Duke (120k), Chicago (75k), or Berkeley?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Duke or Chicago?

Duke (120k scholly)
27%
Chicago (75k scholly)
67%
Berkeley ($0 - who cares?)
6%

Total votes: 67

pannekoeken

Duke (120k), Chicago (75k), or Berkeley?

Postby pannekoeken » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:57 pm

Hi all! So here are my options:

- Duke is giving me $120k, which is extremely generous. I love Dean Hoye and the whole staff has been extremely helpful to me, but I just didn't fall in love with the campus or the area. Too small townish for me I think.

- Chicago is giving me $75k, which I feel is also generous for my numbers. I actually haven't visited the school since I was a late admit but my mom's family is from Chicago so I've been a few times and I really like it. I also kind of like the fact that Chicago is so competitive because that's kinda the person I am (which is probably a bad thing... haha).

- Berkeley has given me no word on scholarships which I guess means I'm getting nothing. I'd really rather not pay sticker, but Berkeley is only 45 minutes away from my parents' house and I LOVED LOVED LOVED the campus and the area and the professors.

Anyway, COL is basically the same for both Chicago and Duke so the debt I will incur at Chicago will literally be $45k more than Duke. COL would be significantly higher at Berkeley. I want biglaw in LA, the Bay Area, Chicago, or Portland/Seattle to stay near family. I would not want to go to NYC unless that is literally the only job I can get. Eventually, I'd also like to get into academia, but it's not a necessity at this point, and I understand that it would be pretty much out of the question at Duke anyway. I'm also planning on moving with my long-term boyfriend, but he will be graduating college this year and is looking for jobs in all three places right now anyway.

Any thoughts? I'm personally leaning Chicago because I didn't love the Duke feeling as much as I thought I would, but is it really worth $45k more? Also I'm pretty sure Berkeley is out of the question even though it's my dream school just because I can't justify $250k in debt... Thanks to everyone that can help!

WokeUpInACar

Re: Duke (120k), Chicago (75k), or Berkeley?

Postby WokeUpInACar » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:05 pm

This would be close-ish if you were neutral on where you'd prefer to live, but your preference for Chicago makes this a no brainer. Berkeley at that price is a nonstarter.

curious66

Postby curious66 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:18 pm

Chicago and don't look back! Great options though!

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:28 pm

Chicago unless Berkeley gives you a scholarship and/or matches your Chicago or Duke money.

Make sure to send your scholarships to Berkeley if you haven't done so already.

pannekoeken

Postby pannekoeken » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:40 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Chicago unless Berkeley gives you a scholarship and/or matches your Chicago or Duke money.

Yeah, I sent in my matching scholarship request to Berkeley a while ago, and I even did the optional scholarship essay. I'm guessing that since Berkeley knows my deadlines that if I don't hear back by tomorrow night that they just aren't able to offer me anything.

P.S. California biglaw DEFINITELY outweighs Chicago and Portland/Seattle to me, but I'd be fine in any of those places. I don't really think I made that clear in my original post. Also, I just got a DLS from Stanford which I think is a waitlist. I'd love to ride that out, but I think it only really makes sense if I go to Berkeley since the two are so close spatially.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:47 pm

pannekoeken wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Chicago unless Berkeley gives you a scholarship and/or matches your Chicago or Duke money.

Yeah, I sent in my matching scholarship request to Berkeley a while ago, and I even did the optional scholarship essay. I'm guessing that since Berkeley knows my deadlines that if I don't hear back by tomorrow night that they just aren't able to offer me anything.

P.S. California biglaw DEFINITELY outweighs Chicago and Portland/Seattle to me, but I'd be fine in any of those places. I don't really think I made that clear in my original post. Also, I just got a DLS from Stanford which I think is a waitlist. I'd love to ride that out, but I think it only really makes sense if I go to Berkeley since the two are so close spatially.

Eh. Berkeley is super weird with its scholarship stuff so I wouldn't bank on anything. Plus sometimes schools will give you a scholarship and give you like 3 days to reply. Sneaky shit. Don't be afraid to give their financial aid office a call and ask them what the fuck is up with your scholarship money.

Also, right the Stanford waitlist no matter what.

Also, why didn't you apply to H or Y?

pannekoeken

Postby pannekoeken » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:00 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
pannekoeken wrote:

Eh. Berkeley is super weird with its scholarship stuff so I wouldn't bank on anything. Plus sometimes schools will give you a scholarship and give you like 3 days to reply. Sneaky shit. Don't be afraid to give their financial aid office a call and ask them what the fuck is up with your scholarship money.

Also, right the Stanford waitlist no matter what.

Also, why didn't you apply to H or Y?

Thanks!

Honestly, I didn't apply to H/Y because I only got a 170 on the LSAT and that was actually higher than my PTs so I don't think I could have gone higher. I thought my LSAT would give me no shot. I also have no desire to live in Boston or New Haven and only want biglaw, not government or Supreme Court clerkships or anything.

oldschool123

Postby oldschool123 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:17 am

pannekoeken wrote: I actually haven't visited the school since I was a late admit but my mom's family is from Chicago so I've been a few times and I really like it

Chicago seems like a good option here and you've probably seen or heard this in other places but make sure you realize that the school isn't the same Chicago that you visited most likely.....it's a little isolated from downtown (still real easy to get downtown, but it's not like it actually is downtown or walking distance from downtown in the same way that Northwestern is or that Columbia/NYU are in NYC). The campus is beautiful but the surrounding Hyde Park area outside campus is a little underwhelming.

Not that this should prevent you from choosing such a great school, but just want to make sure that you're aware of that since you said you'd never visited it before, just because I know when I visited the school it turned out to not really be what I was picturing just because no one had explained that to me before.

pannekoeken

Postby pannekoeken » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:38 pm

Thanks!
Last edited by pannekoeken on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:42 pm

I would take the money at Duke if you refuse to retake, but really you should try to take the exam again in June and maybe even October.

a year off between UG will do you well even if you don't do anything of consequence, and a 172 or 173 and you're looking at HYS or CCN for free with that golden GPA.

I don't think you can go wrong with either Duke or Chi, but I'd take the almost free of Duke if I had to pick. Very surprised Berkeley hasn't matched either scholarship offer.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:44 pm

I'd call. Nothing to lose, really. They know it's a big deal to you so they should understand.

With your goals, I do think Chicago is the right choice.

K Rock

Postby K Rock » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:30 pm

Call Boalt, if no dice then Chi.

pannekoeken

Postby pannekoeken » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:13 pm

Berkeley is continuing to avoid my calls and emails it seems... does anyone know what the policy is at Chicago for not withdrawing from schools from which you haven't heard a financial aid response when you deposit there?

Postby 06102016 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:18 pm

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:20 pm

Enjoy UChi. It's easily worth $45k more than Duke.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”