POS school, but practically free and 2 years!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
T4Rockstar

POS school, but practically free and 2 years!

Postby T4Rockstar » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:28 am

So I've been accepted to a few schools, none of them good. My undergrad GPA was a disgrace. My LSAT was okay so I got some scholarships for t4 schools. I know the prospects of employment are poor, but I'm really not doing anything else.

Florida Coastal School of Law offered me 25,000 for a scholarship and admission to their 2 year fast track program. 2 years is not that long, and my parents will be helping with tuition. I could potentially finish up a JD in 2 years with very little debt. My primary concern is foregoing my chance to apply to a better school and transferring after first year. This is what I initially intended to do.

It seems to me that an almost free JD in two years can only help. Even if I am not looking for big jobs. In this economy and what I've experienced with my English degree... I would be more than happy to be working for 40-60k. Any thoughts? Please share. Oh, and perhaps limit the "you're stupid, pick another profession" comments. I had some medical problems which fucked my undergrad GPA and I got 152 on my LSAT without a minute of studying and having been awake for 24 hours (I actually christmas tree'd the entire logic section). I am not retarded.

rinkrat19

Re: POS school, but practically free and 2 years!

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:30 am

Taking the LSAT without studying and after being awake for 24 hours is objectively retarded behavior.

T4Rockstar

Postby T4Rockstar » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:37 am

It's how I operate. I am really not looking for Big Law jobs. I am looking for my little tiny piece of the pie without having to go back to computer work.

T4Rockstar

Postby T4Rockstar » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:38 am

Oh... and they pay the last semester for you. So that is additional money saved.

empyreanrrv

Postby empyreanrrv » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:43 am

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=floridacoastal

Those are the employment prospects you would be looking at. There is a very good chance you won't actually practice law if you graduate from that school. If you are serious about practicing law, you owe it to yourself to study the LSAT and get into a better school. A free JD can not only help-- it limits you. Do you actually want to practice the law, or do you see it as an easy way to get a 40-60k job?

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:43 am

T4Rockstar wrote:It's how I operate. I am really not looking for Big Law jobs. I am looking for my little tiny piece of the pie without having to go back to computer work.

Do you actually want a legal job after graduating law school? If so, don't go to Florida Coastal. (And if you don't want a legal job after law school, don't go to law school--going to Florida Coastal will just make you less employable for non-legal jobs.) Plan on retaking and this time actually study and sleep the night before.

A lot of people on TLS have been able to make significant jumps from their diagnostic--which is a 152 for you. I went from a 155 to a 174. Waiting is worth it, seeing as you could try going to a school that actually gives you a decent chance at a legal job.

FKASunny

Postby FKASunny » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:44 am

It's called a troll. Don't feed it.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:45 am

RETAKE.

shntn

Postby shntn » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:46 am

Retake, ED UVA.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:46 am

If you're not willing to put in the work to study "even for a minute" for the LSAT, you're not going to put in the work in law school necessary to get a job--if being lazy and thinking you're a special snowflake is "how you operate" law school is not going to work out for you. Even if you were, at Florida Coastal you'd have about a one in three shot of getting a job as a lawyer.

Stop being lazy and retake, or find a different career path.

Postby 052220151 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:48 am

Christmas tree'd means you just guessed right? That's stupid. You should retake or not go.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:49 am

deputydog wrote:Christmas tree'd means you just guessed right? That's stupid. You should retake or not go.

But with your attitude OP, you should not go.

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:57 am

Dude is a total troll. Was funny to read though.

shntn

Postby shntn » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:59 am

jrsbaseball5 wrote:Dude is a total troll. Was funny to read though.

Eh...

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:47 am

Retake. You could easily get a 160+ or even higher.

