UCLA $$$ vs. Georgetown $$ vs. NYU $

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU ($250,065 total COA)
36%
UCLA ($124,174 total COA)
64%

Total votes: 53

Goodman

Postby Goodman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:13 pm

I plan to retake the LSAT in June, but in the meantime, I need to put down a deposit somewhere. Currently, these are my best options. What do you think? My goals are LA biglaw and/or a federal clerkship.
Last edited by Goodman on Wed May 01, 2013 6:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

untar614

Re: UCLA w/120k vs. NYU

Postby untar614 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:15 pm

Plz rank in order of preference:

LA biglaw
NYC/anywhere else biglaw
LA mediocre law
NYC/anywhere else mediocre law
crap job in LA

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:21 pm

I think at these prices UCLA but not with the expectation of getting a federal clerkship. But your chances of clerking out of NYU arent that much greater. Best reasonable shot at your goals is Boalt with $.

That being said, congrats on NYU - its a great law school, just maybe not for your purposes.

Goodman

Postby Goodman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:49 pm

untar614 wrote:Plz rank in order of preference:

LA biglaw
NYC/anywhere else biglaw
LA mediocre law
NYC/anywhere else mediocre law
crap job in LA

LA biglaw > anywhere biglaw > LA mediocre law > anywhere mediocre law > crap job in LA

Basically, I have a strong preference for California, but I will go where the best jobs are.

Goodman

Postby Goodman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:55 pm

jbagelboy wrote:I think at these prices UCLA but not with the expectation of getting a federal clerkship. But your chances of clerking out of NYU arent that much greater. Best reasonable shot at your goals is Boalt with $.

That being said, congrats on NYU - its a great law school, just maybe not for your purposes.

Yeah, the Boalt wait list was a heartbreaker.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:03 pm

With a 172/3.82, you should have gotten a significant scholarship at NYU.

Retake and reapply. You should be T6 bound with an NYU and/or Chicago scholarship in the mix or a large scholarship from Penn, Berkeley, or UVA.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:08 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:With a 172/3.82, you should have gotten a significant scholarship at NYU.

Retake and reapply. You should be T6 bound with an NYU and/or Chicago scholarship in the mix or a large scholarship from Penn, Berkeley, or UVA.

Goodman

Postby Goodman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:16 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:With a 172/3.82, you should have gotten a significant scholarship at NYU.

Definitely retaking in June. I'm just wondering if it makes sense to deposit at NYU now and then hit them up for a scholarship when my (hopefully higher) June score comes out.

I'm in my late twenties, so I'm trying to avoid having to reapply.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:01 pm

Goodman wrote:

Definitely retaking in June. I'm just wondering if it makes sense to deposit at NYU now and then hit them up for a scholarship when my (hopefully higher) June score comes out.

I'm in my late twenties, so I'm trying to avoid having to reapply.

You can always try that, but I would worry that you'll be less likely to get an acceptance from NYU next year if you deposit then just ask for a handout after you deposit. On that note, what rationale would they have for giving you a scholarship after you deposit?

I really think that retaking and reapplying is the right call here.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:39 pm

I don't even know if OP has to retake, but they should reapply and seriously re-evaluate their PS/resume/bent of application. 172 is a solid score, they should be in at CCN and down with money with a somewhat respectable chance at Harvard.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:41 pm

I'm guessing you applied very late? I can't imagine these are your only options with those numbers.

Goodman

Re: UCLA $$$ vs. Georgetown $$ vs. NYU $

Postby Goodman » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:38 pm

Bumping this to update my figures after a week of negotiating. Now my options are NYU with 30k, Georgetown with 75k, and UCLA with 120k.

I know I'm going to get killed for this, but I'm leaning toward NYU. I just don't think I'll be happy at Georgetown or UCLA.

I have some theories about my performance this cycle. I sent my applications out in early January, and I think this put me at a distinct disadvantage (especially for Berkeley, which probably would have been the best fit for me). Also, I dropped out of high school when I was 17, and I (probably foolishly) wrote about this experience in my personal statement. Finally, though I have been out of undergrad since 2009 (earned my master's in 2011), I don't have much in the way substantive work experience.

So, that's that. I'm retaking in June. Maybe I'll get off a wait list. Maybe I'll reapply. But starting law school at 29? I just don't know if I could do that.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:42 pm

Goodman wrote:Bumping this to update my figures after a week of negotiating. Now my options are NYU with 30k, Georgetown with 75k, and UCLA with 120k.

I know I'm going to get killed for this, but I'm leaning toward NYU. I just don't think I'll be happy at Georgetown or UCLA.

I have some theories about my performance this cycle. I sent my applications out in early January, and I think this put me at a distinct disadvantage (especially for Berkeley, which probably would have been the best fit for me). Also, I dropped out of high school when I was 17, and I (probably foolishly) wrote about this experience in my personal statement. Finally, though I have been out of undergrad since 2009 (earned my master's in 2011), I don't have much in the way substantive work experience.

So, that's that. I'm retaking in June. Maybe I'll get off a wait list. Maybe I'll reapply. But starting law school at 29? I just don't know if I could do that.

I feel you on the age thing. The biggest mistake of my life. Not being a K-JD or one year off and then back to school.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:42 pm

Goodman wrote:Bumping this to update my figures after a week of negotiating. Now my options are NYU with 30k, Georgetown with 75k, and UCLA with 120k.

I feel you on the age thing. The biggest mistake of my life not being a K-JD.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed May 01, 2013 12:38 am

FWIW, it will be almost identical to starting law school at 28.

