Need help deciding!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Help me choose!

UM @ 30k tuition and maybe 25-30 more in rent
59%
UF @ 90 total COA
24%
FSU @ 90 total COA
3%
BC @ 150 total COA
14%

Total votes: 29

sflyr2016

Re: Need help deciding!

Postby sflyr2016 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:50 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
joeant wrote:
qwertyboard wrote:

out of 10 of your classmates, 3 will get the job you want...
[/quote]

2 don't want it, 2 slacked, and 1 got a big fed position. Bro, you are right, only 30% get it but not 100% have the same goals for their career. Not everyone there is aiming for biglaw and not everyone will put in the time it takes to even be considered. You can't holistically evaluate the probability of a certain outcome though one very general statistic.

Is it competitive? Yes. Is it less probable than other outcomes? Of course. Is it possible? Definitely. Only one of these school options makes it plausible and that's BC. Now Is it worth the debt? Btw UM grads do get big law in Miami, many strike out at first but plenty end up there. So Miami for the money may actually be the smarter way to go about it.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:51 pm

And remember, you want to go back to Miami. BC basically places in Boston and NY (at a 30% rate) so getting back t FL may be tough. And BC is not worth what you are paying. I can tell you right now, I pay full freight at a T14 and while it worked out in terms of getting BigLaw, that debt is constantly on my mind. BC doesn't place close to well enough to justify that kind of money.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:54 pm

joeant wrote:2 don't want it, 2 slacked, and 1 got a big fed position. Bro, you are right, only 30% get it but not 100% have the same goals for their career. Not everyone there is aiming for biglaw and not everyone will put in the time it takes to even be considered. You can't holistically evaluate the probability of a certain outcome though one very general statistic.

Is it competitive? Yes. Is it less probable than other outcomes? Of course. Is it possible? Definitely. Only one of these school options makes it plausible and that's BC. Now Is it worth the debt? Btw UM grads do get big law in Miami, many strike out at first but plenty end up there. So Miami for the money may actually be the smarter way to go about it.

I think you are seriously overestimating the number of people who slack of or "don't want it". UM for you seems to makse sense as long as you are willing to work any kind of legal job since the debt is low. The problem with BC at that price is you NEED biglaw in order to pay off the loans.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:58 pm

10% of BC grads get big fed? 20% are slackers? I get what you're trying to do OP, and I agree you probably have a better than 25% chance at a firm of 100+ from BC. But you've swung the pendulum too far and you're now vastly overestimating your odds. Let's assume you're just above median, which is a fair assumption (top 40-45%, since you're right, some people at the very bottom may just blow off law school or not be cut out at all for it). You've got an uphill battle to land a big firm job from that spot in BC's class. Certainly not worth 150k to play that game.

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:04 pm

I know.. I can't imagine any other way to pay ever pay. UM is very well respected here but the market is just shit down here.

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:08 pm

romothesavior wrote:10% of BC grads get big fed? 20% are slackers? I get what you're trying to do OP, and I agree you probably have a better than 25% chance at a firm of 100+ from BC. But you've swung the pendulum too far and you're now vastly overestimating your odds. Let's assume you're just above median, which is a fair assumption (top 40-45%, since you're right, some people at the very bottom may just blow off law school or not be cut out at all for it). You've got an uphill battle to land a big firm job from that spot in BC's class. Certainly not worth 150k to play that game.

Just making a point but yes that's a stretch. Yeah and top 40 from BC won't get me anything in Miami whereas top 40 at UM with a stronger local network would help.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:10 pm

joeant wrote:I know.. I can't imagine any other way to pay ever pay. UM is very well respected here but the market is just shit down here.

This is why TCR is retake. If you can get a few more points you will have better options.

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:40 pm

Icculus wrote:
joeant wrote:I know.. I can't imagine any other way to pay ever pay. UM is very well respected here but the market is just shit down here.

This is why TCR is retake. If you can get a few more points you will have better options.

I mean I am pretty content with the options I have, I am just trying to decide among them.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:49 pm

joeant wrote:
Icculus wrote:

I mean I am pretty content with the options I have, I am just trying to decide among them.

If ur cool with about a 60% shot at what is likely a 55k/year job, go to Miami and live at home. 30k in debt is tolerable for that. the other options are too much debt for the job outcomes they offer.

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:03 pm

untar614 wrote:
joeant wrote:
Icculus wrote:

If ur cool with about a 60% shot at what is likely a 55k/year job, go to Miami and live at home. 30k in debt is tolerable for that. the other options are too much debt for the job outcomes they offer.

Job prospects aside, I feel like I would leave BC better educated on the law than I would if attended UM.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:15 pm

joeant wrote:Job prospects aside, I feel like I would leave BC better educated on the law than I would if attended UM.
OK, now you're just trolling. This is among the dumber things I've seen on TLS.

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:23 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
joeant wrote:Job prospects aside, I feel like I would leave BC better educated on the law than I would if attended UM.

Lol. Seriously.

I do not think that for the price UM is a bad option and just may end up attending there. But one thing that really will bug me for the rest of my life is the though that I did not really get the best legal education that I could have given the options I had. And let's say I do ever land a biglaw position, however unlikely it may be, will I always carry an inferiority complex among my peers? Lol sounds dumb but I can't be the only person thinking this when turning down a better school for a cheaper one.. I mean BC is not Harvard, but no one will look down and think "Oh BC? Really...?"

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:29 pm

joeant wrote:But one thing that really will bug me for the rest of my life is the though that I did not really get the best legal education that I could have given the options I had.
So for the love of god, RETAKE.

And for your general knowledge, the quality of the education you receive has nothing to do with your future job performance. The school you attend has everything to do with whether you will get a job at all. It's a cliche, but law school does not teach you how to practice law. Do NOT choose a law school based on some perception of quality of education. Choose a law school based ONLY on employment data and cost.

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:31 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
joeant wrote:But one thing that really will bug me for the rest of my life is the though that I did not really get the best legal education that I could have given the options I had.
So for the love of god, RETAKE.

And for your general knowledge, the quality of the education you receive has nothing to do with your future job performance. The school you attend has everything to do with whether you will get a job at all. It's a cliche, but law school does not teach you how to practice law. Do NOT choose a law school based on some perception of quality of education. Choose a law school based ONLY on employment data and cost.

Seriously... This cognitive dissonance is mind-boggling.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:33 pm

joeant wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:

Lol. Seriously.

I do not think that for the price UM is a bad option and just may end up attending there. But one thing that really will bug me for the rest of my life is the though that I did not really get the best legal education that I could have given the options I had. And let's say I do ever land a biglaw position, however unlikely it may be, will I always carry an inferiority complex among my peers? Lol sounds dumb but I can't be the only person thinking this when turning down a better school for a cheaper one.. I mean BC is not Harvard, but no one will look down and think "Oh BC? Really...?"

I will. I shall deem them all inferior. There, does that make you feel better? :P

Return to “Choosing a Law School”