T4Rockstar

Postby T4Rockstar » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:52 am

Ugh... I typed a "stream of conciousness" message and it didn't post. I am not rewriting that. I live at my parent's house at the ripe age of 31. I am pretty tall and good looking so I think I will interview well. I tried to get into the educational system, but I don't think it is for me. I need something where I am around smart people. I don't particularly like computer work (I've done a bit of SEO work). I've been reading a lot about law school and the material. I read all those old Columbia exams online, and thought it was really interesting. I can see myself becoming hyper-focused and doing really well. My father was prominent in the South Florida law enforcement community. I have some connections there. I would love to do something with Marine Patrol perhaps. Maybe admirality law. I was also accepted to St. Thomas (which has a big alumni network down here in Fort Lauderdale/Miami where I currently am.

A transfer from St. Thomas to UofM's admirality program would be awesome. Just some of the things I have thought about. There is a sense of urgency because I am living with the folks. I am also getting older and financial concerns are starting to really become more serious. I need to be self supporting on some level. I don't mind not making much money. I could live on minimal for quite some time. I want to find a field that I enjoy, while offering increased pay with increased experience. I was also considering law enforcement, but I'm not particularly aggressive. I'm not sure that I would enjoy the types of people that exposes you to.

Anyways.. anymore input would be nice.

Oh... the primary reason I don't want to retake the LSAT is the living situation. Again, there is a sense of urgency and I kind of just want to get the ball rolling on this. I can do two years in hyper-study learn mode. I would do nothing but study and play tennis. I can do that.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:54 am

You're not going to get validation for your shitty plan here. Florida Coastal and St. Thomas are categorically terrible schools that shouldn't even be allowed to exist.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:56 am

You are looking at a terrible law school option. The LSAT is the most important exam you'll ever take and you completely blew it off. You owe yourself a retake. Study for the LSAT and play tennis.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:59 am

Seeing as it looks like you actually want a legal job, my advice remains the same: Retake.

Would you rather wait a year and go to a law school where you have a good shot at getting a legal job in the areas you've been talking about or do you want to spend two years on a degree that has the serious potential to be absolutely worthless?

Don't let the difference of just a year or two make you do something really dumb.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:59 am

empyreanrrv wrote:http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=floridacoastal

Those are the employment prospects you would be looking at. There is a very good chance you won't actually practice law if you graduate from that school. If you are serious about practicing law, you owe it to yourself to study the LSAT and get into a better school. A free JD can not only help-- it limits you. Do you actually want to practice the law, or do you see it as an easy way to get a 40-60k job?

Look at how much their class size has shrunk while their LSAT has continued to free fall... wow

T4Rockstar

Postby T4Rockstar » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:03 am

Even with a higher LSAT, I am not quite sure that is going to help with a 2.7 GPA. I think a transfer would probably be the more realistic option. I am very very confident that I will place well in my class. I don't think a transfer to UM or UF would be unrealistic.

T4Rockstar

Postby T4Rockstar » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:05 am

I have also studied some Spanish. If I did three months in another a Spanish speaking country, I could do well down here. Bilingual is huge in Dade County.

FKASunny

Postby FKASunny » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:06 am

T4Rockstar wrote:I have also studied some Spanish. If I did three months in another a Spanish speaking country, I could do well down here. Bilingual is huge in Dade County.

:lol:

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:09 am

T4Rockstar wrote:Even with a higher LSAT, I am not quite sure that is going to help with a 2.7 GPA. I think a transfer would probably be the more realistic option. I am very very confident that I will place well in my class. I don't think a transfer to UM or UF would be unrealistic.

Actually, it is pretty unrealistic. And it is so much easier (and in your control) to get a 160+ on the LSAT than it is to make sure you are a high enough class rank to transfer.

Also, looks like UM is splitter-friendly. A decent chunk of schools will forgive an awful UG GPA if you have a high enough LSAT score. See http://miami.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1213.

empyreanrrv

Postby empyreanrrv » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:13 am

Take a look at this: http://www.mylsn.info/rxpv74

With an LSAT score of 165-170, you are looking at money from UM. The school is substantially better than your options and all it takes is some months of serious studying.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”