Goodman

Postby Goodman » Wed May 01, 2013 12:54 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:FWIW, it will be almost identical to starting law school at 28.

Yes, plus one more year of spinning my wheels and barely making ends meet. You're right, of course.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 01, 2013 5:23 am

Goodman wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:FWIW, it will be almost identical to starting law school at 28.

Yes, plus one more year of spinning my wheels and barely making ends meet. You're right, of course.

I question the logic behind the assumption that going hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt is a substantial improvement to "barely making ends meet". Law school will not improve this condition, at least not until you're 40.

Go to NYU this year if it will make you happy, but you know you could do better.

I dont know about the impact of the dropping out of high school bit. I doubt it made much difference unless it was a major C&F issue or you just came off as extremely irresponsible. Dropping out of college would be bad tho.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed May 01, 2013 9:16 am

I work a crappy job (less than 30K a year in a large city) and put off law school for another cycle when I was 28 years old. I will be 29 when I start and my options are infinitely better this cycle. What is the difference between 28 and 29? Sometimes being a grown up is about delaying gratification and making tough decisions (although I hardly think putting off going to a fancy law school for a year is tough. That's #firstworldproblems).

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Wed May 01, 2013 10:59 am

Also, I dropped out of high school when I was 17, and I (probably foolishly) wrote about this experience in my personal statement.

Normally, UCs, and Cal in particular, just love stories of overcoming adversity. But the problem is that his happened 10+ years ago, so the essay would have had to fast forward quickly to who you are today to make it relevant to LS.

edited to add: the other big publics, Michigan and Virginia would also love a life story about overcoming adversity, if done correctly.

Goodman

Postby Goodman » Wed May 01, 2013 12:42 pm

Thanks, all. I really appreciate the feedback. Your points are well taken. As I've said, I plan on retaking in June. And I very well might reapply, especially if I earn a higher score.

Something I forgot to note was that, for personal reasons, I had to limit my applications to schools in major cities. This meant that UVA, Duke, Michigan, and Cornell were off the table. These are schools that might have offered me generous scholarships that I could have used as leverage with NYU. If I do reapply, I'll probably cast a wider net next time.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed May 01, 2013 4:24 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:

... You really need to stop posting.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed May 01, 2013 4:28 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:

I'm fine with him trolling, he just has to make it funny and/or interesting. Bring something to the table.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu May 02, 2013 1:29 pm

BigZuck wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:

I'm fine with him trolling, he just has to make it funny and/or interesting. Bring something to the table.

Ain't no one trolling. You guys give me way too much credit. You guys act as if I just sit here at my desk and try to annoy everyone with every single post I make. Plenty of people regret starting law school after having taken a lot of time off. There isn't a big benefit to having done so. I agree that a year or even two of solid WE is probably good for one's future employment prospects. But after that, it is pointless to take more time off. You fuck yourselves in many ways by not going to LS at a young age.

And no, I am not going to stop posting. I have at times contributed substantively in the past to this forum. I am not going to write a dissertation everytime I post like you guys. I have better things to do with my time. Not being a K-JD was a very big mistake for me. I am sure many people agree with this sentiment.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 02, 2013 1:58 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:... You really need to stop posting.

Ain't no one trolling. You guys give me way too much credit. You guys act as if I just sit here at my desk and try to annoy everyone with every single post I make. Plenty of people regret starting law school after having taken a lot of time off. There isn't a big benefit to having done so. I agree that a year or even two of solid WE is probably good for one's future employment prospects. But after that, it is pointless to take more time off. You fuck yourselves in many ways by not going to LS at a young age.

And no, I am not going to stop posting. I have at times contributed substantively in the past to this forum. I am not going to write a dissertation everytime I post like you guys. I have better things to do with my time. Not being a K-JD was a very big mistake for me. I am sure many people agree with this sentiment.

You may feel like "not being a K-JD was a mistake", but I find it difficult to believe you could reasonably justify this, and certainly very few would agree. Even if you claimed lost income/opportunity, blank space in your resume hurt your application, you were more inspired out of UG or had better contacts, or you told us your life had sucked since graduation (whatever else could conceivably support K-JD?), none of this would necessarily be substantially improved going to law school earlier. Lack of experience could weaken you as a candidate and a future employee. K-JD's miss out on opportunities by virtue of attending law school. and if you don't feel like you made good use of your time post-grad that's on you. You can't say it was a mistake not to attend directly after college because you haven't experienced that for comparison and there's no evidence to suggest it's any better.

We caution college-age students against jumping directly into law school when they haven't maxed out their LSAT and they don't have a clear career path. Clearly some K-JD's who hit 175+ and know what they want are not making a bad choice by any means. But in (I would argue) the majority of instances, the changing nature of the legal market over the past 5 years has made it far less practical to enter law school directly, especially when there is a clear reward for gaining higher LSAT/life perspective, for a number of reasons that have been well articulated all across these forums.

This doesn't apply to OP, who is already late 20's. just thought I'd point out if others haven't already why your view may face criticism.

caveat: I'm not saying your a troll or that you shouldn't post. a multitude of opinions remains valuable. it's just important to not mislead people by proselytizing one sentiment or experience as a universal truth

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Thu May 02, 2013 2:11 pm

Not being a K-JD was a very big mistake for me.

Perhaps, but highly unlikely. (You just aren't that special; no one is.)

IMO, all top law schools should require work experience, just like top MBA programs. It is one thing to sit in a torts class at the age of 21/22, with mommy/daddy paying all the bills, and quite another to sit in it after you have paid your own bills for a couple of years.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”