Berkeley ($45K/Year) v. NYU ($40K/Year) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU ($120K) v. Berkeley ($135K)

NYU ($40K/year)
35%
Berkeley ($45K/year)
65%

Total votes: 26

Aussiebum

Bronze

Berkeley ($45K/Year) v. NYU ($40K/Year)

Post by Aussiebum » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:44 pm

Hello everyone! I am choosing between two very different schools: Berkeley and NYU. I have received substantial financial aid offers from both schools and I think I would fit in very well at either place. I am very interested in international human rights and I do not have a geographical preference for where I would like to practice once I become a lawyer. It is very important for me that I attend a law school that is recognized nationally and internationally. I know that NYU is slightly more prestigious and has better placement in clerkships, government and NGOs. Is it true that NYU is a much better choice from an academic/employment standpoint? I know that the quality of life/weather at Berkeley would be better suited for me: I like being outdoors, running, cycling and I prefer a more relaxed/friendly environment. I find NYC to be dirty, cold, busy and overwhelming. I am also concerned about the COL in NYC v. Berkeley. I will be taking out loans to cover the remainder of my expenses and I think I could live much more comfortably on a student budget at Berkeley. However, I do not want to miss out on the employment opportunities that would come with an NYU Law degree. HELP!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Re: Berkeley ($45K/Year) v. NYU ($40K/Year)

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:54 pm

Aussiebum wrote:Hello everyone! I am choosing between two very different schools: Berkeley and NYU. I have received substantial financial aid offers from both schools and I think I would fit in very well at either place. I am very interested in international human rights and I do not have a geographical preference for where I would like to practice once I become a lawyer. It is very important for me that I attend a law school that is recognized nationally and internationally. I know that NYU is slightly more prestigious and has better placement in clerkships, government and NGOs. Is it true that NYU is a much better choice from an academic/employment standpoint? I know that the quality of life/weather at Berkeley would be better suited for me: I like being outdoors, running, cycling and I prefer a more relaxed/friendly environment. I find NYC to be dirty, cold, busy and overwhelming. I am also concerned about the COL in NYC v. Berkeley. I will be taking out loans to cover the remainder of my expenses and I think I could live much more comfortably on a student budget at Berkeley. However, I do not want to miss out on the employment opportunities that would come with an NYU Law degree. HELP!
Are those numbers scholarship amounts or costs?

Regardless, Berkeley and NYU are very similar schools and it sounds like you would be a lot happier in Berkeley, so that's my vote. If NYU offers any advantage in career opportunities, it is extremely limited. Keep in mind that no matter what you'll need to think about an alternative to working in international human rights because to the extent those jobs exist they're uber-competitive.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:02 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Aussiebum wrote:Hello everyone! I am choosing between two very different schools: Berkeley and NYU. I have received substantial financial aid offers from both schools and I think I would fit in very well at either place. I am very interested in international human rights and I do not have a geographical preference for where I would like to practice once I become a lawyer. It is very important for me that I attend a law school that is recognized nationally and internationally. I know that NYU is slightly more prestigious and has better placement in clerkships, government and NGOs. Is it true that NYU is a much better choice from an academic/employment standpoint? I know that the quality of life/weather at Berkeley would be better suited for me: I like being outdoors, running, cycling and I prefer a more relaxed/friendly environment. I find NYC to be dirty, cold, busy and overwhelming. I am also concerned about the COL in NYC v. Berkeley. I will be taking out loans to cover the remainder of my expenses and I think I could live much more comfortably on a student budget at Berkeley. However, I do not want to miss out on the employment opportunities that would come with an NYU Law degree. HELP!
Are those numbers scholarship amounts or costs?

Regardless, Berkeley and NYU are very similar schools and it sounds like you would be a lot happier in Berkeley, so that's my vote. Keep in mind that no matter what you'll need to think about an alternative to working in international human rights because to the extent those jobs exist they're uber-competitive.
+1 for Berkeley here. You aren't losing anything going to Cal, and if you don't like NYC, I don't see why you would move there for 3 years. There are many opportunities at both schools to work on international human rights projects while you are in school, and I've spoken to a lot of students who've gone on them 1L or 2L summer -- maybe a slight bump to NYU here -- but as dixiecup mentioned, there are very few actual careers BEYOND law school in it.

Then again, this is coming from someone who will probably take CLS/NYU over the cheaper Cal option. I also prefer the student body at Cal, the more relaxed environment, and I could keep my car. The reason I may go east is the following: Everyone at Berkeley I spoke to seemed to who was interested in international/comparative law focused on Asia, with far fewer resources devoted to Europe. the New York schools, conversely, have entire centers of European comparative law and many dual degree opportunities in the UK/France, although CLS does also have some strong traditional ties to Japan. As someone who has spent significant time in Europe working on European issues, this impacts me. However, this is a small nuance that wouldn't impede you in the least if you are just interested in human rights projects abroad, and I'll admit the degree to which my impressions are credited could also be challenged.

So unless you have a particular affinity for one of NYU's profs or programs, I'd take berkeley in your shoes.

totoro

Bronze

Post by totoro » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:05 pm

From an international point-of-view, Berkeley is a much more famous school (maybe could get you in more doors). More people have not heard of NYU. So I don't think that NYU necessarily gives you the "name" advantage for the types of jobs you are looking for anyways.

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:35 pm

totoro wrote:From an international point-of-view, Berkeley is a much more famous school (maybe could get you in more doors). More people have not heard of NYU. So I don't think that NYU necessarily gives you the "name" advantage for the types of jobs you are looking for anyways.
Yeah, I think more everyday people know the name Berkeley more than they do NYU. If NYU offers any advantage for international stuff, its that NYC is a pretty international city, but if you don't want to be in NYC, that doesn't help. And if DC is your goal, Berk placed a slightly higher % in DC last year. So that, lower COA and the fact you will likely be happier there, I vote Berk.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:00 pm

For what you want to do, NYU is undoubtedly the better school. There are huge advantages to going to school in NYC for your line of future employment (however mythical that may be).

However, if you don't like the environment of NYC then don't go to school in a place that will make you miserable for 3 years.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:27 pm

What kind of human rights exactly?

NYU has a big advantage of being in NYC and they also offer much better funded post-graduate job opportunities for human rights/public interest grads. This is HUGE for people who want to break into IHR.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:24 pm

worldtraveler wrote:What kind of human rights exactly?

NYU has a big advantage of being in NYC and they also offer much better funded post-graduate job opportunities for human rights/public interest grads. This is HUGE for people who want to break into IHR.
OP, you should listen to worldtraveler, she actually knows what's up on this stuff. (Most people are either "lol international law" or just don't know anything specific about it, including me.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”