Boston or Los Angeles

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Los Angeles or Boston

Los Angeles
50%
Boston
50%

Total votes: 12

Shinhiryuu

Boston or Los Angeles

Postby Shinhiryuu » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:40 pm

I know the two are like night and day, and I have lived in both and when I try to compare them I end up in a stalemate, so maybe someone can help me decide by putting in their input from law school experiences?

Boston:
I went to Suffolk University, didnt graduate from there, I went into extreme culture shock and left and finished elsewhere.
I went to visit last week, during the bombings... and celebrated after, difference is now I have a wife and kids and loved the city feel and vibe.
I love the old style look, the walk-ability from the burbs such as Cambridge and other areas.
I am thinking of attending Suffolk again for law school
Great schools for my children.
I actually own a few business' so money isnt an issue as far as school cost or living goes, Im finishing school for self satisfaction.
Wife loves the Khmer population in Lowell.
My wife is an accountant, so jobs for her good there?

Los Angeles:
My city, native to South Central Los Angeles, so that explains the culture shock I had in Boston when I first left.
I love the beaches and weather.
Great parks for children, including museums, and other things.
Hate driving.
Planing on either USC, Pepperdine, or Loyola.
Have old friends there, but they didnt really do anything with their lives...
Schools are so so, unless I live in a better area, cause I dont want to drive an hour every morning just to take them to school.

Currently in Detroit, I dont want to go to Wayne or Mercy, and Ann Arbor is out of the question. I know I can make USC or Pepperdine and Suffolk is a tier four so yeah.
What do you guys think?
Please no LA haters as well... I hate the whole, fake people argument, I'm a native there, the only fake people there are from other cities that come to LA to "make it big" thus their not really LA people, thanks.

Doorkeeper

Re: Boston or Los Angeles

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:44 pm

1) What are you statistics (LSAT, GPA, etc)?
2) Where do you want to live after law school?
3) Do not go to Suffolk Law. Consider applying to BU or BC.

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:47 pm

Have you already been accepted to these schools or are you applying next cycle? Honestly USC is the only school among the ones you listed that is worth going to. And why not BC/BU instead of Suffolk for Boston?

empyreanrrv

Postby empyreanrrv » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:48 pm

Are you planning on using your law degree, or are you just going for fun? If you own businesses and are well-off financially, it doesn't really matter where you go. If you are fine burning X amount of dollars for a Suffolk degree, (just FYI: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=suffolk), then the T4 school doesn't matter-- by all accounts it is not any indication of the quality of the instruction. If you are planning on using the law degree to get a law job, you'll want to go to a better school than Suffolk.

As for Boston or LA-- I vote Boston. Lived here for 6 years so far and love it.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:49 pm

Shinhiryuu wrote:I know the two are like night and day, and I have lived in both and when I try to compare them I end up in a stalemate, so maybe someone can help me decide by putting in their input from law school experiences?

Boston:
I went to Suffolk University, didnt graduate from there, I went into extreme culture shock and left and finished elsewhere.
I went to visit last week, during the bombings... and celebrated after, difference is now I have a wife and kids and loved the city feel and vibe.
I love the old style look, the walk-ability from the burbs such as Cambridge and other areas.
I actually own a few business' so money isnt an issue as far as school cost or living goes, Im finishing school for self satisfaction.

Los Angeles:
My city, native to South Central Los Angeles, so that explains the culture shock I had in Boston when I first left.
Hate driving.
Schools are so so, unless I live in a better area, cause I dont want to drive an hour every morning just to take them to school.

Currently in Detroit, I dont want to go to Wayne or Mercy, and Ann Arbor is out of the question. I know I can make USC or Pepperdine and Suffolk is a tier four so yeah.
What do you guys think?
Please no LA haters as well... I hate the whole, fake people argument, I'm a native there, the only fake people there are from other cities that come to LA to "make it big" thus their not really LA people, thanks.

wtf :?:

Shinhiryuu

Postby Shinhiryuu » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:50 pm

I havnt test LSATs and all. I know it sounds silly to think that far ahead without testing first. However like I said before, Suffolk is where I went before and its not really about getting a law job after since I own business' its for self satisfaction. I mean its more about the cities than the actual law schools. Where do you think a person with a family and a wife in accounting would fit in better?

Shinhiryuu

Postby Shinhiryuu » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:51 pm

celebrated when they caught the guys? I wouldnt celebrate the actual bombings!

sanjola wrote:
Shinhiryuu wrote:I know the two are like night and day, and I have lived in both and when I try to compare them I end up in a stalemate, so maybe someone can help me decide by putting in their input from law school experiences?

Boston:

Los Angeles:
Hate driving.

What do you guys think?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:59 pm

Shinhiryuu wrote:celebrated when they caught the guys? I wouldnt celebrate the actual bombings!

sanjola wrote:
Shinhiryuu wrote:Boston:
I went to visit last week, during the bombings... and celebrated after

A completely off-thread, unsolicited suggestion: get in the habit of reading what you write carefully and trying to correct for potentially offensive ambiguities like that one.

Substantively: come back when you have an LSAT score. You're shouldn't worry about choosing a law school until you have options.

Shinhiryuu

Postby Shinhiryuu » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:07 pm

Trying to correct against any potential argument is impossible? Like people being offended I think LA's weather is better because I may not like snow and they do?
Anyways, its not about which law school honestly, as I have states before. More over of which city to move to, in order to enjoy law school. I'm pretty sure I can get into at least one law school in ALL OF BOSTON.
patrickd139 wrote:
Shinhiryuu wrote:celebrated when they caught the guys? I wouldnt celebrate the actual bombings!

sanjola wrote:
Shinhiryuu wrote:Boston:
I went to visit last week, during the bombings... and celebrated after

A completely off-thread, unsolicited suggestion: get in the habit of reading what you write carefully and trying to correct for potentially offensive ambiguities like that one.

Substantively: come back when you have an LSAT score. You're shouldn't worry about choosing a law school until you have options.

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:09 pm

You have all the time and resources to study for the lsat. Sign up for velocity lsat online and take six month to learn it. Write an awesome personal.statement about.running.your own successful businesses and get into BC/BU/UCLA/USC. Its not like you are in a rush, so don't get complacent with aiming toward a school and take your time in your prep.

Shinhiryuu

Postby Shinhiryuu » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:12 pm

Thank you :)
joeant wrote:You have all the time and resources to study for the lsat. Sign up for velocity lsat online and take six month to learn it. Write an awesome personal.statement about.running.your own successful businesses and get into BC/BU/UCLA/USC. Its not like you are in a rush, so don't get complacent with aiming toward a school and take your time in your prep.

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:28 pm

Shinhiryuu wrote:Thank you :)
joeant wrote:You have all the time and resources to study for the lsat. Sign up for velocity lsat online and take six month to learn it. Write an awesome personal.statement about.running.your own successful businesses and get into BC/BU/UCLA/USC. Its not like you are in a rush, so don't get complacent with aiming toward a school and take your time in your prep.

It won't be easy.... but. YOU CAN DO IT! Don't get discouraged with the lsat. There is a steep curve. Eventually (cpl months in) it will begin to click. You'll know when. From there practice taking exams and take the October and December lsats. GL!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”