings and basically no parental contribution (hence 85k of need-based aid). CLS official CoA is like 83k next year.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Worth appealing? NYU/Columbia, deadline is tomorrow.

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:04 pm

No. Take $85k at Columbia and enjoy.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], obx, Wipfelder and 4 guests